Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tension?

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    Uke-relative, why might I profit by purchasing digital calipers?

Also --- I have a special ruler for measuring string height above fret, but I find it difficult to get very precise. Is there a better way?
    Digital calipers are useful for measuring the string diameter in case you forgot which strings are installed, or are trying to compare sets of strings based upon diameter, when the string company has neglected to include this info on the string pack, or if you have a ziplock bag of random, unlabeled strings and want to identify them by diameter, so that you can install them in the correct position.

I cannot tell the difference by eye or with a loupe or head-visor-magnifier which string is a 0.0224" vs. 0.0244" vs 0.0260", but with digital calipers, I can tell the difference in about 1 second by measuring the string.

In my post above to another thread, there is a link and a photo showing a 'string action gauge' or 'string action ruler', as per most folks that do a pro setup on guitars and ukes, 2.5mm at the 12th fret is considered a minimum height (lower will usually cause fret buzz) and 2.65mm-2.75mm a nice sweet spot, while higher than 3.0mm is considered high action, and makes it harder to press strings down, especially for barre chords and tends to make intonation sharp as you go up the neck since the string has to stretch and bend MORE once it is fretted due to the distance above the fretboard.

Adjusting string height and play-feel is about the geometry from the string's vibrating length at the nut to the saddle, and the height of the endpoints will determine the relative non-parallel angle of the string above the fretboard, as well as it's height above the fretboard, both of which can also be mitigated by using an adjustable truss rod if available in said instrument...
    Please click here for Booli's Help Page which contains tips & answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
    If you are a uke newbie, this will be good reading for you.
    [ o>==::

I have a metal string action *ruler* -- is that *state of the art* or is there something for measuring string height that does not rely so heavily on my ability to discern MM differences?
    Last edited by bellgamin; 08-08-2017 at 08:29 PM.

I have a metal string action *ruler* -- is that *state of the art* or is there something for measuring string height that does not rely so heavily on my ability to discern MM differences?
    The string action ruler that I have in both the mm and inches scales has a stack of black lines, e.g.
    1mm, 1,25mm, 1.5mm, 1.75mm, etc and I just line up the bottom of the string with the top of the stack of lines and it's pretty easy to see the level, but I;ve seen other similar device made where the printing is a single line, that in itself is less than 1mm thick, and difficult to see even in good light without the shadow of a string over it...

Another option is to use FEELER GAUGES, metric markings will be easier to deal with unless you are good with math using fractions in 64ths of an inch.

I will try to take and post a photo of the item I have, maybe tomorrow (WED AUG 9) if I get some time...
    Please click here for Booli's Help Page which contains tips & answers to Frequently Asked Questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    The string action ruler that I have in both the mm and inches scales has a stack of black lines, e.g.
    1mm, 1,25mm, 1.5mm, 1.75mm, etc
    My ruler is the same, but I'm quite sure that your eyesight is better than mine. Also, when I graduated Navy OCS, I wanted to be a line officer, but I flunked the spatial-relations test, so I had to go into Supply Corps instead. Ergo, I am *spatially challenged*.

Another option is to use FEELER GAUGES...
    I have searched a bit for feeler guages. So far I haven't been able to find any feeler set that goes above 1.0mm. I'm still searching.

On Ebay I did find an interesting gadget at HERE. The product description indicates it might be a tad easier to use that a ruler. I ordered it, so --- time will tell.

...I have searched a bit for feeler guages. So far I haven't been able to find any feeler set that goes above 1.0mm. I'm still searching.

On Ebay I did find an interesting gadget at HERE. The product description indicates it might be a tad easier to use that a ruler. I ordered it, so --- time will tell.
    Sorry for your eyesight issues, mine is getting worse. yesterday when I went to fill out the card for the Megamillions lottery for my mother, I could not read the numbers with the low contrast of the light-pink background, and faint-red numbers, and I felt silly asking a nearby teenager to write the marks for me, so I guess I qualify as disabled until I get a stronger or bi-focal prescription - sucks getting older...

anyway - that item on ebay looks great and very simple to use, either with ambient light or a flashlight, provided you have the visual acuity to see the light's 'wedge' and where it ends as it meets the bottom of the strings.

re: feeler gauges, I have a set that all together must be about 10mm thick with the full stack of gauges, something like this:

and I'm pretty sure that one of the thicker if not thickest single blade is 1mm, but maybe you are not using them properly, as it was my understanding that you would stack the blades to make height that was in-between each gradation if needed, or stack the blades to make taller, and then in the end just add the values of the thicknesses of all the blades together, so if you used a 0.25mm + a 0.35mm + a 1.1mm blade, you'd add their values and end up with a total of 1.7mm...have you tried using them that way?

...re: feeler gauges, I have a set that all together must be about 10mm thick with the full stack of gauges ... and I'm pretty sure that one of the thicker if not thickest single blade is 1mm, but maybe you are not using them properly, as it was my understanding that you would stack the blades to make height that was in-between each gradation if needed, or stack the blades to make taller, and then in the end just add the values of the thicknesses of all the blades together, so if you used a 0.25mm + a 0.35mm + a 1.1mm blade, you'd add their values and end up with a total of 1.7mm...have you tried using them that way?
    Hmm ... feeler gauges, eh? Sounds a bit like a s*x toy (kidding).

The idea of stacking them had never occurred to me. I shall buy a set ASAP and give it a try. Thanks!!

Hmm ... feeler gauges, eh? Sounds a bit like a s*x toy (kidding).

The idea of stacking them had never occurred to me. I shall buy a set ASAP and give it a try. Thanks!!
    No worries. I've not been to Oahu, so not sure what shops are there, but any hardware store or auto-parts store here in NJ usually has them, and likely Harbor Freight and Northern Tool have them cheaper than Stewmac online, and of course there is always Amazon and eBay...

Try the paper string height gauge. I tried it and it worked fine for me. http://youtu.be/ysNByKoB5tE
    Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle Tenor
    Islander AC-4 Concert (Car Uke!)

Thread Information