50's gold label Kamaka soprano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I'm gonna let this one go to a new home, since I rarely play it, and now prefer the mahogany sound. This uke was bought by a relative traveling to HI back in the late 50s. She rarely if ever played it, and I believe she stowed it away in the closet for over 50 years. All solid koa, with original friction tuners. It is obviously hand made, as seen by the hand carved neck and tooling marks on the point at the end of the fingerboard. Speaking of that point, it seems rather unusual, as most others have a flat or diagonal end of the fretboard.

This one needed a bit of work when I got it: a long top crack was repaired, as well as another smaller one below the bridge, and a tiny crack between the soundhole and the fingerboard. No cracks on back or sides. Also, the bridge was re-glued. Fortunately, that long crack ran with a dark grain line, so it's not too visible. Finally, the frets have sprouted a bit on the edges, but that's easily fixed with a bit of light filing. The neck is a very thin 12mm, nut width is 35mm, string spread at nut is 28mm, string spread at the bridge is a whopping 45mm. Nice thin top at only 2mm. Currently strung with newer Martin M600's.

All in all, a cool Hawaiian all-solid vintage uke, with a loud, bright & rich koa tone. Ships in a newer HSC and includes the original brown canvas bag. $399.00 shipped in CONUS. I prefer a USPS postal money order, as I don't use Paypal anymore for selling.

Front.jpgBack.jpg20170315_133639-1a.jpgAvatar1.jpg20170227_230733.jpg

Last edited:
Hi John,

Our UPS Money Order is there at the Post Office for the Pono AT we purchased from you. "Unable to deliver" MO today - assume you were at work. If this Kamaka doesn't sell, my wife may be interested after the Pono arrives. Love the Kamaka story and history.

BTW - was the Kamaka crack repair cleated or just glued?

Eagerly awaiting our new baby.

:)
Mark and Dee Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom