Season Of The Ukulele #286

My second entry, but I had to do this one. This is one of the oldest Hapa Haole songs, published in 1916. It was composed by Hawaiian Henry Kailmai, and has been performed by innumerable Hawaiian artists. I added some electric picking on my new Koa Flea, and also added a bit of electric piano for fun.

Last edited:
Australia once belonged a long time ago to the Hawaiian islands.
What??? it didn't well this aboriginal song has that Polynesian feel to it.
But instead of singing of Carra Barra I sang of Kärkjärvi in Finland.
Footage from an epic swim my wife did with the grandkids across the lake
at the summer cottage.

Kärkjärvi, Kärkjärvi, little star upon the lake,
Guide me through the hours of darkness, keep me safely till I wake
Piccaninnies' heads are nodding, drowsy crooning fills the air,
Little eyes at last are closing, and the boat of dreams is there.
Guide my boat across the waters, cross the waters still and deep,
Light me with your little candle, safely to the land of sleep.
Kärkjärvi, Kärkjärvi, little star upon the lake,
Guide me through the hours of darkness, keep me safely till I wake

Last edited:
Aloha, Seasonista!
31 official videos so far and some 7 bonus songs. Yes, we had a great time watching as you hopefully had too.

These came in newly:

Joko: Tiny Bubbles
Don Ho once again, this time impersonated by the one and only Joko McKenna! Was it fun? Well, listening to this with my big headphones and suddenly some more Jokos singing call and response harmonies, I felt like sitting in pub already having my 3rd beer and everybody is singing along – yes, this is fun and gave my a big smile in my face. Mahalo, Joko!

cua94: Hokule’a, Star Of Gladness
Originally by brother Iz now beautifully interpreted by sister Liz. Thank you for joining in, this was a sweet and soft performance, you did very, very well. Don’t be annoyed about unwanted attention (some of the best performers have some nasty haters in the net!) but be pleased about the wanted attention. We enjoyed this very much. Mahalo, Liz, Aloha!

lelouden: Blue Lei
Just beautiful! A beautiful song (thanks for the link), beautifully sung and played with some nice strumming and picking mixture on your gorgeous baritone. You captured the spirit so well! Your chords sound fine, Linda, you really did a marvelous job again. Mahalo!

Demimondaine: You’re Welcome
Aloha, Chelsea! What a treat on this OST fun song – and with the ukulele instead the orchestration we feel even more welcome! You sang it with verve and in good spirits so we enjoyed this very much. Mahalo!

myrnaukulele: Haole Hula
Wow, this was excellent, Myrna! Not only picking a wonderful song but doing this entertaining video with the Hula (did you synchronize the story the Hula dancers tell with the right part in the song really? Impressing!), then you dressed up so beautifully playing surrounded by your blooming flowers. Thank you very, very much for adding so much Aloha to this Season. Not to forget that you played and sang it so wonderful as you always do. Mahalo!

Strumdaddy: Song Of Old Hawaii
That’s a great song and you sure know how to play and to sing it in the grand old style! And wonderful setting btw! Your ukulele is very nice, it is good that you restored it. We have a Kumalae Gold Medal too (like Tiny Tim played) – in times when traveling was something only the upper class did, the big Hawaiian hotels gave one of these to every guest as a gift. Mahalo, strumdaddy!

robinboyd: Banana Pancakes
One of the nicest JJ songs – we’re glad your cold couldn’t keep you from your ukulele and bringing in this feel good tune. In spite of your slightly handicapped voice you did a very nice recording, Mahalo! Get well soon and thank you for being part of this Season. Aloha!

ukuleledaddy: Hawaii
Yeah, Sean’s in the house! We’re not surprised that you had the same idea as your twin in silliness – we really wonder how you came through the whole song despite your little video bomber, hahaha! Know what? Feeling beats overdrive! Very well performance, Daddy! We’re so happy that you made it to our Season although you had such a hard week. Mahalo, Sean! BTW: Rope binding ukulele – quite Hawaiian style. Hope to see you next year. Aloha!

decaturcomp: Hawaii
Same songs, completely different interpretation. Alan, you really made it to shift this song into a sad mood, we hope it’s only for artistic reasons, old friend. This was touching for sure. Thank you for joining in and hope to see you next year, Mahalo!

Greetings,

I am sure someone has done this, but my love for this song by Iz and his version led me to try it. Here it is "Somewhere Over the Rainbow / Wonderful World" as he covered it.

Ciao

Dr. Creosote was so excited to hula for me whilst I sang. I hope you enjoy our version of the Hukilau Song.

Still one day to go, we have still space left for more entries and bonuses – so c’mon everybody and join in!

Three great new entries came up:

Ginas uke: Somewhere Over The Rainbow / Wonderful World
The 2nd Israel Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole song for the Aloha Season – this time the probably biggest ukulele hit ever. Gina, you did a fine version with sweet humming and singing – or as turtle drum better described: heartfelt and tender. Benissimo, grazie mille!

bighatbulls: The Hukilau Song
Aloha, Stephen, we’re sure when playing, singing and dancing with so much fun as you did all the 'ama'ama come a-swimmin' to you! We love this funny song (doesn’t everybody?) and you really did a great rendition! Plus shirts and leis and lava from the Kilauea! Great entry, Mahalo!
PS: We thought, Mr. Creosote hadn’t survived this last wafer thin mint?

jazzbanjorex: Making Love Ukulele Style
Yeah, Rex, who’s needs Dino? Your version rocks with powerful singing and hot strumming your rope binding pineapple uke. And where did you find this little dancer? Excellent performance once again, we’re so glad to have you in our Season, Rex! Mahalo!

Here is my entry for this week. It is a forecastle shanty sung on the old whaling ships which used to go down to the Hawaiian islands for R&R after long months hunting whales in the arctic ocean.

As a bonus, those of you who haven't heard it might like to hear my song about the history of the Ukulele and Portuguese (and generally Western) influence on the island's eco systems. It includes me on Seagull Merlin and my mate Jim playing the Cavaquinho - the steel strung father of our beloved family of instruments.

That you can find here.

And here is my entry for 286:

Lyrics & Chords in the Youtube Description

Here is my entry for this week. It is a forecastle shanty sung on the old whaling ships which used to go down to the Hawaiian islands for R&R after long months hunting whales in the arctic ocean.

As a bonus, those of you who haven't heard it might like to hear my song about the history of the Ukulele and Portuguese (and generally Western) influence on the island's eco systems. It includes me on Seagull Merlin and my mate Jim playing the Cavaquinho - the steel strung father of our beloved family of instruments.

That you can find here.

And here is my entry for 286:

Lyrics & Chords in the Youtube Description

Barbablanca: Rolling Down To Old Maui
Aloha, Bernie, old buccaneer, good to have you aboard! And this time unexpectedly a non-original but an old shanty about seamen relaxing on Maui (and having a bad influence on polynesian girls). Convincing performance as always, this was just great again with excellent time keeping, picking and background choir! Mahalo!

In the Morning, a Jack Johnson song, done in the early morning ( "method uking?")
... must remember to lower camera or brush my hair.

In the Morning, a Jack Johnson song, done in the early morning ( "method uking?")
... must remember to lower camera or brush my hair.

dickadcock: In The Morning
What a sweet and tender video to slowly sneak out Season 286. Thank you for this beautiful JJ tune – the 3rd now for the Aloha Season – with a nice picking /strumming mixture and silent and sensitive singing what was ideal for this title. You really captured the mood. Mahalo!

I'll Remember You

Finding a Hawaiian song was a hard challenge, as I don't know a whole lot of Hawaiian artists.

With a little help from Google I discovered Kui Lee, and decided to give this song a shot. I am almost surprised that no one else has done it, since googling hawaiian songs will bring this up alongside Tiny Bubbles etc.

I actually know quite a few Hawaiian songs by heart. One of 'em I can't sing yet! Still needs some work. Here is an original I wrote way back in the day about a year after I learned to play the uke. Usually "Lamb Chop" sings this one for me :) I also might sing it a bit different and, um, I'm wearing Hawaiian shorts but...guess you can't see that huh? Lol.

Code:
I was strolling on this little beach at Hanauma Bay

Thought, If I have a choice when it comes my time

I know just what I’ll pray……….

I hope I don’t get lost along the way
Cuz, next time I’m comin’ back Hawaiian

I just love to feel that ocean spray

Next time I’m comin’ back Hawaiian

Beneath the tall palm trees

Mele for lahui    	              (Songs for the people of HI)		

He’e nalu fun                       (Wave sliding fun)

Upon the sea

A hui hou is what I’m gonna    say, Eh eh, Eh eh       (See ya later)

But send me back to the past

Help Lili’u okalani last

Tell Captain Cook

What to do with his fore mast

Nā ʻAumākua  please show me the way                     (family gods)

Don’t be sad upon my fated    day,  Eh eh, Eh eh       

Next time I’m commin’ back Hawaiian

Send me back by any means

Before there was sunscreen

I’d like to be born with hula

In my genes

Next time I’m comin’ back

Oh, yeah, I’m comin back

A#maj[0565]    [0567] [0565]    
Oh, oh, yes I     am
Amaj[0454]           [0455] [0454]           
When I kick the  can
      G#maj[0343]  [0345] [0343]  [0345]  G maj7
I’m coming    back Ha   waii   an

Finding a Hawaiian song was a hard challenge, as I don't know a whole lot of Hawaiian artists.

With a little help from Google I discovered Kui Lee, and decided to give this song a shot. I am almost surprised that no one else has done it, since googling hawaiian songs will bring this up alongside Tiny Bubbles etc.

UkingViking: I’ll Remember You
Aloha to Denmark! What a surprise, we didn’t know this one because searching for classic ukulele or steel guitar songs doesn’t lead you to this Hawaiian artist playing Bossa Nova style music on nylon string guitar. So we’re glad you did it and showed with your soft picking and warm singing timbre what a beautiful song this is. And you did it justice although this really is a hard one with complex harmony and key shifts. Respect, Viking, this was very good, mahalo for bringing this to Season 286!

I actually know quite a few Hawaiian songs by heart. One of 'em I can't sing yet! Still needs some work. Here is an original I wrote way back in the day about a year after I learned to play the uke. Usually "Lamb Chop" sings this one for me :) I also might sing it a bit different and, um, I'm wearing Hawaiian shorts but...guess you can't see that huh? Lol.

bonesigh: Next Time
What a wonderful original, Janet, so good you joined in! Everything works together, a catchy melody over a nice harmony and fine lyrics and an elaborated ending. And you sang it with the right feeling and in good mood. What more can we say? Perhaps a wonderful and worthy last song for Season 286. Mahalo!

Top Bottom