Season 287: Holidays's in mode on!!

Every town in Catalunya has a huge public holiday (three or four days long, at least). They are called the "Festa Major" - and many of the towns kick the Festa off (or finish them off) with an incredible tradition that would give England's Health & Safety officers nightmares for years: the Correfoc.

This song (written especially for this week) explains what happens in a typical Correfoc. The video contains images of correfocs. But at the end of the song you can see a short video I took of the Correfoc in our town in 2015. It gives you a real feel for the event. The bombard like instruments you can hear in that section are the Gralles, I mention in one of the verses.

If you ever come to Catalunya in summer you must try and catch a Correfoc; they are thrilling experiences.

Thanks Berni for introduce in the season the most crazy tradition from Catalunya. I don't like very much the Correfoc but my sons and my husband they love the correfoc.
I agree with Berni that is a thrilling experiences.

Sara

When I heard The Blasters do this around 1980 I'd never heard of Jimmie Rodgers. Silly me. Doc Watson and Merle Haggard did this one, too. But as a special favor to all, I saved the yodeling for the end. :p

I haven't caught up with everyone's songs yet, so I wouldn't be surprised if this one has already been covered. I have used this song before, but it's been a while, and of course this is a whole new arrangement.

I did this one from memory, so I subconsciously changed a few words, I think. Including one possible Freudian slip. I tried to make this version sound more "country."

I saw her leave the luau
With the one who parked the cars
And the fat one from the swimming pool
They were swaying arm in arm
I could hear the ukuleles playing
Down by the sea
She's gone with the hula hula boys
She don't care about me
She don't care about me

They're singing
Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Last night she went to see the Polynesian band
But she got home with her hair all wet
And her clothes all filled with sand
I didn't have to come to Maui
To be treated like a jerk
How does she think I feel
When I see the bellboys smirk?

And I can hear the ukuleles playing
Down by the sea
She don't care about me

They're singing
Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

(and then some ad libs)

("Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana" means something like "and so my story is told," or "and now I have told you my story," or something like that.)

Last edited:
This is an old song from 1959 that I just learned today. According to wikipedia, it was used as the theme song for a TV show called "The Smith Family" which starred Henry Fonda and a teenage Ron Howard (after the Andy Griffith Show), in 1971 and '72. It didn't last long and I was completely unaware of its existence until I just now read about it. But the song went to #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1959.

Primrose Lane life's a holiday on Primrose Lane
Just a holiday on Primrose Lane with you
Can't explain when we're walking down the Primrose Lane
Even roses blooming in the rain with you

Sweet perfume those little old roses bloom
And I want to walk with you my whole life through

Sweet perfume those little old roses bloom
And I want to walk with you my whole life through

<TCK> True History of the Region- I used to do these introductions to my videos over the first chords, and I haven't done that in a looooonnngggg time, but something about this song made me really want to do it. I think it is because I really like the tune. Now I know I say that a lot, but this one is special. On to the song.
As I said in the video, I hope we are talking about the European version of Holiday (vacation), because the American version tends to be made up so greeting cards are bought, and feelings are hurt when cards are not distributed, and the whole thing is maddening...
So this song is about going somewhere. It is not necessarily about going somewhere pleasant, and now that I am older it is likely about going nowhere, but it is about moving around and having adventures. It is by a band called Days N' Daze, and they are functionally, from what I can tell, homeless. SO there is another reason I picked it I reckon- kind of permanent vacation when you are part of our society that elects to be a member of the travelling great unwashed...Anyway, if it doesn't work I'm gonna hit you with the TCK rule and the Thornton rule in the same post, which is awesome. Trust me there.
I should probably just play the song I suppose- Muddy Knees, Days N' Daze, done my way. </TCK>

This is a song called "Holiday" by the '80s New Wave band The Other Ones (not the Grateful Dead offshoot band). Three Australian siblings named Klimek moved to Berlin to get in on the New Wave scene and formed a band there. This song and "We Are What We Are" got some play in the U.S.

Fourth of July by 29moons

The Fourth of July is a huge holiday here in the states. Having recently moved to Oregon we have not had a lot of luck making plans and having fun for the last two years. But, this year it was awesome, just like we used to have in New Mexico. So, I've always wanted to do this song since it is one of my favorite songs by the L.A. based band X. Thornton rule applies here, but I don't think that is much of a stretch. I'm beginning to feel a lot like Birds Eye here for not showing my face much anymore, but I just love stock footage.

BTW - All stock footage was downloaded for free from https://www.videvo.net/

Sera this theme is great. Just made a Spotify playlist of songs I wanna do this week and it's made for an excellent drive into work.

Had a great time watching all the videos last night too!

Holiday Blues Original song

Words:
I need to get away
Have a holiday
My Grandmother said
A rest is as good as a change.
But I know
Wherever I might go
When I get there
Everything remains the same.

Wow! What wonderfuls performances!! Thanks to everybody :)

Jazzbanjorex:Easy, Commodores:Rex this is a fabulous cover. You have done a good and precious job here. But I think if I
was in a place like you are (crystalline waters, palm,hammock...) I would wear a T-shirt like yours, and play a lovely white ukulele ... surely I would sing and play almost as well as you ;-)

AlanDP: An American Dream Alan: I love your choice! This song was in my memory but I didn't know what it means. Now I can say that is a lovely song about vacations. This kind of songs fits you awesome.

Barbablanca: The Correfoc: WoW This one is AWESOME!! I love the picking, the strum, the video...and of course the all song. I love your correfoc look. The description that you make of the whole party is perfect. Thanks a lot Berni!

bird's eye view of my ukelele: HOLIDAY ON THE MOON: Lynda you've managed to create a whimsical atmosphere with this song! Thank you for singing it is a very good choice.

Jazzbanjorex: Come Monday: Rex, I have no idea the meaning of this song. (My very poor level of english does not allow me to understand the lyrics) But the rhythm and melody invites you to take a mohito on the beach in the background before your pet comes .... I'm sorry I'm allergic to dinosaurs. XD I like the song!

Jazzbanjorex: Kokomo: Yes! The Beach Boys could not miss the party. Rex, I do not have to tell you that everything you sing and play you do very well! I'm a big fan of yours!

TCK: Takes some time to celebrate: Thanks to both of you to be here!! I didn't know this song and I like it very much. I love how you play synchronously and especially when you smile. Good job! Thanks for sharing!!

Pabrizzer: Our Army's on Vacation: WOW Brian this is TERRIFIC! This would have to be the spirit of the holidays: everyone in peace because the soldiers are toasting in the sun. I love it Brian! I also ask for perpetual holidays for those who press buttons and shoot guns! Thanks a lot!

Rustyy: Mexico: Oh This song is really pretty! Almost as pretty as your ukulele ;-) Thank you so much for sharing this song that I did not know and I really like it! Well done!

John Sargent: The Witness March: I'm sorry, my pitiful level of English prevents me from understanding the lyrics of the song ... For my ears from the other side of the world sounds great, and your ukulele has me in love. Thanks for sharing!

Recovering Bassist: Monster's holiday: Wow! This is great! How do you play the ukulele !! Well, well done! Here's the idea: grab the ukelele and have a good time !!! Thank you very much.

Recovering Bassist: Wild Weekend: Yes! Right now I'm dancing in the dining room of my house with my little son listening to your song. You put a totally contagious energy! Thank you!!

Demimondaine: Have A Merry Allston Christmas : WoW what a wonderful glasses, and uke! Your song is so cute. Merry Allston Christmas for you! Thanks for sharing!!

wee_ginga_yin: The Laughing Heart a poem by Charles Bukowski :OHHHH!! What a jewel! This is LOVELY! The pictures are lovely, the poem is strong and powerful, and the music...is simple and PERFECT for this one. Thanks for sharing your beautiful holiday's moments. You have made me the day!

LimousinLil: SUNSHINE ON MY SHOULDERS:I didn't know this one and I like very much! Your uke sounds great! Congrats! The picture place is very beautiful. Thanks for be here Val!

RAB11: Road to Nowhere: Good choice!! Talking Heads is the favourite group of my husband. Thanks for sharing!

hendulele: Never No More Blues: I love your bass voice! I don't miss yodeling. Your version is more intimate and simple, but does not lose the essence of the song. Well done!

AlanDP: Hula Hula Boys : Excellent choice here! I love this! Its production is incredible. This song immediately transports you to a paradisiacal beach, right? Thanks!

AlanDP:primrose Lane : How can you learn a song today, and play it with the ukulele so? You have to say me what is the secret...Beautiful, and well played and sung! Thanks a lot!

TCK: and what did I get on my pants? Dave, I'm sure your choice is perfect for this season...Go somewhere, even without moving your sofa ... it's already being on vacation. Vacation is a state of mind, not physical. The postcards and souvenirs only make us miss the essence of what it means to be on holiday.

Uke4ia: Holiday: Your ukulele sounds great! It is a Fluke, right? Your choice is good and perfect for this season. Thanks for sharing!!

29moons: Fourth of July: This song sounds great! I don't know what effects you have made here, but it sounds very well! Your ukuleles sound perfect! Thanks for sharing.

Pabrizzer: Vacation Moon:Light, soft and very inspiring song. Beautiful and delicate. I never get tired of hearing it. Being a host with these songs is a real pleasure!

wee_ginga_yin: Holiday Blues: Amazing production! I love the music...and the lyrics (Thanks for write it) are beautiful and I agree with them. A lot of people go to the other part of the world to get away from their troubles in vacation...but this doesn't work.

bird's eye view of my ukelele: LET'S GET AWAY BABY (TO THE SEA): Yes!!! This sounds great!! Your uke is beautiful and sounds awesome. Very good job here. This song takes your essence. Congrats!

Harry122:
Aba Daba Honeymoon: Randy this song fits you completely. It's great for you. The accompaniment sounds fantastic and your ukulele is just perfect for the occasion.

PLAY LIST UPDATED. (I hope I do not leave anyone!)

Last edited:
Country Folk (who most of our traditional songs come from) in the past did not have holidays in the modern sense so there aren't any traditional songs about holidays as such. There are plenty of songs that celebrate the changing seasons and songs that are about having a good time so I've applied the Thornton Rule and recorded a traditional song about having a good time. Having a good time tended to involve drinking quantities of beer or other alcoholic drinks so most such songs are about drinking and and particularly, in England anyway, drinking beer ( the Scots & Irish celebrate Whisky instead :) ). This song dates back to 1594 but was still being collected in the 20th century. The exact mix of trades has changed over the years but the essential form of the song has remained and the melody most commonly sung is little changed from one found from the time when the song was first published.

UAS struck again recently and I got myself an 8 string to add to my six string so it's an 8 string I'm playing here.

Another "depressing" vacation song along the same lines as The Hula Hula Boys. Recorded by someone who has the best first name ever for a country singer.

I thought some time in the sun
Would help me get over you
But I could tell from day one
This is a place meant for two
Now here I sit on the beach
Watching the tide ebb and flow
I booked my room for a week
But now I'm ready to go

I'm in a tropical depression
I've got the blue water blues
Can't shake this loving you obsession
Can't stand this sand in my shoes