Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrade to Pono?

Question upgrade to Pono?

[I] posted this in the beginner forum but it may be more appropriate here:

I've been thinking about upgrading from my Kala TEM, and see that I can get a Pono for less than $400.
    Would there be that much difference in the playability and sound, since that would be at the bottom of the Pono line?
    Any suggestions for other brands that would be higher quality without breaking the bank

In 2005 I bought my first Ukulele, a Lanikai. The following year I bought a Pono, I still love and play the Pono, and I paid less than $400 for it.
    It is very high quality and in my opinion one of the best values in ukuleles, period.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Kala Concert
    Compass Rose 5 string
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

I have a Pono AT. Terrific ukulele......under $400 new. You can get MT in mahogany and also a mango version. All Satin finish. All great playing and made ukuleles. My AT was first ukulele....I have a custom made and MTD-SP both worth more but I still love this all acacia tenor. Probably will never sell it. It loves fro string.

Quote Originally Posted by Pueo View Post
    In 2005 I bought my first Ukulele, a Lanikai. The following year I bought a Pono, I still love and play the Pono, and I paid less than $400 for it.
    It is very high quality and in my opinion one of the best values in ukuleles, period.
    I agree with this post. You could probably post a WTB or Want to Buy a used Pono in this forum and someone will well you one at 25% off posted rate on the internet.
    How bad is your UAS?

I have a Pono Mango Soprano. Very nice uke. Great build. Love the sound.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Huge Pono fan here, having tried several models across their entire line, I would say their entry level models like the AT or MT are just as well-made as their top-of-the line Pro Classic models (just without the bling and no gloss finish). My AT is as good as any K-brand I have owned.

Pono's have a large and loyal fan base for good reason. They are good values. But there are other good values, too. So I'd first ask, "What are you looking for with another uke?" You ask if a lower end Pono would be an upgrade in tone (maybe) and playability (that depends entirely on you as playability gets into personal preferences about neck shape, fretboard width, string spacing, etc.). Do you have someplace you can try a Pono and other ukes in the $400 range?

Are you interested in trying other sizes? Or other woods?
    More an appreciator of the ukulele than a true player. My motto is: "Don't matter how good it ring if it ain't got some bling."

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.—Voltaire

Curious about the relative importance of tonewood vs. the luthier? See Luthiers for a Cause to learn more!

There are lots of Pono fans around here, but, they have a thick neck and I prefer a thinner neck, take a look at Kalas and Ohanas for your $400.00 price range.
    Just Play

Sopranos: 1st uke, Lanikai soprano LU-11 - Aquilas | 30's Martin style 0 - Martins | Fender Piha'eu - Worth Browns | Lanikai banjolele - Fremont Blacklines
    Concerts: Kanile'a K-2 CP - Living Water | Islander AC-4 - Living Water
    UBass: Kala Rumbler - Pahoehoe

Each maker's neck has a slightly different geometry. I own a MT which I really like the sound of but I wish the neck was 1/16" to 1/8" wider at the nut.

-- Gary

I love Pono necks - of course, they're all I know, but I'd hate for them to be any thinner than they are. They felt "just right" to me from the get-go. Only thing I'd change is not have the strings spaced quite as far apart, so I wouldn't accidentally bend the outer ones right off the edge of the fretboard at times. (But that'd probably happen with any uke - just a "noob problem" from a player accustomed to stiffer steel strings on a mandola.)

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Thread Information