Beginners should try playing in different rooms of their house

cyber3d

Reaction score
It was posted in another sub forum here. But, worth reposting here.

"Which is your favorite place in your house to play the ukulele"

Wow, last night I went through all the rooms in our house playing the ukulele and what a revelation! Everyone should do that. From showers, to a very large reflective living room, from my office to a well dampened
library, amazing. Even played out on the backyard porch. Very interesting.

I didn't think much about this even though I have a small recording studio in my house (not for music but for online computer related training). It was very interesting indeed. Try to play in a closet too. Large bathrooms or in front of large mirrors, It was a lot of fun actually.

Note that not only will your ukulele sound different to your ear while playing, but the sound projected from the ukulele will sound different as well. It has to do with resonating frequencies emanating from the uke and bouncing around the surfaces of the room.

I love to play in our bathroom because it's tiled all over, it has crazy acoustics!

I have been in a ukulele group since February. I have been having fun rotating different ukuleles at our Tuesday practices.

I was amazed at how dead and dull some of my ukes sounded in the meeting room of carpet and acoustic tile ceiling. They sound fine to me in my bedroom, travel trailer, or outdoors.

Last edited:
My wife thinks this is very good advice.:)

Beginners should also try a new string. This morning I changed my G-string which is Aquila to a Harley-Benton nylon string. It was nylon and a black one. I could hardly see the string, plus it sounded more silent. So I quickly did put the Aquila string back on. Glad I had not cut it to take out faster :)

These nylgut strings seem good, maybe I should buy them for my classical guitar too. Well the C-string sounds not so good, but could be my uke too. It is maybe too thick or what that string? The intonation is fine up to 12 fret, except the C-string which is odd to me as it gets sharp at high frets when the others don't.

Top Bottom