Define "Bark"

A sort of percussive "hit" when you dig in that rattles the ear wax.
A sound that has a sharp attack; may have a sweet sustain, but strong initial impact...?

I'd ask BazMaz, since he's had hands-on and reviewed more ukes than almost anyone else here on UU...

Actually the word contains all the clues: think of a dog bark - all initial impact, grabs attention...
Also the word "bark" is a bit onomatopoeic.
All up a perfect description.

Interested, following.
I also became curious about the word "attack" when someone used it yesterday or so as an adjective to describe the sound quality of particular uke sizes rather than the style of playing it...

Define the colours red or blue. Define the sound of an A note. "Bark" is a sound, 1000 words wont describe it all. You have to learn what it is by listening to it. Whether it is made by a dog or a ukulele.

Yep. Play a Kala spruce top. Then you'll know. That did the trick for me.

Most of my small collection have the ability to be
played softly, as quietly as you can strum/pick them;
but ALL of my instruments,have the ability to 'Bark'
when strummed/picked with the right amount of attack
from my strumming hand. It's something you will pick up
if you work at it and get the full pleasure from your uke!

I'd have been hard pressed to know what bark is based on my uke collection, until I got my KPK acacia concert and most especially my Kamaka white label soprano.

A good soprano will bark when you attack the strings sharply. The sound is crisp, percussive and decays quickly. Concerts and larger bodies tend to produce a more rounded and mellow sound. If you watch and listen to Roy Smeck and guys like him, you will hear their uke bark.

Last edited:
according to the Oxford dictionary:
the sharp explosive cry of a dog, fox, or seal.
if, still unsure,
play Phil's Kamaka white label soprano.

Bark: the outer protective coating of trees and some shrubs.

Is it an actual tone...or a characteristic...like the sound doesn't fall apart when you dig in and play hard? Any video examples?

It can be difficult to describe, might differ from person to person. So far I havn´t found it in an ukulele, well maybe a banjolele might come closer to it.
Maybe a rock´n toll tenor or baritone saxophone in full growl might do the trick of bark.
Unless, you of course simply mean the core in the attack of a fine Wood instrument. Then it might even be found in a violin.
Or here, (not the howling in the introd. for Christ´s sake!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1PNvopXjbg

When she starts strumming the martin around 1:25 it starts really barking.

My bite is worse than my bark.

Top Bottom