We Secret Ukers

It seems like the advantages of internet anonymity have already been explained through several posts.
I use my full name on Facebook, though even that is not always smart. That calls for privacy settings so not everyone can see your fotos, posts, etc. and I never log into any 3rd party pages with my FB account.

Other than that I see no good reason for using your real name online - unless you need to promote your real business or art through fora or social media. If you want people to be able to find you, you can't prevent them at the same time. But most of us are amateurs with no need for that. I don't need someone googling my name to find a YouTube video of me singing out of key for the Seasons, that doesn't make people take me more serious for what I work with.

Dick,
I am very sorry.
I behaved like a total ass.
I had no right to empty my own trash
on you and the good people here.

Dick,
I am very sorry.
I behaved like a total ass.
I had no right to empty my own trash
on you and the good people here.

we all have our moments . . . glad to see you are in a better place!

I wonder why most of us are anonymous.

You've obviously never heard me play. ;)

Actually, I am posting under my name. Given how many of my major retailers have been hacked, I seriously doubt Uke Underground will be my undoing at this point.

And luckily, all the things I've done that I don't want you to know about I did before the digital era, so there's no public shame in using my own name, haha...

I don't use an alias anywhere. I think it makes me a little more accountable for what I say. Something about anonymity, not just online, but driving around in traffic, can bring out the worst in people. (Nice to see Mountain Goat come back to apologize, and take ownership for his previous comments, alias or not. You also handled that really well, alias or not... undermining my whole thesis, darn you!)

But there's nothing secretive about my love for ukes, that's for sure, boy I bet some of my friends and family wish I were a bit more secretive, lol...

Last edited:
I must be a bit foolish .. I use my real name, and my real photo as my avatar .. so someone can copy it and use it as their fake passport ..
Just don't blame me if you do actually try, and get arrested and detained at the airport :)

Seriously though, I choose to accept accountability for who I choose to be, because we all choose to be someone when it comes down to having a public or online identity, I choose to be myself, for better or worse, but I choose to be accountable for myself.

If worse comes to worst, and someone wants to insult me or be maliciously vindictive because I like a different Ukulele to them, I say go for your life, I've got Ambulance Fund Cover anyway, so if someone's insults hurt me too much I can just call an ambulance and they'll attend to my wounded ego.

Happy Ukeing :)

I think it's inspiring the way you refuse to let your furry little mitten paws stop you from enjoying the ukulele.

Yeh I don't let anything stop me, I even do a bit of fingerpicking.
I tried playing with my teeth, like Jimi does, but I accidentally chewed through the neck, Dam It, so I refrain from trying that anymore.

Pretty funny, Beaver....

I'm not telling you all if this is my real name or not. So I leave you to wonder about it. That is, if you care to.
This is a silly thread.
Therefore, I'm going to bed.

Hi, everybody on the entire internet, my name is Crabmueller J. Fondant. I live in the greater Pittsburgh area. I won't type my exact street address here, but you can find it in a matter of moments.

Is anyone else attending the Scranton Uke Scrumble on September 15-19th? I can't wait! I'll be spending that whole week in Scranton. I'm bringing my Ohana soprano.

In my sigline you'll see a list of all my nice instruments, most of which I will be leaving at my empty home while I am away. See you in Scranton!

-------------
Blackbird Farallon
Kamaka Soprano
Mya-Moe Tenor resonator
Ohana Soprano
Martin D28 guitar
Wouldn't you bet I have a good stereo and a nice tv, too?
:biglaugh:

Yeah, sure, chances are you can get away with posts like this once or twice, but does it really strike you as a good idea? I can drive around with no seat belt and most of the time it's ok!

+1

This for me is the real reason. It is so easy to talk about a trip or what you have, especially if a person is on different forums. Not wanting to be overly paranoid, but it is not that different than posting on Facebook.

John

No offense, but this is why I prefer to remain semi anonymous. Its DrCreosote's fault, he teaches cyber security at a local JC.

Well if people Google me professionally, I would like to keep my UAS and UU forum life private. Plain and simple.

My real name is so common that it would not make a difference. I hope I would never post anything that was offensive or hurtful. Some of it may be sophomoric. But not hurtful. Please squash the rumor. My real name is not Paul Plunker.

Top Bottom