upgrade to Pono?

olphart

Reaction score
posted this in the beginner forum but it may be more appropriate here:

I've been thinking about upgrading from my Kala TEM, and see that I can get a Pono for less than $400.
Would there be that much difference in the playability and sound, since that would be at the bottom of the Pono line?
Any suggestions for other brands that would be higher quality without breaking the bank

In 2005 I bought my first Ukulele, a Lanikai. The following year I bought a Pono, I still love and play the Pono, and I paid less than $400 for it.
It is very high quality and in my opinion one of the best values in ukuleles, period.

I have a Pono AT. Terrific ukulele......under $400 new. You can get MT in mahogany and also a mango version. All Satin finish. All great playing and made ukuleles. My AT was first ukulele....I have a custom made and MTD-SP both worth more but I still love this all acacia tenor. Probably will never sell it. It loves fro string.

In 2005 I bought my first Ukulele, a Lanikai. The following year I bought a Pono, I still love and play the Pono, and I paid less than $400 for it.
It is very high quality and in my opinion one of the best values in ukuleles, period.

I agree with this post. You could probably post a WTB or Want to Buy a used Pono in this forum and someone will well you one at 25% off posted rate on the internet.

I have a Pono Mango Soprano. Very nice uke. Great build. Love the sound.

Huge Pono fan here, having tried several models across their entire line, I would say their entry level models like the AT or MT are just as well-made as their top-of-the line Pro Classic models (just without the bling and no gloss finish). My AT is as good as any K-brand I have owned.

Pono's have a large and loyal fan base for good reason. They are good values. But there are other good values, too. So I'd first ask, "What are you looking for with another uke?" You ask if a lower end Pono would be an upgrade in tone (maybe) and playability (that depends entirely on you as playability gets into personal preferences about neck shape, fretboard width, string spacing, etc.). Do you have someplace you can try a Pono and other ukes in the $400 range?

Are you interested in trying other sizes? Or other woods?

There are lots of Pono fans around here, but, they have a thick neck and I prefer a thinner neck, take a look at Kalas and Ohanas for your $400.00 price range.

Each maker's neck has a slightly different geometry. I own a MT which I really like the sound of but I wish the neck was 1/16" to 1/8" wider at the nut.

-- Gary

I love Pono necks - of course, they're all I know, but I'd hate for them to be any thinner than they are. They felt "just right" to me from the get-go. Only thing I'd change is not have the strings spaced quite as far apart, so I wouldn't accidentally bend the outer ones right off the edge of the fretboard at times. (But that'd probably happen with any uke - just a "noob problem" from a player accustomed to stiffer steel strings on a mandola.)

bratsche

People have their preferences.

I like the thickness of the Pono neck WITH a radius of the Pono Pro Classics. I find it comfortable.

And I don't think the string spacing is too far ... and I haven't had any issues with strings pulling off the fret boards.

I recently purchased a Pono mahogany Deluxe Soprano. Despite being keen on Pono from my early uke playing days I missed them out and went for everything but them. Koaloha, Martin etc.

I'm sorry I waited so long. The MSD is outstanding in sound, looks and build.

I like the thickness of the Pono neck WITH a radius of the Pono Pro Classics. I find it comfortable.

And I don't think the string spacing is too far ... and I haven't had any issues with strings pulling off the fret boards.

It's definitely me, and not the ukes. My left hand tends to be overly aggressive, due to pressing down double-coursed steel mandola strings. I need to work on developing a gentler touch. ;)

As far as radius vs. non-radius, I have one of each (and multiples of each w/mandolas). I don't really have a preference either way. Blindfolded, I probably couldn't tell the difference.

bratsche

I LOVE my Pono. I have no problem switching from ukes twice as expensive back to my Pono. Love the feel of it, the sound... just a great ukulele.

I LOVE my Pono. I have no problem switching from ukes twice as expensive back to my Pono. Love the feel of it, the sound... just a great ukulele.

Same here. I have several Pono's along with a number of higher end ukulele's and the Pono's completely hold their own. I think they are an excellent choice. I would definitely be sure to play around with different string options on them as that can make a huge difference in how they (or most any quality instrument) will sound.

The fact that my Pono has such high quality it has actually prevented me from purchasing a K brand ukulele a few times. There is a KoAloha I really wanted but I honestly could not justify the added expense as it was not significantly better than my Pono. That has happened with Kamaka and Kanile`a as well.
I am currently saving for a custom ukulele and there has never even been one second where I would consider selling my Pono to finance it.
Glad to see others feel the same way.
Plus, I like Andrew and his dad. :D

Well, then, that settles it. I see no reason whatsoever to get any higher end ukuleles. Ponos will do me just fine.

bratsche

Look for one of the OLDER Ponos in KOA wood as they are better looking and my opinion as having owned three they sound better. Put it out there & see if one is for sale

Well, then, that settles it. I see no reason whatsoever to get any higher end ukuleles. Ponos will do me just fine.

bratsche

No reason to get them sight unseen, but lots of fun to try them out if you get the chance, though.

Top Bottom