New to music, purchased concert Uke strung w/Low G-- please help with tuning

happlife1

Reaction score
Hi everyone, please forgive me for sounding completely clueless. I read many tuning questions but still cannot determine my issue (brand new to music). I purchased a Pono Concert (MCD) strung with Ko'olau Alohi Low Gs. I took one lesson prior to getting the Uke in the mail and he showed me how to tune his instrument. However, I cannot get the tuned to G C E A. In fact, I can't get any of the strings tuned this way. I should have taken a baseline when I took it out of the box because it sounded beautiful... now it sounds like a dying dog. I thought it may have been the Oahu tuner so I swapped it for a Snark. Same issue. The problem is me. Can someone with these strings help a newbie--my music teacher is out of town for several weeks. Thank you for your help.

Only string that's different is the 4th string, tuned 1 octave lower than reentrant G. Strings 1, 2, 3 the same as any other normally tuned uke.

Lot's of Low G ukulele tuning videos on YouTube.

Hey folks, isn't low g on a concert ukulele unusual? I thought it was most prevalent on tenors.

Lot's of Low G ukulele tuning videos on YouTube.

Hey folks, isn't low g on a concert ukulele unusual? I thought it was most prevalent on tenors.

Less common than tenor, but not unheard of.

I have no idea what the issue with tuning is. For example, the tuner might be on the wrong setting, but we can't know unless we see. Your best bet would be to have someone have a look at what you are doing, either in person or via Skype. You could always put a video on Youtube and post a link here if you wanted. Then one of us might be able to help you better.

download a good smartphone app for tuning. I have two. Both give you the option of tuning low g and high g. One is called Smart Chord & Tools and the other is Strings Tuner Guitar Ukulele

Good to have anyway.

Suggest a visit to a Youtube video about tuning your strings, then you can tune them up to the sound in the video, then check them against your tuner.

Re Low G - it works on a soprano as well, just depends on what sound you like. ;)

Welcome to UU happlife1
A new uke will have new strings, and the strings will stretch for several days until they settle in. One of the problems with tuning, is training the ear to recognize when one note is higher than another (especially when they are close in pitch), so an electronic tuner is your friend. Read the directions on your tuner. Note that when your current pitch is below your goal, the meter is on the left of center. When you are above your goal, the meter is lit up on the right. Look carefully at which direction you need to turn your tuners to raise and lower the pitch. Take your time. If your tuner has a chromatic setting, it can give you a good idea how far away from your goal you are. Just pay attention to the name of the note as it moves from F to F#/Gb to G.
Hope that helps.
–Lori

Perhaps you're an octave too low or too high? Compare your pitch to any ukulele video: is yours much higher or lower? Also, for linear tuning, make sure the strings are in the correct order. The A string has to be the thinnest string, followed by the second thinnest string for E, etc.

I have no idea what the issue with tuning is.

Same here. I don't understand the problem as described by the OP.

Could it be the tuner directions giving him or her trouble? That is, G and C tuning pegs turn up to go sharp (tight), down to go flat (loose), and the E and A tuning pegs turn down to go sharp (tight) and up to go flat(loose). Remembering which way to turn them gave me trouble when I first started out. Still does occasionally. :p

Although I am using a slightly different username, I am the original poster. I am so sorry for not responding earlier. I tried logging-in multiple times and kept getting locked out-- only today I thought, "why not make a new username" to respond. Thank you all for your replies and it was my cluelessness on which direction to turn the pegs. Yes, I ordered the Low Gs on the Concert-- I love the tone and now I'm kicking myself for not getting the tenor just for extra room on the frets. For any beginner wondering about the Ponos, I feel like the extra $$ I spent was worth it. I went with the suggestions of the other ladies on the site and paid for strap buttons... NO REGRETS! Thank you all for your responses and I again apologize for my delay.

Although I am using a slightly different username, I am the original poster. I am so sorry for not responding earlier. I tried logging-in multiple times and kept getting locked out-- only today I thought, "why not make a new username" to respond. Thank you all for your replies and it was my cluelessness on which direction to turn the pegs. Yes, I ordered the Low Gs on the Concert-- I love the tone and now I'm kicking myself for not getting the tenor just for extra room on the frets. For any beginner wondering about the Ponos, I feel like the extra $$ I spent was worth it. I went with the suggestions of the other ladies on the site and paid for strap buttons... NO REGRETS! Thank you all for your responses and I again apologize for my delay.

Don't kick yourself too hard about the concert. I have size L men's hands and while I play tenor, my last 3 ukuleles have been concerts. I find that many chords 3535, for example, are easier to reach on a concert than a tenor. I think some of the people that play Baritone and Tenor exclusively are related to Stretch Armstrong. :)

Top Bottom