KALA KA-ZTP-CTG CEDAR ZIRICOTE TENOR (HMS exclusive)

Arik

“Where words fail, music speaks.”
UU VIP
Reaction score
Just received my Kala ZTP-CTG (exclusive) ukulele. I was initially looking to get the Kala KA-ATP-CTG as a uke to keep at work. I was looking for one and saw this ukulele site exclusive.

Features (10 of 10)
I have to say it is beautiful and the gloss finish is gorgeous! The uke is much lighter weight than what I had expected. It is much lighter weight than my Pono MTSH and my HF-3. The Ziricote has a very nice pattern and looks great. I was a little concerned that the Paduuk Binding and Rosette was going to be too red but it is more of a reddish/ brown. The contrast of the bindings with the Solid Cedar top and Ziricote sides/back is perfect. Im also a sucker for slot head ukes. I think the faceplate is Ziricote.

Sound (9 of 10)
As far as the sound. It projects very well and pretty loud. I changed out the strings because I am not a fan of the Aquila sound. So I changed out the Aquilas with a set of Freemont Blacklines. Really sings after changing out the strings. My other ukes are solid wood ukes but this sounds pretty good for what it is. I have had it for a couple weeks and am super impressed with the way it sounds and its playability.

Action, Fit & Finish (10 of 10)
HMS set up, nuf said on that. Fit and fiinish, again it is gorgeous. The headstock has the Kala inlayed and really looks nice.

Reliability/Durability (?)
Who knows paid a great price so im not expecting much but I think this guy will be around for a long while

Overall Rating (10 of 10)
I would highly recommend this uke for anyone that wants a modern looking uke, that sounds great, and is on a moderate budget (I paid $275!). I think the K brands resonate more and have a different sound but I am super impressed with the ukulele's that Kala are turning out. Thanks, Andrew and the HMS/Ukulele Site team for this great uke!

DSCF0014.jpgDSCF0017.jpgDSCF0019.jpgDSCF0022.jpgDSCF0028.jpg

Last edited:
Great review, thanks! The woods and the finish sure look nice. Does it have a radius fretboard? (I can't tell from the pictures...)

That is a lot of uke for the Monet. Cool it is HMS exclusive and set up. Sound clips sound good. Thanks for review

Great review, thanks! The woods and the finish sure look nice. Does it have a radius fretboard? (I can't tell from the pictures...)

Hi Rakelele. Unfortunately this uke does not have a radius fretboard.

Very nice. Yeah, Kala has become a main contender in the mid price range. I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine. It sounds great, plays easy, and with the mods and character I've given it, no one else would appreciate it the way I do anyway.
I hope you play in in good health for many years to come!

Very nice. Yeah, Kala has become a main contender in the mid price range. I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine. It sounds great, plays easy, and with the mods and character I've given it, no one else would appreciate it the way I do anyway.
I hope you play in in good health for many years to come!

Agreed with you about the comments about how great Kala is. I really don't think any player would need to go any further...well unless they get a bit by the UAS bug;)

Many years of good health and playing to you too Nickie:shaka:

I love the look of the ziricote Kala ukuleles (laminate) and will likely buy one someday just for their looks. The sound is really baseline laminate.

What you have bought is a recipe for a much better sounding ukulele...solid cedar with laminate ziricote...functional and a similar level of beauty. Congrats...now I need to prowl The Ukulele Site and see if there are any videos of it being played (there likely are)...

I saw a soprano on Big Island in Feb., LOVED the sound but the figure of the wood was beautiful. Kick myself for not buying it

I have the cutaway version of this ukulele. It’s a keeper. It has a wonderful tone when paired with Worth Browns.

My one issue with it is the standard nut width. After getting a Flight Phantom, which has a wide nut, and I keep thinking I should upgrade the entirety of my little stable of ukes. If that happens, I would probably would still keep the Kala. It certainly would be the last to go.

I have the cutaway version of this ukulele. It’s a keeper. It has a wonderful tone when paired with Worth Browns.

My one issue with it is the standard nut width. After getting a Flight Phantom, which has a wide nut, and I keep thinking I should upgrade the entirety of my little stable of ukes. If that happens, I would probably would still keep the Kala. It certainly would be the last to go.

Agree on the nut width, that's why I sold my cedar/acacia version. If they offered those models with wider nut and string spacing, I'd probably own a couple of them, the tone was very fine.

Top Bottom