Can I post a rather personal experience since taking up the ukulele?

cyber3d

Reaction score
Ok, I thought this might be interesting. And I wonder if anyone else has experienced a similarly significant impact from their own ukulele adventure.

Ok, so background; family is from Hawaii. Maui actually - where our roots are. We moved to Los Angeles in the late 50s. We visited annually for a long time. Eventually, we stopped. When I was 20 I lost my father, then my sister, then my mother all in a handful of years. Life went on in L.A. In 2005, major accident and TBI while living in Seattle. Back in LA since 2008.

I take up the ukulele on a lark a few months ago. Borrow a friends uke and now own my own beautiful uke. Today, while listening to some old Hapa albums. I breakdown. Balling like crazy. Floods of memories I lost to the traumatic brain injury come back to me. I remember my sister's love for Hawaii, my love for the Hawaiian culture, my dad's pidgin accent, my very special cuz Vanessa, my grandmother (who used to be a traditional hands on healer and how she used to work her magic on me), the music my family played on the stereo, the lifestyle, eating sugarcane from the fields, and so much more. My eyes still tearing up.

My sister was very special to me, loved her so much. She died too young. Getting in touch with these lost memories have really affected me and will continue for ever.

And I owe it all to taking up the mighty ukulele! It has brought a big part of my heart alive again.

Peace.

Last edited:
Wow, that is a very personal story. Thank you for sharing. music is a wonderful thing. I Love the ukulele.
I'm so glad this happened for you. Music is emotion for sure. All the best!

cyber,
My most sincere condolences. I'm very happy that you are playing the uke, and honored that you decided to confide this to us. I advise, let the tears flow. We never get over losses like these, we just become okay with it after healing and time. Pour your feelings into your playing, let your losses become your creative energy. Experiences like yours are what birth some of the most moving melodies ever. Don't push yourself to "get over" anything, be gentle with yourself. Allow the healing, it will happen in time. Play on, my friend, and thanks for sharing this beautiful story with us!

Music is something that can open many locked doors, in many ways. Music therapy is a legitimate field--and all the more reason to keep supporting efforts like Ukulele Kids Club!

I am so happy that these memories came back--hopefully there is great joy with the sorrow.

Wow! Thank you for sharing. :)

That is an awesome thing to experience, thank you for sharing. Maybe Doctors should be handing out ukuleles instead of prescriptions.

Music is emensely poewrful.
I also suspect that growing up in Hawaii
Is a special experience that leaves an
Impression on people.

Thank you for sharing your deeply personal
Story.

I agree with what has been said and the advice given. This is a very special blessing to experience. Im sure your tears are filled with joy as each memory comes to you. Let yourself cherish this time and heal healthy during this time.

My best!

Linda

:shaka::shaka:

What a powerful moment. Hopefully those tears will give way to joyful smiles in due time.

After playing uke for kids in UCLA/Mattel hospital musical therapy program, I see how valuable patients playing music can be. Your experience is just more proof of how important music is.

Cyber, thank you for sharing this with us. We appreciate it. I'm so glad your Uke was able to unlock the door to those lost memories in a way nothing else could. They might be small but they have a magic touch on our lives.

cyber - thank you for sharing something so personal. Lots of what you have written resonates with me.

Some of us have writing our 'coming-to-uke' stories, here in another thread create by fellow UU brother Choirguy not too long ago, and I thought you might like to read it:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?125081-Your-story-how-ukulele-found-you

Hey Booli, thank for the link. Good and heart warming to read the stories. Still a bit raw from my revelations. Can only play sad melodies for now. But, that's the process for me. cheers.

Thanks for sharing your story and your feelings cyber3D. I 1st started playing uke when I was feeling super lost a several years ago. The stress of life started building up again and once again I turned to the mightly uke for peace & harmony for my soul. Stay up brah:shaka:

Last edited:
Top Bottom