Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Season Of The Ukulele #286

I love this song by the Makaha sons.

In case you are wondering, I have changed my youtube account because I was getting unwanted attention. I have also made my video unlisted so if cannot be searched. I hope that is okay.
    Liz

Ohana Tenor TK50 MG - solid cedar top
    Red Soprano Mahalo
    Kala Waterman
    Green Kala KA-CEM Exotic Mahogany Concert (Low G)
    Purple Bugsgear Soprano

I first heard "Blue Lei" lyrics by R. Alex Anderson, music by Milton Beamer from Kimo Hussey and Zanuck Lindsey. They were performing it for HawaiiMusicSupply. I fell in love with it. There weren't to many sources for chords so I worked this off of their video. Not the same but close enough for me
    Here is theirs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY-2H9WkIfI&index=13 its beautiful.

Robert Alexander Anderson (R. Alex Anderson) (June 6, 1894 May 29 or 30, 1995) was an American composer who wrote many popular Hawaiian songs within the Hapa haole genre including "Lovely Hula Hands" (1940) and "Mele Kalikimaka" (1949), the latter the best known Hawaiian Christmas song. Anderson was born in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything.

I pulled this together on the fly. It's been a long week.

Like Linda, I too chose a song by R. Alex Anderson. He wrote over 100 songs, and this one is said to have been his favorite. It has become a standard hula dance tune. All the dance footage included in this video is of dancers dancing to this song. I have synced the song and the dance movements (as much as possible).

This beautiful little uke came my way recently, and Hawaiian songs sound right at home on her.
    Here's one by Johnny Noble and Gordon Beecher (who ended up as a Vice Admiral in the U.S.Navy - now that's my kind of military guy: one who composes wonderful songs too!)
    I know it isn't a roots Hawaiian song, but I do think it very evocative, and a joy to play....

This cold has only got worse over the course of the week, but I really wanted to bring something this week, so here it is. I've been run off my feet and I'll be up a mountain for the next few days, so I had to squeeze in a quick and dirty recording today. Sorry about the voice cracking early on. Also, don't mind the cat. She just likes to feel involved with things.

It looks like RAB11 and I have been thinking along the same lines doing Jack Johnson songs.

TCK and I often joke that we share a brain, so when he posted his plugged in version of The Beach Boys' Hawaii I laughed, because I had the exact same idea for the exact same tune. So he's been egging me on to do a version myself. I'll be honest, this has been one of the shittiest weeks of the year and I'm tore down. But, third time's a charm. And Melissa. So here you go. #parentingishard
    And one more thing, I'd give just about anything to get some more face time with The Ukelites. Love you guys!

It took a few alternate tales to wear Sean down...and the threat of not breathing

AND while it is still fresh....

It's the songs, isn't it?

Thread Information