Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tension?

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    ...I have searched a bit for feeler guages. So far I haven't been able to find any feeler set that goes above 1.0mm. I'm still searching.

On Ebay I did find an interesting gadget at HERE. The product description indicates it might be a tad easier to use that a ruler. I ordered it, so --- time will tell.
    Sorry for your eyesight issues, mine is getting worse. yesterday when I went to fill out the card for the Megamillions lottery for my mother, I could not read the numbers with the low contrast of the light-pink background, and faint-red numbers, and I felt silly asking a nearby teenager to write the marks for me, so I guess I qualify as disabled until I get a stronger or bi-focal prescription - sucks getting older...

anyway - that item on ebay looks great and very simple to use, either with ambient light or a flashlight, provided you have the visual acuity to see the light's 'wedge' and where it ends as it meets the bottom of the strings.

re: feeler gauges, I have a set that all together must be about 10mm thick with the full stack of gauges, something like this:

and I'm pretty sure that one of the thicker if not thickest single blade is 1mm, but maybe you are not using them properly, as it was my understanding that you would stack the blades to make height that was in-between each gradation if needed, or stack the blades to make taller, and then in the end just add the values of the thicknesses of all the blades together, so if you used a 0.25mm + a 0.35mm + a 1.1mm blade, you'd add their values and end up with a total of 1.7mm...have you tried using them that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    ...re: feeler gauges, I have a set that all together must be about 10mm thick with the full stack of gauges ... and I'm pretty sure that one of the thicker if not thickest single blade is 1mm, but maybe you are not using them properly, as it was my understanding that you would stack the blades to make height that was in-between each gradation if needed, or stack the blades to make taller, and then in the end just add the values of the thicknesses of all the blades together, so if you used a 0.25mm + a 0.35mm + a 1.1mm blade, you'd add their values and end up with a total of 1.7mm...have you tried using them that way?
    Hmm ... feeler gauges, eh? Sounds a bit like a s*x toy (kidding).

The idea of stacking them had never occurred to me. I shall buy a set ASAP and give it a try. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by bellgamin View Post
    Hmm ... feeler gauges, eh? Sounds a bit like a s*x toy (kidding).

The idea of stacking them had never occurred to me. I shall buy a set ASAP and give it a try. Thanks!!
    No worries. I've not been to Oahu, so not sure what shops are there, but any hardware store or auto-parts store here in NJ usually has them, and likely Harbor Freight and Northern Tool have them cheaper than Stewmac online, and of course there is always Amazon and eBay...

Try the paper string height gauge. I tried it and it worked fine for me. http://youtu.be/ysNByKoB5tE
    Kanile'a KSTP Natural Koa Tenor (High G)
    Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle Tenor (Low G)
    Martin 0XB Soprano (Everyday Carry)

Thread Information