Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrade to Pono?

People have their preferences.

I like the thickness of the Pono neck WITH a radius of the Pono Pro Classics. I find it comfortable.

And I don't think the string spacing is too far ... and I haven't had any issues with strings pulling off the fret boards.
    How bad is your UAS?

I recently purchased a Pono mahogany Deluxe Soprano. Despite being keen on Pono from my early uke playing days I missed them out and went for everything but them. Koaloha, Martin etc.

I'm sorry I waited so long. The MSD is outstanding in sound, looks and build.
    Koaloha

Commissioned, Wunderkammer Ike Soprano.

Quote Originally Posted by sam13 View Post
    I like the thickness of the Pono neck WITH a radius of the Pono Pro Classics. I find it comfortable.

And I don't think the string spacing is too far ... and I haven't had any issues with strings pulling off the fret boards.
    It's definitely me, and not the ukes. My left hand tends to be overly aggressive, due to pressing down double-coursed steel mandola strings. I need to work on developing a gentler touch.

As far as radius vs. non-radius, I have one of each (and multiples of each w/mandolas). I don't really have a preference either way. Blindfolded, I probably couldn't tell the difference.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

I LOVE my Pono. I have no problem switching from ukes twice as expensive back to my Pono. Love the feel of it, the sound... just a great ukulele.

Quote Originally Posted by mmfitzsimons View Post
    I LOVE my Pono. I have no problem switching from ukes twice as expensive back to my Pono. Love the feel of it, the sound... just a great ukulele.
    Same here. I have several Pono's along with a number of higher end ukulele's and the Pono's completely hold their own. I think they are an excellent choice. I would definitely be sure to play around with different string options on them as that can make a huge difference in how they (or most any quality instrument) will sound.

The fact that my Pono has such high quality it has actually prevented me from purchasing a K brand ukulele a few times. There is a KoAloha I really wanted but I honestly could not justify the added expense as it was not significantly better than my Pono. That has happened with Kamaka and Kanile`a as well.
    I am currently saving for a custom ukulele and there has never even been one second where I would consider selling my Pono to finance it.
    Glad to see others feel the same way.
    Plus, I like Andrew and his dad.
    1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Purple Kamoa GC-700, Kala Concert
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

1:5255
    My Quiver: S & J Craft Milo Tenor "Liliu" six string custom and Milo and Lychee concert by Emil Bader
    Pono PKT-1 Koa Tenor w/MiSi, Lanikai LU-21T - Autographed!, Hikare CU 528 Baritone
    R&L all koa mini concert, Mainland Gecko, Epiphone Les Paul Vintage, Purple Kamoa GC-700, Kala Concert
    Nothin' left to do but : ) : ) : )

Well, then, that settles it. I see no reason whatsoever to get any higher end ukuleles. Ponos will do me just fine.

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Look for one of the OLDER Ponos in KOA wood as they are better looking and my opinion as having owned three they sound better. Put it out there & see if one is for sale

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Well, then, that settles it. I see no reason whatsoever to get any higher end ukuleles. Ponos will do me just fine.

bratsche
    No reason to get them sight unseen, but lots of fun to try them out if you get the chance, though.

Thread Information