upgrade to Pono?

Look for one of the OLDER Ponos in KOA wood as they are better looking and my opinion as having owned three they sound better. Put it out there & see if one is for sale

When did they start adding the truss rod to the Ponos? An older one may not have one, which may not be an issue considering many ukuleles are made without them, but might be worth considering. I haven't needed to adjust mine yet but I do like that they have them.

Last edited:
When did they start adding the truss rod to the Ponos? An older one may not have one, which may not be an issue considering many ukuleles are made without them, but might be worth considering. I haven't needed to adjust mine yet but I do like that they have them.

I think the Pono PTK'S (Koa) were pre truss rod (circa 2009/2010) and pre radius fretboard (circa 2011/12). I remember people loving that short run of Koa Ponos.

Last edited:
A LoPrinzi is a great uke for less money, like a Pono. They have very thin necks, if that's one's preference. (A uke like a Kala is more middle of the road in neck thickness, IMO.) But it all depends on what you like.

This is a "for what it is worth" contribution. Up here in Southern Vermont we have occasional get togethers - Ukulele flash mobs. They are great opportunities to meet and share as well as play. The variety of instruments is amazing and I find most people more than willing to share both experience and instruments at the gathering. We just do not have convenient stores that sell a variety of ukuleles. There are so many options out there. I find that I now have a Martin, Kamaka, Mele, Mainland and Bruko. Each one is different with their own enduring qualities. If I had to choose one above all it would be hard. the necks, wood and size are varied. Maybe I am fortunate to be able to have these choices. I also play banjo and guitar and all five of my ukuleles still cost less than one decent banjo.

Pono seem to make excellent instruments - I have never played one. For $400 there are so many great choices out there. Again in the FWIW opinion/experience my most reached for instrument is an old, beat up, Kamaka pineapple, followed up by the Mele pineapple. My old Martin from about 1934 gets played the least. The old Kamaka has a funny shaped neck and the fingerboard is level with the body making is different from the get go. SO - RESEARCH - PLAY YOUR FRIENDS INSTRUMENTS, maybe visit a store if one is available to you.

Sorry if this is off point -
Ian

posted this in the beginner forum but it may be more appropriate here:

I've been thinking about upgrading from my Kala TEM, and see that I can get a Pono for less than $400.
Would there be that much difference in the playability and sound, since that would be at the bottom of the Pono line?
Any suggestions for other brands that would be higher quality without breaking the bank

Going along with the thread and the other commenters, Pono would be a great choice. While I love my Kala but I think it would be worth the investment to get the Pono or another all wood or solid top uke. Pono's are a great all solid ukuleles. The Kala TEM is a full laminate. They are still good but the sound produced is decent but the solidtops and all solids tead to resonate more. Better to invest more money now then buying the Kala then wanting to upgrade a little while later. Just cut out the middle step.

I had a pono for a few years and loved it. They really are great quality. Just my opinion.

If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend you play one. As people have mentioned, they do have a thicker neck than many other brands. You may love that or hate it. It sounds like you are taking your first step up the quality ladder. There are many choices at your desired price point.

Last edited:
Top Bottom