Season Of The Ukulele #286

The Ukelites

Reaction score

Aloha,

and welcome to the Aloha Season, fellow Seasonista!

As you know, we don’t find enough time to contribute to the Seasons as often as we’d like to, but we still love the Seasons and now, that we have holidays, we’re glad to host another week. Let’s get it on!

This weekend we have the honor to welcome Kimo Hussey as our guest and to play as support for his Munich concert this Sunday. Therefore and because Hawai’i is the homeland of our beloved little instrument, this Season shall be dedicated to the wonderful islands of Hawai’i.

PLAYLIST https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiuA-d8Zvh_Z37o7FbyabXCn5ylnu2Gw5

BONUS PLAYLIST https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiuA-d8Zvh_YotREsgH3XsieLrtOjRadS

THE QUEST:
Play any classic Hawaiian song or a song recorded by a Hawaiian artist. Alternatively play a song with Hawaii in the title or in the lyrics. If you want to come along with your self written songs make sure it has Hawaii in the title or in the lyrics.

• One official entry only!
You may post a 2nd or 3rd song but we’ll only comment and put in the playlist the first entry, no changes during the week. There’ll be a bonus playlist.

• Ukulele front and center, multitrack welcome, entries from 6th to 13th of August (Hawaiian time)

Aloha
Miri & Steffen

Last edited:
Aloha Miri and Steffen.
That's quite a collection of ukes.
I have tried to sing Hawaiian songs before but it really isn't me so I've written this little original for this season.
The shirt is actually MADE in Hawaii btw.

I predict a big Hawaiian shirt week and maybe Myrna will oblige us with a hula dance.....
Expecting something from Damon this week too.

Like Pa, I've never been to Hawaii and though it would be nice to go, it's unlikely I ever will. I'm also not familiar with Hawaiian Music but I remembered that a certain Elvis Presley made a movie called Blue Hawaii so here is the title song. My video camera went on the blink so the video was done on my 8" Android Tablet but the audio is from the multi track recorder I usually use. The video came out much better than I expected, for all that.

Like Pa, I've never been to Hawaii and though it would be nice to go, it's unlikely I ever will. I'm also not familiar with Hawaiian Music but I remembered that a certain Elvis Presley made a movie called Blue Hawaii so here is the title song.

It is interesting to note that although Elvis was not Hawaiian he had a great love for Hawaii and the music. He recorded many Hawaiian inspired songs and he nearly always included some in his concerts. His anniversary death is next week, Aug 16th. Here is a good read on the influence Hawaiian music had on his career https://www.elvis.com.au/presley/articles-elvishawaii.shtml

Aloha Ukelites!

I may not be able to offer a song this week, but hope to have time to at least watch those of others here.

I would also like to take the opportunity to say to both The Ukelites, and all other fellow Seasonistas, that YOUR videos and music that you have shared have always been both a blessing and an inspiration for me, and I feel privileged to be able to observe them.

Thank you all, for sharing all of your wonderful music and bringing such a joyful sound into this world. :)

Mahalo,

Booli

Yes, I will definitely play something this week! Say 'Aloha' to Uncle Kimo for me! He is a friend of mine :) He would probably be happy to be in a Seasons video himself!

Aloha Ukelites!

I may not be able to offer a song this week, but hope to have time to at least watch those of others here.

I would also like to take the opportunity to say to both The Ukelites, and all other fellow Seasonistas, that YOUR videos and music that you have shared have always been both a blessing and an inspiration for me, and I feel privileged to be able to observe them.

Thank you all, for sharing all of your wonderful music and bringing such a joyful sound into this world. :)

Mahalo,

Booli

My thoughts exactly. I'm going to do everything I can to get a song up this week. It's a real privilege to have you guys hosting a season.

It was either this, or "Ukuleles aren't allowed in bluegrass" since I recently did "Hula hula boys." If I had the talent to play a slack-key guitar, this would have been a perfect add for one of my favorite obscure early Kinks songs. Instead, here you go. Thanks for hosting, Miri and Steffen!

Aloha!

Oh Yes! I like this theme. It would be a great time for some us to step out of the box and check out Kimo's channel and try and learn something new. I think he is a fantastic teacher. https://www.youtube.com/user/KimoHusseyUkulele

Thanks for hosting Miri and Stephen. We don't get to see you often enough. This is also a great time for the newer seasonistas that are unfamiliar with your channel to check it out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClUgkwnbekbhhm-R_qdtFEw

I was just thinking the same thing Linda. Thanks for the links.

a song off the truly wonderful israel kamakawiwoʻole album, "facing future"

"hawaii 78"

Aloha!

As we have guests from Hawaii, California and Taiwan till tomorrow (very nice ukulele people!), we will watch and comment tomorrow evening.
Playlist is on now! Mahalo for the first videos! :cool:

I'll be honest, Hawaiian music is an area I have rarely ventured in to, so this week will be an education. In the meantime, I do know a bit about Abba...If anyone has the original "Arrival" album, this one might sound a bit familiar. They recorded it, but then recycled the backing track and used it for a new song "Why Did It Have To be Me", which went on the album. "Happy Hawaii" turned up later as a B-side and on expanded editions of the Arrival CD.

I'm another with no Hawaiian music in my repertoire, but I do have an Hawaiian shirt, so that's something. This is a cover of Honolulu Baby, a song written for the 1933 Laurel and Hardy film Sons of The Desert. If you haven't seen Olly playing and singing this whilst Stan dances you have missed a treat

I'm yet another who doesn't do Hawaiian music, nor do I own a Hawaiian shirt. I had this song by Roy Acuff on a cassette tape many years ago, and it amused and entertained me back then, so it popped in my head when this Season came around. Looking it up now though, this song was a lot more popular than I thought. Turns out it was recorded by several swing/big bands from the 1930's thru the 50's, and there's a 1933 Merrie Melodies cartoon of this song title, that uses the song in it. I had fun finally getting a chance to try this song, but it was a challenge to try and pull off.

Last edited:
Aloha, Seasonistas!

This melody dates all the way back to the 1860s (more history here), I first heard it performed by an anonymous Japanese ukulele player, and I cribbed this arrangement from a performance on the Lawrence Welk Show.

Mahalo, Ukelites!

Top Bottom