Gloss finish repair help/advice needed

Uke Devil

Reaction score
My dad just picked up a cedar solid top tenor (I believe it is an Ohana?) that has a small chip in the top surface gloss finish. Is it possible to do DIY repair for something like this. Asthetically the chip in the surface is not so noticeable. I would be more concerned with the damage propagating or the underlying wood getting damaged.

Thanks all!

My dad just picked up a cedar solid top tenor (I believe it is an Ohana?) that has a small chip in the top surface gloss finish. Is it possible to do DIY repair for something like this. Asthetically the chip in the surface is not so noticeable. I would be more concerned with the damage propagating or the underlying wood getting damaged.

Thanks all!

It's usually best to leave little chips alone unless you have experience doing that type of repair. But, in any case you would need to know what finish is on it already to repair it. Some finishes repair better than others.

It would be easy to turn a "not so noticeable" chip into something that is noticeable.

I personally wouldn't do it myself, but have had an expert touch up small chip using CA glue. I disagree with leaving any damage that has gone all the way through the finish to the wood. I think it should be repaired.

Two weeks after I got my new Mainland i shoved it in the case with my 70s era hippie strap on it, and the brass rivets scratched it. I was sick over it. The other day I was going to show the scratch to my friend and couldn't find it. I'm with those who are saying to just leave it alone and quit looking at it. Your eyes just go to things like that and it twists around in your brain if you obsess over it. The fix is in your head.

Last edited:
Top Bottom