Season 287: Holidays's in mode on!!

If all those years of watching British comedies haven't failed me, when a European says "on holiday," s/he means the same thing as when an American says "on vacation." I hope this is correct.

Alan, don't worry: is perfect! I didn't know that "on vacation" is means the same that "on holiday" ;)

Hello!

Here you are today's videos:

-xommen: Cliff Richard - Summer Holiday: Wim, this is perfect for this season!! I love your wife singing in the back. Congrats, your uke as always sounds terrific and your voice is good too. Thanks for sharing.

wee_ginga_yin: Sleepy dog on permanent holiday:Yes! This is a song for holidays: for the dog and for me! This song gives me peace and inspires me a lot of calm. I do not know how you did it but I love the result. Very good work here!

pabrizzer: Holiday Postcard for sotu 287: Brian! I'm in love of your uke, your fingerpicking, your hats, your beard...and now of your new song! I'm very impressed of your talent. Thanks for sharing this little beautiful jewel.

RAB11: Echo Beach :Ryan you have made a very good job with the ukulele!! it seems easy but it isn't. The rithm is constant and I think is perfect for this song. Thanks for sharing!

RAB11: Holidays in the Sun:I love the ukulele because you can play anything with him. Even Punk!! I love your energy and your brave choice. Well done!

hendulele: Under the Boardwalk: Yes!!! I'm singing along with you with the harmonies!! I love your choice and your uke! Thanks for sharing!!

bird's eye view of my ukelele: HOLIDAY: I prefer your cover to the original! You have made a very good job here. Your uke
sounds great, and your voice...first a little shy, but at the end with a lot of energy! Thanks for sharing!

Recovering Bassist: Holiday for love :Yes!! I love songs of this sytle too!! Terrific performance! Your ukulele sounds
perfect and your energy is contagious. Very good choice here, congrats!

Recovering Bassist: Rock n roll holiday: Your ukulele playing is very good! I love your uke, and the song you have choice. But I really love is your enthusiasm singing. Really impressed.

Harry122:Space Station Vacation: Randy, I have no words for your talent. You are good meaking music, editing and
composing! Great song and great vid! But what I like most of all is your permanent smile. Without a doubt You make the
world much better!

AlanDP: Vacation: Alan this sounds TERRIFIC!!! Your uke is perfect (as usually), your voice too, and your tempo also!!
Very good job! I am little lost with all of this programs, But I realize they work. Thanks for sharing!

I'm so fun watching your videos.!! Tomorrow more! (I'm going to the bed, here in Barcelona is almost 1 AM! Good night!)

Sara

I lowered this song by a whole step from the original and still couldn't hit that high backing vocal part. Then I looked it up and discovered that it was Linda Ronstadt singing that part. LOL!

As a courtesy to our great hostess this week, I am going to put the lyrics for all my songs below the video, even though they are covers. And of course, if I manage to write an original, I'll do it for that as well.

There's a little harmonica at the end. It's just a basic three-chord song, so feel free to sing along!

I beg your pardon momma what did you say
My mind was drifting on a Martinique day
It's not that I'm not interested you see
Augusta Georgia is just no place to be

I think Jamaica in the moonlight
Sandy beaches drinking rum every night
We've got no money momma but we can go
We'll split the difference and go to Coconut grove

Just keep on talking momma I can hear
Your voice it tickles down inside of my ear
I feel a tropical vacation this year
Might be the answer to this Hillbilly beer

Sandy beaches drinking rum every night

Viola an American dream
We can travel girl without any means
When it's as easy as closing your eyes
And dream Jamaica is a big neon sign

Just keep talking momma I like that sound
It goes so easy with that rain falling down
I think a tropical vacation this year
Might be the answer to this Hillbilly beer

Viola an American dream
We can travel girl without any means
When it's as easy as closing your eyes
And dream Jamaica is a big neon sign

Sandy beaches making love every night

Every town in Catalunya has a huge public holiday (three or four days long, at least). They are called the "Festa Major" - and many of the towns kick the Festa off (or finish them off) with an incredible tradition that would give England's Health & Safety officers nightmares for years: the Correfoc.

This song (written especially for this week) explains what happens in a typical Correfoc. The video contains images of correfocs. But at the end of the song you can see a short video I took of the Correfoc in our town in 2015. It gives you a real feel for the event. The bombard like instruments you can hear in that section are the Gralles, I mention in one of the verses.

If you ever come to Catalunya in summer you must try and catch a Correfoc; they are thrilling experiences.

Those who are left behind at holiday time can misbehave, too.

The Witness March. This is an original lyric about a proselytizing holiday. Set to the tune of Teddy Bears Picnic.

Last edited:
This was a hit in 1974 for Buck Owens. More for Halloween maybe, but it's legal for this Season, and a really fun song I think.

Every year, students flood into Allston/Brighton on the first of September. Here's a song about that: Allston Christmas.

For me holiday time has always been about the whole family getting together.
My daughter Riina - the artistic one - made a garland of summer flowers and
all of the family members were crowned for a photo session. I laid this very
simple tune over the slideshow and sung/recited a Charles Bukowski poem.
Even the tiniest bit of light is better than darkness. Perhaps somebody need this.

The Laughing Heart by Charles Bukowski

your life is your life
don’t let it be clubbed into dank submission.
be on the watch.
there are ways out.
there is light somewhere.
it may not be much light but
it beats the darkness.
be on the watch.
the gods will offer you chances.
know them.
take them.
you can’t beat death but
you can beat death in life, sometimes.
and the more often you learn to do it,
the more light there will be.
your life is your life.
know it while you have it.
you are marvelous
the gods wait to delight
in you.

Hi Sara! A very topical theme ... everybody in France goes on holiday in August and our local area is full of tourists. The photos in the video were taken at our local resort lake, just ten minutes down the hill from us. I took the opportunity to record this today as it might be the only day of sunshine this week; the holiday makers might be here, but the weather is not being particularly kind to them at the moment!

Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination.

Here's some Talking Heads

Please ignore the tiger in the background. He's very friendly and his name is Lion

I've had wine. This was harder to sing than I thought it would be.

As a courtesy to our great hostess this week, I am going to put the lyrics for all my songs below the video, even though they are covers. And of course, if I manage to write an original, I'll do it for that as well.

Thanks a lot Alan! This is so kind! I apreciatte so much it!

Sara

Top Bottom