Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you pronounce "ukulele"?

And I would wish for you to do the same. I just thought the video was funny and that others might see the humor in it.
    Last edited by mikelz777; 08-11-2017 at 12:46 PM.
    Lanikai LU-21C concert - nato laminate (my starter uke!)
    Ohana CK-42R concert - solid sinker redwood top, solid rosewood back and sides, maple binding
    Kala KA-FMCG concert- solid spruce top, laminate spalted flame maple back and sides, mahogany binding

Money can't buy happiness but it can buy a ukulele which is basically the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by janeray1940 View Post
    So I guess as usual, I'm full of contradictions.
    Me too. I think the number of Hawaiian speakers in my circle of jam buddies is what tipped me toward "ook." Plus I like how it makes me sound excited, as in, "oooooooooohhhhhh-kulele!!

Quote Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
    This pronunciation thing reminds me of a joke. What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle? Answer: a violin has strings, while a fiddle has "straanngs" (pronounced with a Southern accent).
    And I'm having flashbacks to all the discussions on Mandolin Cafe about whether it's "MAN do lin" or "man do LIN"; or just "man-lin".

Oh, and I say "you kuh lay lee", because I didn't know there was any other way to pronounce it until about 3 or 4 months ago...

bratsche
    A bunch of stringed instruments tuned in fifths. And a bunch of cats!

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!

Quote Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
    This pronunciation thing reminds me of a joke. What's the difference between a violin and a fiddle? Answer: a violin has strings, while a fiddle has "straanngs" (pronounced with a Southern accent).
    I love it!
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

post deleted
    Last edited by Booli; 08-12-2017 at 12:12 PM.

I used to say you-koo-lay-lee, but after I started playing, I forced myself self to say it the Hawaiian way. Now I've turned into "that" guy that will tell everyone they're saying it wrong (in a nice way) lol
    Kanile'a KSTP Natural Koa Tenor (High G)
    Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle Tenor (Low G)
    Martin 0XB Soprano (Everyday Carry)

I use all pronunciations at will, randomly, depending on absolutely nothing in particular.

What’s life without whimsy?

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

Quote Originally Posted by ScooterD35 View Post
    I use all pronunciations at will, randomly, depending on absolutely nothing in particular.

What’s life without whimsy?

Scooter
    I wish I could be more like you, more shaka...and just be content within my own mind that the facts are the facts, and properly pay homage to the Hawaiian language, but I am already almost a pariah, so I'm trying to minimize that from getting any worse.

I have worked as a lexicographer--you know, the guy who makes the dictionary to tell you how to pronounce words. We don't pass judgments. We don't evaluate who has the right to dictate the ukulele's pronunciation. Was it the Portuguese who brought the ukulele to the islands? Is it the islanders? Is it the haole that creates the market for the instrument? No; for us it is purely a democratic process. What does the majority of people say? That's the standard usage and that's what I use. I say ukulele with a "y", I always say it, and I will always say it until such a time as more people say it with an initial "u"

Well now, that should be the definitive.
    Long Neck = Kala KA-SLNG - Ohana SK30M - Ohana SK30L - Ohana CK35L
    Electric = Mahalo 'Surfboard' concert - RISA Solid/Stick concert - RISA Uke Ellie tenor - RISA Solid/Stick tenor
    Concert = Baton Rouge Hotrod - Baton Rouge Sun thinline cutaway - Kala KA-CEME - Kala KA-ASAC
    Tenor = Kala KA-T (fitted with classical guitar strings DGBE)
    Baritone = Lani solid Spruce top - Kala solid Cedar top

Thread Information