Funky string ties

I bought a Bruce Wei that just arrived...it took all of 4 hours to decide to change the strings (actually, I knew when it arrived that I would switch to fluorocarbons). I really wanted to record the ukulele as it came--and did.

The stringing for a Bruce Wei is a little "cray-cray." I just tied the new strings like normal...but there are multiple holes to go through if you could ever figure out what he did again...

To me it looks like the string slots were so damaged someone made a makeshift tie on bridge.

To me, it looks like they just strung it up as a wrap-around type bridge...the kind sometimes seen on electric guitars with certain bridges. It looks like they tied a knot in the end of the string, then sent it through the hole towards the end of the uke then brought it back over the bridge towards the tuning machines and attached it. That could be done with pretty much any tie bridge, but I don't know why you'd want to.. More odd to me is that there appears to be no saddle there...just a flat top bridge....not even a raised portion built in. Maybe I'm just not seeing the pics clearly enough, but that's what I see.

Don't try this at home. Knots in the speaking length of the string will dampen the sound. This uke will sound terrible.

Top Bottom