Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music Files

Quote Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
    OK, I uploaded my song (La Vie En Rose) into Google Drive. Hope it works. I'm not too savvy with technology. Let me know if this link works:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4E...ew?usp=sharing
    Sounds great Luke!

However, if I may offer some advice - if you move the mic a little bit farther away, the recording will sound less boomy and have a more flat, even frequency response.

It sounds like either the mic is about 6-8" away from the sound hole (or the gain on the mic is higher than it needs to be), and if you move it 12-18" away and have it inline with the 12th fret, you will get a more balanced tone...and more similar to what your ear drums hear...

This is a common issue, but knowing about good and proper mic placement techniques can yield better recordings without requiring fussing with things like EQ and compression in your recording program after the fact...

Keep going brother! MOAR! Like everything else, it will sound better and improve in use with more practice...

-

Incidentally, SoundCloud may not be going down the tubes just yet, read here:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/11/soundcloud-saved/

and discussion here (205 comments):

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=14990911

However, I'd still want to be aware of alternatives and have a backup path ready for anything important.
    Just the FAQs __________less is more

Thanks uke1950 and Booli for your kind words.

Booli: you are correct again. I was within a foot from the mic, and the gain was at the 12 o'clock position. I will try backing off the next time.

Thanks uke1950 and Booli for your kind words.

Booli: you are correct again. I was within a foot from the mic, and the gain was at the 12 o'clock position. I will try backing off the next time.
    Sounds like a plan.

What recording program are you using?

Most programs also have an INPUT GAIN, and when you get the mic in the right place, your gain settings should be that your volume peaks are less than 0 db (zero decibels) as anything higher than that is going to give distortion or clipping, and common wisdom is to have the loudest playing, i.e. very hard strumming to peak at about -3db, which gives you a bit of headroom, so that you do not clip or distort.

Even in the free program Audacity, there is a function called NORMALIZE under the effects section, and if your recording sounds too low in volume, you can NORMALIZE to 0db, and it will raise the overall level, without creating distortion. Using compression is a slippery slope, and generally I recommend against it unless it is for percussion (conga, cajon, timbales or full drum set) or high-energy vocals, OR if the singer has bad 'mic technique'...and even so, a little compression goes a long way (2:1 ratio=good, 8:1 ratio=bad, except in rare exceptions), otherwise you lose the dynamic range and musicality of the recording.

Great advice. I am using GarageBand, which has the normalize button.

Great advice. I am using GarageBand, which has the normalize button.
    GarageBand is a good program and I've been using it since it was first released.

I use that for multi-tracking, but for single-track recordings or to fix audio for a video, I find Audacity to work well too, However, most audio programs nowadays have things like compression, eq, reverb, and normalization at a minimum, so it is easy to use them in another program once you understand how it works.

The normalization in GarageBand really has no settings, and is just a checkbox for when you export, to enable or disable it...but with Audacity, or if you use it as a channel effect in other programs, you have more control, but for most folks, that auto-function for exporting in GB works fine.

You can also get a free Dropbox account and provide a public link to your own specific videos or mp3s.

Only caveat is that they can then be easily download it unlike SoundCloud or YouTube
    YouTube channel
    Personal blog

Instead of anticipating the goal, learn to enjoy the Journey for this is where we spend 99.9% of our time.
    The Journey is the reward...

Thread Information