Fighting Bridge Rotation: The Battle of the Bulge

sequoia

Reaction score
I really like fan bracing and I think it makes great sounding ukes, but it has one big drawback: The central fan brace tends to push up on the top with torque in an opposite direction to the rotation to the bridge. Newton's law applies: To each force there is an opposite and equal force in the opposite direction. This can cause a small bulge to appear in a very vulnerable part of the top by the heal block. Also as the bridge rotates it reduces scale length and decrease scale length compensation which can cause notes to sharpen. Neither of these two things is good.

Thus I have come up with the patented "Sequoia Bracing System" (SBS sys). If you use this system you have to send me a dollar for every uke you build or men in dark suits and sunglasses will come to your house and rough you up as well as repossess all your ukuleles.

Here is how it works: Put a patch under the south end of the central fan brace with a mortise joint. Note that this will take you hours of work. To avoid tedious frustration. we can send you a pre-milled SBS sys. Now offering free shipping to the Ukraine!

DSCN7851-001.jpg

DSCN7852-002.jpg

DSCN7856-002.jpg

I need something like this for my pants. Mind you it is the south that is bulging but more north.

You are kidding right?

Sorry Pete. Due to new EU regulations concerning Brexit and the newest Executive Orders from President Trump banning exportation of all lutherie items ("Make America sound good again!", we can no longer ship the SBS sys to Great Britain.

Top Bottom