Professional Quality Mahogany Tenor with 1.5 nut?

SoCal

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a new Mahogany Tenor with a 1.5 nut. I'd like to spend less than $750 if possible and would prefer a new uke so I don't have to deal with repairs, set up, etc.

I'm considering Cordoba 30t, Kala Elite Doghair, Moku Choice -- and would be open to suggestions, comparisons, etc.

None of these ukes are in the stores available to play near where I live, so your suggestions and online videos are what are available tome.

I play Low G. The biggest selling points for me will be sound quality and intonation.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

You hit the nail on the head. For a non-custom mahogany tenor WITH a 1-1/2" nut width this is it. That sound sample says it all, beautiful over tones, nuances, resonance and clarity to the sound of that instrument. We have a uke jam member who has a Kala Elite koa tenor and I was very impressed with it.

If I were you and I wanted to buy a mahongany tenor and it had to have a 1-1/2" nut width I would snatch this up immediately. It is the only one I have seen, although I am sure they will make more but how long are you willing to wait.

I was lucky to spend some time with Kimo Hussey recently when he came through town for a seminar. He had a Kala Elite tenor he was traveling with, and was very gracious in letting me play it. The first thing I noticed was how light it was, and how easy it was to play. I tend to prefer wider nut width as well. I didn't ask him about cost, but I would have guessed it was at least a $1000.00 instrument considering it is hand made in the U.S. If you want to buy new, this is a great option.

Thanks for all for the replies. I PM'd Covered Bridge, who was amazingly responsive. Beautiful looking uses.

Before I make final decisions, does anyone have thoughts on the Córdoba 30t or the Romero Grand Tenor, both of which are also in my price range?

Also, with the Kala Elite, what is the incentive to buy from a store v. Buying direct from Kala's website? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Also, with the Kala Elite, what is the incentive to buy from a store v. Buying direct from Kala's website? Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Get it from HMS, they will make sure it's setup properly. It probably will be setup from the factory, but with standard factory setup. HMS will make sure it's perfect, you save a little too. And you'll have the extra support from HMS.

Like Danno, I'd suggest buying it from HMS. This is like a double warranty. I think the Kala Elite will be a nice instrument. Other than that, I was going to suggest you have a look at the Romero Creations Grand Tenor, as it is all solid mahogany with a wider nut and a very nice finish.

...does anyone have thoughts on the Córdoba 30t or the Romero Grand Tenor, both of which are also in my price range?

Thanks in advance.

I have the Cordoba 32T (30 series in Spruce/Rosewood) and I think it is a fine instrument with features that are different from most manufactured tenors. Most notable is the neck with 12 frets to the body, 1.5" nut width, and (what I consider to be) a very thin profile from front to back. I suspect that the Mahogany version would play similarly but may be slightly mellower in tone. The Spruce top is very lively producing load sounds and bell-like clarity. The Cordoba's light build, Spanish heel, fan bracing, may result in a slightly more fragile instrument, but with exceptional tone. I've played a Kala Elite in koa that I really liked but not enough to purchase. I guess, the bottom line for me is more about playability. I find my Pono Tenor more enjoyable to play because of the thicker neck and fuller sound. However, when I pick up the Cordoba I'm always impressed by the clarity and beauty of the notes. It makes me want to be a better player.

Thanks, Kane Pono. This is just the explanation I was looking for on the Cordoba.

I'm starting to lean toward Romero Grand Tenor mentioned by Rakelele. The video clip with Daniel Ho playing on HMS's site sounds incredible. I'll make a final decision this weekend.

So I went to U Space in Los Angeles yesterday and spent a great deal of time trying different ukes. I ended up getting the Pepe Romero Grand Tenor (Mahogany), and Jason was kind enough to spend a lot of time doing a nice set up for me. I'm very happy. Thanks everyone for your help.

Awesome, It's a beautiful uke. I saw one at U-Space. Jason Arimoto is a great guy. The mahogany Grand Tenor is incredible, isn't it? I went with the all mahogany Tiny Tenor.

If I had your budget I'd consider an unblinged Mya-Moe. They sound and play as fabulously as the more expensive model. If you're looking for a "professional quality " instrument, focus on tone and playability IMO.

I ended up getting the Pepe Romero Grand Tenor (Mahogany), and Jason was kind enough to spend a lot of time doing a nice set up for me. I'm very happy. Thanks everyone for your help.

Congrats on the new uke. The descrition doesn't list finish but the one Daniel Ho is playing has a nice shine to it and sounds very rich and full. Great choice.

So far, I'm loving the uke. It definitely has a classical guitar sort of sound, and deznuchs, you're right. It is shiny. The neck is very comfortable. And the instrument as a whole is very nicely balanced weight-wise and sonically. With Jason's set up, intonation is very nice. Hollisdwyer, I agree with your suggestion on a Mya Moe. For a while now, I'm on the list and will have one (a resonator) in 2018. At that point, I'll have three ukes: the Beltona, the Romero Grand Tenor and the Mya Moe. This UAS does not seem to subside. ��

Top Bottom