Season 287: Holidays's in mode on!!

Hello friends!

I want to tell you that at home everyone ok, and that the Catalans will continue to be hospitable, open and peaceful people. Today more than ever I claim the words of Pa: my wishes that everyone who has HATE go on vacation to roast in the sun.

Thank you for your thoughts towards us.

A big Hug from Barcelona

Sara

Bless you and your Countryfolk, Sara
una embracada
Terri and Alan

Hello friends!

I want to tell you that at home everyone ok, and that the Catalans will continue to be hospitable, open and peaceful people. Today more than ever I claim the words of Pa: my wishes that everyone who has HATE go on vacation to roast in the sun.

Thank you for your thoughts towards us.

A big Hug from Barcelona

Sara

Love and peace, Sara!

Sara, I got home yesterday from a day out to hear of yet another murderous vehicle attack. My condolences and best wishes to all in Barcelona and Catalunya and Spain generally.

dunno if this quite fits the season, it mentions sunshine but is that enough?! recovering bassist has been giving me loads of great ideas for songs this week, he mentioned this one, after i did "walking in the sunshine" and it made me wanna bring it for the week, but if it doesn't quite fit, no worries! a feel good song for a feel good season in a truly awful week this week - thinking of everyone in spain right now

hey, katrina... give us a wave! :rolleyes:

This isn't a song about a vacation or holiday, but it is a song about a famous and popular place that many people go to on vacation: the Big Bend area of west Texas. All the places mentioned in this song are real places; you can look them up on google maps if you want to see where they are.

My family and I went there once for about a week when I was 10 or 11 years old. I really should go back again sometime.

Those who are familiar with the songs of Billy Walker or Marty Robbins should recognize this melody.

The moon rising over Boquillas
Is quite a magnificent moon
The restless and wild Rio Grande
Shines like a long silver spoon
As the night winds blow through the canyons
Coyotes beginning to croon
The moon rising over Boquillas
Is quite a magnificent moon

The sun setting over the Chisos
Sets fire to the sky and the peaks
Down in the town of Terlingua
Renders them helpless to speak
Say a prayer to our great Padre Dios
For the blessings we daily receive
The sun setting over the Chisos
Sets fire to the sky and the peaks

It's been forty years since I left there
As a young man and started to roam
With millions of folks in the city
I still can't help feeling alone
How I miss the Sierra del Carmen
A paradise carved out of stone
Give my love to good Santa Helena
Tell the Big Bend that I'm coming home

Sara was disappointed that she couldn't see my uke, so here are a couple of pictures of them. :)

The Concert scale ukes.

P1000588.jpg

The tenor scale ukes.

P1000587.jpg

The one on the left is the one I used here, (presently fitted with cheap classical guitar strings, as an experiment.)

(Click on the photos to see them enlarged.)

Last edited:
I recorded this one again (I also did this song for last season) as it fits this theme, here is another take on Mike Love's Permanent Holiday.

Last edited:
Sara was disappointed that she couldn't see my uke, so here are a couple of pictures of them. :)

The Concert scale ukes.

View attachment 102443

The tenor scale ukes.

View attachment 102442

The one on the left is the one I used here, (presently fitted with cheap classical guitar strings, as an experiment.)

Awesome collection!! Wow.

Invoking some Thornton rule on this one, but with the insanity of various World leaders nowadays, including the one here in the USA, who knows anymore, we could all be on a permanent vacation/holiday soon enough ......This is song Jim Lauderdale and Robert Hunter wrote together, they've written a lot of them together in recent years. I'm including the lyrics as well.

Saturday night, it's the end of the world
Sitting round with our flags unfurled
Walking the dog, feeding the cat
No matter what happens, can't forget about that

What do you know, it's the end of the world
The very thought makes my whiskers curl
Reading the paper, baby, checking the news
Only for a moment, got to read the reviews

It's the end of the world
The end of the world, what do you know
Grab your honey, get ready to go

Television coverage, the end of the world
In between the ads, hang on in there, girl
Watch out the window, without commentary
They tell us that it looks extraordinary

It's the end of the world as we know it today
Wrap it with a ribbon and cart it away
Civilisation was a joke and a half
Just hanging around, now, to have the last laugh

Grab your money, get ready to go

Only thing I'll miss is the love of my friends
Hard to believe this is how it all ends
If it was my choice, I'd rather survive
But nobody gets out of this pond alive

End of the world, well what can you say
Nobody ever thought it would end this way
Don't mimic your mind about yesterday
Next thing you know there's no more today

Great theme! The Gare Bear and I just drove 3300 miles to the West Coast, relocating for keeps to our place in WA now that he's retired. My singing is pretty awful here because he kept making me laugh, but the scenery can't be beat!

The Concert scale ukes.

View attachment 102443

The tenor scale ukes.

View attachment 102442

How do you find the Baton Rouge concert Keith? Thinking about getting one of their tenors.

The Concert scale ukes.

View attachment 102443

The tenor scale ukes.

View attachment 102442

WOW!! What a collection! Congratulations!

Sara

Hello!

What a beautiful season! I'm really enjoying a lot of your entries in this ugly and sad week. Luckily we will always have the music and the seasons!

redpaul1: Summertime Blues Super energy here!! I love it!! I didn`t know this one but You made me want to learn it! I love the way you finish the song: with a smile! Thanks a lot!

kolibri:
Kirje leiriltä: What a wonderful song! I loved going to camp when I was a child. The camp is the most powerful representation of holidays. Thanks for sharing and for lyrics :)

lelouden: Cool An' Green An' Shady: Pretty, pretty and very pretty song and lovely vid!! Thanks Linda for your beautiful cover. And thanks a lot for including the lyrics of the song. You have made a very good job! I love: "Find yourself and maybe lose yourself. While your free spirit flies." :)

AlanDP: A Place Called Honeymoon: Alan, your song is really pretty! And a wonderful place was Honeymoon! Your voice here is great!! Good job!

bird's eye view of my ukelele: WALKING IN THE SUNSHINE: Great job here Lynda! I like very much this one!! Thanks!

uke1950: Wipeout :Thanks for sahring! I'm glad you're better off your cold! Next time I would like to see your ukuelele. I love them! ;-)

Jazzbanjorex: 26 Miles: Thanks Rex! This one is perfect for this season. I love your smiling friend and your shirt :)

bird's eye view of my ukelele: WALKING ON SUNSHINE: I love this song!!! Thanks for play it Lynda!! Great job!

Alan DP: Song of the Big Bend: What a beautiful song! It remembers me mexican songs: A lot of spanish names, and the tune...Good job Alan!

Jazzbanjorex: California Here I Come: Rex in spanish there is an expression: "culo veo, culo deseo" that it means more or less: "I see it, I want it"...well, with your songs I feel something like that: I listen it, I want to learn it...Thanks for sharing this little jewel.

xommen: Permanent Holiday: SUPER performance here Wim!! I missed it last season, I'm glad you repeat it here!! Thanks a lot.

Recovering Bassist: End of the World rag: I would go to the end of the world if you came with your uke and your crazy songs!! ;-)

auntieuku: Holiday Road: Ohhh What a gift! A great location, great uke playing...and great laughs! I love it, and I've

enjoyed watching the vid and your left hand playing. Thanks for be here!!

Top Bottom