Which Guitarlele should I buy, asking for advice please!

Micha

Reaction score
Hi,

I would like to get a Guitarlele and also learn to play.

Thought about maybe getting a Gertsch or a Kala, I would like warm sound and good craftmanship.

An Instrument for a beginner, and I would like to have years of fun with it.

Can somebody please suggest me a specific model or brand?

Thanks for your answers!

Micha

There is a lot of variance between the brands, no constant on size, etc, so I would suggest taking a look on Youtube to see & hear what each sounds like.

Cordoba Mini, will be easier to play due to wider nut yeilding wider string spacing most similar to uke spacing...

Also, with a baritone scale length there are more string options that SHORTER guitarleles, and in general the longer scale will INTONATE better because the longer neck has the ability to give better string tension.

I have the Cordoba Mini SM-CE, spalted maple back and sides, with cedar top and i LOVE IT and compared to my Yama-haha GL-1, which is only tenor scale, the Yama-haha is a joke and a toy, whereas the Mini is like a 'real' guitar, easy to play, sounds great and feels nice to hold...

Last I looked, the Cordoba Mini-M, was like $200-229 USD.

Check out the cordoba mini (I have the r). It's not perfect, but was quite a bit better than the other low end guitaleles that i have tried (gretsch, yahama, islander). HMS has videos online but try it first if you can. The nut is almost the size of a classical and i find it quite playable.

Also, quality control is really important on these lower end instruments. Whatever you get, either try it first or order from somewhere reputable like HMS.

Adam

I got the Kala and the Cordoba Mini. Sold the Kala, LOVE the Cordoba. The Kala was too cramped for me and didn't have much in the way of low end response. The Cordoba is really nicely built, light and responsive, and has plenty of room for playing.

I will throw my vote in for the Cordoba Mini as well. I originally purchased the Cordoba Guilele CE, and the short scale made for very cramped fingerings. Ended up selling the Guilele and went with the Mini, which in my opinion feels much better. In that price range, at least, I think the Mini is the winner.

Hello, thanks to you all for the suggestions. I'm glad for your experience. So I will thnk about getting a Cordoba... maybe an O, I would like a warm tone. does anybody know that one?

Hello, thanks to you all for the suggestions. I'm glad for your experience. So I will thnk about getting a Cordoba... maybe an O, I would like a warm tone. does anybody know that one?
Strings are equally as important as tonewood in effecting tone, and despite the tonewood, strings can act as a sort of audio equalizer to enhance or mitigate either a brighter or warmer tone, as well as affect sustain and intonation.

You might find the info and links in my signature down below helpful in determining how to achieve the tone that YOU prefer, since tone is highly subjective, and also relative to many factors on an instrument, even of the same model, same wood, from the same maker, since WOOD itself is organic and NOT homogeneous or exact from tree-to-tree, nor even cuts of wood from the same tree...

Therefore if you are seeking something specific, that advice to 'try before you buy' is something to keep in mind, since YouTube videos are a mere representation and will not be the SAME as the sound, in open air, with your own ear drums.

ok, thanks, good to know! The shop nearby doesn't have a big choice of Ukeleles, thats why I am glad for your advice.

Cordoba solid topped........awesome for it's price range.

Hello.
Please help me too. I wanted buy my first ukulele concert but now i want buy guitalele.
What you can suggest up to 120$ ?

I have the mini-Cordoba, the Kala, and the Yamaha. I have the Cordoba in E tuning, just to have a small guitar around. The Kala and the Yamaha are very nice and solidly built, but I am looking for a higher level instrument. They both still sound a little rubber-bandy- not in an irritating way, but enough to wonder if there's anything better. The Lichty Kiku looks and sounds gorgeous on line and I know the work is fabulous, but I really want to see one up close and personal and see if it's meant for my style and fingers before I spend that much money. Am just a few states away from the luthier's shop, so hope to go up there and see what we could work out - since he does custom work. In the meantime, I'd like to sell the Kala and the Yamaha for an instrument just a few notches higher in quality - that would be my travelling instrument and then, once I can afford to order the Lichty, use it for performance and locally. I can't find anything, though, that's between the Kala/Cordoba/Yamaha six strings and this very expensive, but lovely Kiku instrument. Any suggestions?

Also - with the Kala and Yamaha - I don't get much delay in the strings - the sound tends to stop. I know that I can improve technically, but wondered if it's also the instrument or possibly the strings. Thoughts?

I have a Cordoba, a Kala and a Yamaha. I bought my Yamaha for $99.00 and to me, sounds as good as the other two. I'm selling it, so let me know if you'd like this one. We could share shipping costs.

Yamaha is very good for starters - and the price is right.

Hello.
Please help me too. I wanted buy my first ukulele concert but now i want buy guitalele.
What you can suggest up to 120$ ?

I have a Cordoba, a Kala and a Yamaha. I bought my Yamaha for $99.00 and to me, sounds as good as the other two. I'm selling it, so let me know if you'd like this one. We could share shipping costs.

Another one for the cordoba mini. Great little guitar even though I really can't play it. My oldest daughter has some.

Thank you. Bought Mini M in Like new condition for $160.
Was hurried - later i could have a chance take a Mini R for additional $11 but i will stay with bright color for a while.
Also spent few dollars more for musicnomad accessories + newest snark tuner.
Hope i will be glad to use it all as it my first guitar ever.

Last edited:
Thank you. Bought Mini M in Like new condition for $160.
Was hurried - later i could have a chance take a Mini R for additional $11 but i will stay with bright color for a while.
Also spent few dollars more for musicnomad accessories + newest snark tuner.
Hope i will be glad to use it all as it my first guitar ever.

Good for you! I chose the Cordoba Mini M over the other models because I love the warm tones of the mahogany. If I was playing in loud places I might want the punch of the rosewood in the R model, but I love everything about my purchase. The neck is strong and straight, the tone is absolutely magical, and the size allows it to fit in my baritone ukulele cases. All Strings Nylon did an amazing setup on it, and I'll never buy a Cordoba anywhere else.

Just as a nod to the OP, the non-electric version of my Mini-M does clock in at just under $200. ;-)
https://allstringsnylon.com/cordoba-mini-m-travel-guitar-spruce-mahogany

Top Bottom