Season 287: Holidays's in mode on!!

For those not in the United States that may not know, Vacation Bible School are classes sponsored by Churches that children attend when their regular school is on vacation/holiday, mainly in the summertime. This is a comedy song I attempted by Ray Stevens, who has several other songs in this similar vein. I think they're hilarious. I am including the lyrics to make it easier for our gracious host of this week to follow along in English.

Well, where I grew up in talapusa
When summertime came we all use'ta
Go to a place called vacation bible school

We'd look up verses in the bible
Make paper cut outs of the twelve disciples
And memorize the ten commandments and the golden rule

I remember once when my class made
A big ol' batch of lemonade
To be used by a student teacher at the sunday sermon

Yeah we put in lemons, and sugar and water
And even though I knew I shouldn't ought'er
I put in some moonshine I got from my uncle herman

Now that sunday dawned real hot and dusty
And to say the lease we were all real thirsty
And that seminary started hittin' that lemonade
And kept it well in reach

Then to the best of my recollection
Before the deacons were halfway through the collection
He stood up and drank from the pitcher and began to preach Ho!

Oh the things we used to do
In vacation bible schoo'
When I was just a barefoot boy in dixie
If my mama had only known
Even a half of what went on
She'd cut a switch off of a hickory
She'd a whipped me

Well he told that samson didn't take no sass
And whipped the philistines with the jaw bone of an ass
But to tell the truth, he got all that just a little mixed up

I can't tell you exactly what he said
But the minute he said it every face went red
But he just paused, and kinda staggered and then he hiccuped

He gave botanical names for mideast flora
Told all about sodom and gomorrah

And though his speech was slurred
It was very graphic

He used words I'd never heard back then
And even now I only hear 'em when
I'm stuck in a new york cab
In five o clock traffic

Well the sermon ended and he didn't rest
He went right into the gettysburg address
And then a stirring rendition of casey at the bat

He did impressions of garbo and gary cooper
And I tell ya friends, I thought it was super
'cause for props he grabbed the organ players wig and a deacon's hat

In vacation bible schoo'
She'd a whipped me

Well we never had heard any preachin' like that
And we never invited that young man back
But to tell the truth, I thought it was a pitty

But I heard he went up preachin' that day
And he gave up cussin' and lemonade
And went to selling aluminum siding in yazoo city

In vacation bible schoo'
She'd a whipped me

A very short and fun one from me Sara, Its one of the very few pieces I can vaguely play from memory so no need for my goggles for a change.
It always reminds me of a typical seaside outing at a British resort for some reason.
(and yes I've also been a very naughty boy for not making my bed this morning) :eek:

Last edited:
I assumed this one was only a hit in the UK, even though it seems to be set on sunny Californian beaches. But apparently it reached No4 in the US charts, and only 13 here in the UK, for First Class. They were a studio creation which included Tony Burrows, who also sang with Edison Lighthouse, White Plains, The Pipkins, The Flowerpot Men, and Brotherhood of Man. Busy chap.

Anyway, for me, this was the soundtrack to a hot summer, or that's how I remember it.

Right bear with me on this one. I know it's a season about holidays and I'm here with a song called 'Home' but here's why.

The song itself has a sort of travelling vibe to it but beneath that it's all about it not nattering where you happen to be as long as you have the right people with you while you're there.

It's also one of my favourite songs and one of the few love songs I'll sing for Mrs RAB. So as soon as the idea came into my head I knew I'd have to Thornton my way into doing it.

Two months ago we went to Hong Kong for a 10 day holiday. When I was looking for songs for this week I remembered this one.

Hello!

What good songs in this season!

greyghost: Holiday : I didn't know it and I like it! Your uke sounds great! Thanks for sharing!

Tootler: When Jones's Ale Was New: I love tradicional songs! They are the music's mother. Your new uke is really pretty and sounds GREAT! Thanks Geoff to be here!

AlanDP: Tropical Depression: Alan! It's a pity that this song is so sad, because is very pretty. I've heard in holidays is the season when more divorces there are. Now it's time to sing another happier, isn't it? ;-) Good job!!

Jazzbanjorex: Route 66:WOW!! I can not stop watching your fingers and your right hand! I love the song tempo! And your uke sounds from other galaxy (may be Randy's galaxy ;-) When my sons have the university paid I will go to Route 66. Great job Rex!!

stanat20
: oh I do like to be beside the seaside: I love the seasons because I discover authentic jewels like this. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Recovering Bassist: Vacation Bible School: Your interpretation lives up to the hilarious lyrics. Spectacular!

Recovering Bassist:Summer skies and golden sand :I love the solo in the middle of the song! Thanks for sharing!!

mythinformed
:Take Me Back:Ohhh What a little pretty tune!! Thanks for sharing it! Don't worry about your bed, I have always thought that household chores are overrated. Good job here!!

YorkSteve:
Beach Baby: well sung and played Steve! You always give a special bright to the songs! I like it very much!

RAB11: Home: You are right: Doesn't matter where you end up as long as you're with the right person! Thanks for sharing with us!! Good job!

bird's eye view of my ukelele: SEALED WITH A KISS: WoW You have transportated me to my chilhood!! Good choice Lynda!! Thanks!

Rustyy: Ong Ong: Lovely song here!! But I just do not understand the relationship with Hong Kong ...;-)

Jazzbanjorex: The Hawaiian Turnaround: Rex, I really feel like learning the songs you sing! I really like this. It gives very good vibes (I do not know if you understand what I mean:¬)

Rustyy: Dreadlock Holiday: I didn't know it and I like it! Thanks for sing and play it here! I fell in love of your ukulele! It sounds GREAT and it is really pretty. Thanks for teaching me new songs and new ukuleles brands. My UAS is in mode ON!!!

Pabrizzer: Knee Deep: I love your rough jobs Brian! I like it very much!

Turtledrum: You Belong To Me : Linda You are a master creating atmospheres and landscapes with your beautiful performances. Thanks a lot for sharing with us this beautiful and sweet jewel.

PLAY LIST UPDATED

Thanks a lot!

Sara

Summertime Blues

News of the terrorist attacks in Barcelona were just coming through as I came to upload this.
My sympathies to Sara & Bernie, and to all Catalans.

Holidays and camps - several Seasonistas have covered the song "Hello Muddah, Hello Fadduh" over the years, but I learned just a few weeks ago from Tommy that a Finnish version exists. So here is the song in Finnish, with literal translation to English, because the camps in Finland have some special characteristics. :)

Hello friends!

I want to tell you that at home everyone ok, and that the Catalans will continue to be hospitable, open and peaceful people. Today more than ever I claim the words of Pa: my wishes that everyone who has HATE go on vacation to roast in the sun.

Thank you for your thoughts towards us.

A big Hug from Barcelona

Sara

I love spending time in nature. This song doesn't have holiday in the title but it is included in the lyrics and it is a great description of what I love about being in the mountains.

An original. This is a song about a place we used to go. As I say in the song, I don't know why it was called Honeymoon Camp, because it was not the kind of place that most newlyweds would want to actually spend their honeymoon. But my family and my uncle's family would go there every Memorial Day weekend (right after school ended) and again on Labor Day weekend (right before school began again). We did this every summer for several years in a row when I was a teenager. I'm pretty sure the place is no longer in operation. It was on Lake LBJ, west of Marble Falls, Texas.

Edited to add: I was wrong. It is still in operation. I just looked it up.

Saturday morning, we'd get up at dawn
No time to put a pot of coffee on
We packed everything the night before
Gonna head on down to that lazy lake shore

At Honeymoon, a place called Honeymoon
I don't know why they named it like that
For families and kids, it's the place to be at
Oh Honeymoon, a place called Honeymoon
Fishing and swimming, we'll have the best time
Jump right in, the water's fine
At Honeymoon

My family and my uncle's, too