Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Season Of The Ukulele #286

Guess it's time for me to get my head out of the Virginia heat and smell the plumerias. I can't miss a week that honors one of my favorite places in the world #==() l)

It was either this, or "Ukuleles aren't allowed in bluegrass" since I recently did "Hula hula boys." If I had the talent to play a slack-key guitar, this would have been a perfect add for one of my favorite obscure early Kinks songs. Instead, here you go. Thanks for hosting, Miri and Steffen!

KoAlana KCA- 0010 mahogany concert <VBG> Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top, willow back/sides) Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany gloss finish soprano Fluke natural concert <BG> Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> Koa soprano Flea Islander MAT-4 spalted maple tenor Makala MK-CE concert Lanakai LU-21 baritone

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by lelouden View Post
    Aloha!

Oh Yes! I like this theme. It would be a great time for some us to step out of the box and check out Kimo's channel and try and learn something new. I think he is a fantastic teacher. https://www.youtube.com/user/KimoHusseyUkulele

Thanks for hosting Miri and Stephen. We don't get to see you often enough. This is also a great time for the newer seasonistas that are unfamiliar with your channel to check it out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClU...kbhhm-R_qdtFEw
    I was just thinking the same thing Linda. Thanks for the links.

a song off the truly wonderful israel kamakawiwoʻole album, "facing future"

"hawaii 78"

Aloha!

As we have guests from Hawaii, California and Taiwan till tomorrow (very nice ukulele people!), we will watch and comment tomorrow evening.
    Playlist is on now! Mahalo for the first videos!

I'll be honest, Hawaiian music is an area I have rarely ventured in to, so this week will be an education. In the meantime, I do know a bit about Abba...If anyone has the original "Arrival" album, this one might sound a bit familiar. They recorded it, but then recycled the backing track and used it for a new song "Why Did It Have To be Me", which went on the album. "Happy Hawaii" turned up later as a B-side and on expanded editions of the Arrival CD.

www.365ukesongs.co.uk - 365 songs in 365 days, raising funds for SolarAid

Soprano - KoAloha KSM-00, Maccaferri Islander....Concert - Barron River Mahogany, Barron River Cypress, MyaMoe Koa, Johnny Marvin "Tenor" ....Sopranino - Rob Collins Cigar Box...all with Worth strings...and a few chords

I'm another with no Hawaiian music in my repertoire, but I do have an Hawaiian shirt, so that's something. This is a cover of Honolulu Baby, a song written for the 1933 Laurel and Hardy film Sons of The Desert. If you haven't seen Olly playing and singing this whilst Stan dances you have missed a treat

I'm yet another who doesn't do Hawaiian music, nor do I own a Hawaiian shirt. I had this song by Roy Acuff on a cassette tape many years ago, and it amused and entertained me back then, so it popped in my head when this Season came around. Looking it up now though, this song was a lot more popular than I thought. Turns out it was recorded by several swing/big bands from the 1930's thru the 50's, and there's a 1933 Merrie Melodies cartoon of this song title, that uses the song in it. I had fun finally getting a chance to try this song, but it was a challenge to try and pull off.

Last edited by Recovering Bassist; 08-07-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Aloha, Seasonistas!

This melody dates all the way back to the 1860s (more history here), I first heard it performed by an anonymous Japanese ukulele player, and I cribbed this arrangement from a performance on the Lawrence Welk Show.

Mahalo, Ukelites!
    -Ralf Youtz

My videos are here.

The future is unwritten.

Literally a paoriginoodle (which means made up in 5 minutes) I call
    My Ukulele's Been to Hawaii ( and Munich).

because it has ....

Thread Information