Season Of The Ukulele #286

An original new for this season. I tried to write a hapa haole country song.

It's a long way from Texas to Hawaii
It's a long way from Port Aransas to Waikiki
It's been a while since she told me nāu nō au
Since that island called my sweetheart back from me

She couldn't see the Pakipika from Padre Island
There ain't much nalu in the Gulf of Mexico
I tried to learn her alelo, tried to make her feel at home
Every night I whispered e ku'u ipo

But the gulf coast made her long for her moana
And she said the Texas rain it falls too hard
It ain't nothing like sweet po ua on Oahu
And in Texas, she was a lost and lonely star

She left me nothing but this little ukulele
And the lei she made is now all crushed and dry
My heart's as broken as the flowers in that old haole song
And this happy little uke just makes me cry

No the Gulf could not replace her big moana
And she said the Texas rain falls hard and mean
It ain't nothing like sweet po ua on Oahu
Now she's gone back to the island of her dreams

Coming to this late, but...can we do a song that mentions one of the Hawaiian islands?

Alan, just great Hapa Haole with a Texas flavor. Great chord selection and the soprano was an elegant touch.

I can't wait to join in on the fun, but I started losing my voice. Hopefully I will have something around Friday or so.

I must admit I really don't know many Hawaiian artists. One I do know though is Jack Johnson. This song cane out when I was in high school and boy did the lyrics speak to me.

Hawaii 5-O theme, the main theme is played on baritone uke, with concert flea providing some back up. The rest is garage band, and some lovely old black n white film I found on YT. The bit at the end, the song is the theme from The Flashing Blade, which is a series we used to watch on Saturday mornings in the early 70s. Don't know if you had it in the states or in Oz, but it was pretty popular here for a while. So, here I am, channelling a bit of Dick Dale, with a pinch of Link Wray and a bit of Ska thrown in for good measure :cool:

ALOHA EVERYBOOY!
So, back to normal life after having such wonderful guest here. Just listened to every song so far and this turned out to be so entertaining. You all have become such cool performers! And we’re just at the beginning! This is going to be a fantastic week again, Mahalo to all of you!!

And we already had such a great shirt show going on! Maybe we should start an extra contest for the best shirt?

pabrizzer: Never Been to Hawaii
Yes, that’s what we call a Season kick-off! Brian, this is a great song, really like the lyrics. To us it’s got some caribbean flair with a slightly bluesy twist. Perhaps Hawaiian songs ain’t you but this performance sure is, Thank you!

xommen: Permanent Holiday
That’s a hard one, Wim, but you really did a great job here! Love the video FX and the long delays. Great singing btw. Thank you!

Tootler: Blue Hawaii
Elvis lives! (He’s hiding somewhere in northern England). Loved it. When you do it loses all the „Kitsch“ (don’t know how to translate this Germans word) but gets some real longing feel. Thank you, Geoff, for this great choice and performance!

turtledrum: White Sandy Beach
Whaaat? Goose bumps all over :) What a great performance – singing, picking and this pretty ukulele! This was outstanding, Linda! BTW: Aldrine Guerrero played and sang this one last week at the Prague Ukulele Festival saying that this is his favorite Hawaiian song.

Mahalo to Booli for his kind and warmhearted words. Aloha!

Pueo, sorry that we read this too late to bring your Aloha to Kimo, but he’s already on his way home. So you’ll soon be able to say Aloha to him in person. Aloha, Pueo!

robinboyd: Mahalo! We hope you’ll find the time an we’re looking forward to your song.

hendulele: Holiday in Waikiki
Whoohoo! Best of two worlds, Kinks 60’s beat plus Hawaii, how cool ist that? Rick, thank you for this rare gem, what fun! Mahalo!

lelouden & myrnaukulele: Mahalo for your kind words and the recommendation.

bird’s eye view of my ukulele: Hawaii 78
Yes this is moving and still have bumps! Birdie, what a wonderful choice. Thank you so much for bringing your talents to the Seasons once again! Just want to cite what you wrote above: „(…) maybe it was the chord progressions and the way he sang it, that moved me so, but in truth, as you say, the song can surely speak to us all, wherever we are (…). Mahalo!

York Steve: Happy Hawaii
ABBA? Really??? This is brilliant, still have a big smile in my face! A really surprising song choice – and a really convincing performance again! Steve, your singing and playing was just great. Mahalo or as ABBA would say: Tack!

guzzler: Honolulu Baby
Laurel & Hardy were so unbelievably great, this song just had to be in here! We’re glad you did it, because you did it so well all way through (even with the Bowler hat)! That was 1st class!

Recovering Bassist: I Like Mountain Music
Yeehaw! Although we expected for this Season to hear songs praising Hawaii with the beauty of the land and the warm hearted people from the islands, this is a great song choice. As you might know we love Western Swing and old Country Music and Hillbilly stuff. So bringing in some Roy Acuff was a clever idea and you performed it with verve! Well done!

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters: Hawaiian War Chant
Aloha, Ralf! Great playing on this classic. Because there are such great vocal rendition of this song (e.g. Ella Fitzgerald’s) we never expected a instrumental version. This was great! The knocking, chord melodies, key shifts – again such a fine and skilled performance and a wonderful smile at the end :)

AlanDP: From Texas To Hawai’i
Aloha, Alan! Wow, now we’re impressed! This is not only a beautiful and well performed song but you also caught the spirit and sound of these songs so perfectly. It’s got it all and in my head I here some steel guitars weeping to this pretty original! Big Mahalos from the Ukelites!

RAB11: Sitting Waiting Wishing
We didn’t think of JJ – but you’re absolutely right: He definitely belongs in here and this is one of his best songs. And you did it so well, Ryan! Thank you for being in our Season!

One Man And His Uke: Hawaii 5-0 theme
We love 60s Surf sound and of course this famous instrumental! Very cool production. With all these delays the uke almost sounds like a guitar! And the offbeat rhythm uke really adds some nice ska feel! Cheers, John, and Mahalo for bringing this into our Season!

That was ist so far. Looking forward to the next entries! Aloha!

Has anyone here heard of Junior Brown? Would anyone here consider playing Hillbilly Hula Gal? Its a very fun song and might prove an interesting challenge.

Here is our video for this week. Because Kimo Hussey is a Hawaiian musician, we were free to play any song. It spontaneously became "The Girl From Ipanema", played in our backyard during a long breakfast the day after the concert. He grabbed my 5-string Kala, Miri did the singing, I did the recording. :)

Here is our video for this week. Because Kimo Hussey is a Hawaiian musician, we were free to play any song. It spontaneously became "The Girl From Ipanema", played in our backyard during a long breakfast the day after the concert. He grabbed my 5-string Kala, Miri did the singing, I did the recording. :)

Yay! I really enjoyed this! Lovely!

Has anyone here heard of Junior Brown? Would anyone here consider playing Hillbilly Hula Gal? Its a very fun song and might prove an interesting challenge.

Heard of Junior Brown of course, never have heard this song before, just listened now, it's cool. BTW, does anyone know, are we supposed to post any bonus tracks here or somewhere else once our one entry is in?

I dont really know any Hawaiian songs but found this on youtube ana had a go

Heard of Junior Brown of course, never have heard this song before, just listened now, it's cool. BTW, does anyone know, are we supposed to post any bonus tracks here or somewhere else once our one entry is in?

just post it here, i'll make a bonus playlist!

Alfred Apaka was an amazing Hawaiian vocalist who recorded the definitive version of this song. It's a fun one, I think!

Hawaii 5-O theme, the main theme is played on baritone uke, with concert flea providing some back up. The rest is garage band, and some lovely old black n white film I found on YT. The bit at the end, the song is the theme from The Flashing Blade, which is a series we used to watch on Saturday mornings in the early 70s. Don't know if you had it in the states or in Oz, but it was pretty popular here for a while. So, here I am, channelling a bit of Dick Dale, with a pinch of Link Wray and a bit of Ska thrown in for good measure :cool:
https://youtu.be/3S93cBNMjx8

Serendipitous that you should include footage of dogs surfing, when this BBC news report on the World Dog Surfing Championships has just gone viral:

:smileybounce:

Hawaii is the perfect place for a summer holiday. The grandkids arrived and
they are grand kids even if they abscond with your phone. Not very Hawaiian
but this video has some aloha to it, and that is about as good as it can get
for this week. At least I wore that atrocious Pierre Cardin shirt that could be
mistaken as a Hawaiian shirt. Enjoy your families.

Here's a bonus track for this Season. Jimmy C. Newman is one of my all time favorite singers, can't ever get enough of him. Like many country singers in the 1950's, he was forced to try his hand at rockabilly with the advent of rock-n-roll, which was something he did not enjoy doing. This kinda funny novelty song came from that period.

Last edited:
Serendipitous that you should include footage of dogs surfing, when this BBC news report on the World Dog Surfing Championships has just gone viral:

:smileybounce:

Indeed! And he seemed just as enthusiastic about the weather! :) (Loved seeing the pooches, Paul. :) )

Top Bottom