Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! My uke crack on both side of the bridge

Default Help! My uke crack on both side of the bridge

Hi I am Nik! When I get this uke I found a guitar builder to install active pickup. I had play uke almost 2 year. Because of my work I can't play my uke and than put inside the case around 2 year, last night I take it out I found my uke crack on both side of the bridge. Any way I can fix or prevent the crack side extent? Many thanks!
    It is really hurt 😭 I save lot of money to buy this uke!
    IMG_5014.jpgIMG_5016.jpgIMG_5017.jpg

The very FIRST thing I would do is to slack the strings so there is no tension on the bridge, or remove them completely if you have not done so already. Leaving it tuned up is going to add to the problem.

The next thing I'd do is contact either the builder/luthier or the place of purchase and send photos, and inquire about repairs.

Unless you have the tools, the knowledge and the skills, this is not really a repair that an average person can fix. Simply filling in the cracks with glue from the top is only going to make it look bad, and have little effect on the crack itself since the uke has a glossy finish. Typically a luthier will cleat the cracks from the inside.

I have no idea what that would cost, but I empathize with you, and hope you can get it repaired so you can play it again.
    Just the FAQs
    ...la gran tortuga, ve todo, dice nada...

Quote Originally Posted by sekato_2 View Post
    Hi I am Nik! When I get this uke I found a guitar builder to install active pickup. I had play uke almost 2 year. Because of my work I can't play my uke and than put inside the case around 2 year, last night I take it out I found my uke crack on both side of the bridge. Any way I can fix or prevent the crack side extent? Many thanks!
    It is really hurt �� I save lot of money to buy this uke!
    IMG_5014.jpgIMG_5016.jpgIMG_5017.jpg
    Same here:

I (as recommended by Booli) slacked off the strings and took it into our local guitar chop and they added braces to the top board (inside of course) to prevent further propagation of the cracks. He could not refinish the top board's glossy finish (too expensive) so the crack will have to be lived with.

We could not determine exactly why it happened. But, the best guess is too drastic of a humidity drop. It came from a fairly humid house to my house whose humidity varies wildly - from 82% to 38% daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    The very FIRST thing I would do is to slack the strings so there is no tension on the bridge, or remove them completely if you have not done so already. Leaving it tuned up is going to add to the problem.

The next thing I'd do is contact either the builder/luthier or the place of purchase and send photos, and inquire about repairs.

Unless you have the tools, the knowledge and the skills, this is not really a repair that an average person can fix. Simply filling in the cracks with glue from the top is only going to make it look bad, and have little effect on the crack itself since the uke has a glossy finish. Typically a luthier will cleat the cracks from the inside.

I have no idea what that would cost, but I empathize with you, and hope you can get it repaired so you can play it again.
    Thanks I just loose the string. I had contact the builder but didn't get any reply. I living in Hong Kong, I don't know where can find luthier in here😩!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks I just loose the string. I had contact the builder but didn't get any reply. I living in Hong Kong, I don't know where can find luthier in here!
    No worries.

Is there a name on the headstock or on a sticker inside the sound hole? What name is there?
    Just the FAQs

Woo....same as my uke! I just loose all of the sting and put it back to the box. It difficult to find good luthier in Hong Kong. Any I don't know how to do or may be send to us to fix it.

Kanile'a the spec is same as kpe tenor but the top is red cedar
    Last edited by sekato_2; 08-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Oh no! I'm very sorry to hear about your Kanile'a. I would suggest that you contact them directly and asking them for advice: http://www.kanileaukulele.com/contact-us/
    Kanile'a KSTP Natural Koa Tenor (High G)
    Mya-Moe Curly Myrtle Tenor (Low G)
    Martin 0XB Soprano (Everyday Carry)

Quote Originally Posted by DanY View Post
    Oh no! I'm very sorry to hear about your Kanile'a. I would suggest that you contact them directly and asking them for advice: http://www.kanileaukulele.com/contact-us/
    Thanks! I had sent Facebook massage to them but still waiting their reply! It really hurt to see my uke crack!

Thanks! I had sent Facebook massage to them but still waiting their reply! It really hurt to see my uke crack!
    A direct phone call is likely to get quicker response. I dunno how often they are active on FB.

listed on their web site contact page from above as:

Phone: (808) 234-2868
    Just the FAQs

Thread Information