Spruce and maple vs willow, vs mahogany.

Rllink

Reaction score
I'm looking at sopranos. Just looking, and I can look for a long time. So just for discussion's sake, how about some opinions on spruce and maple, willow, and comparing it to mahogany? I have a mahogany Mainland and a Mahogany Makala concerts. I would imagine that the wood on the Makala, being a laminate wouldn't really affect the sound that much. But right now I'm looking at a Kamoa E3-S which is maple, with a spruce top, and I've looked at a Willow Ohana. I haven't actually gotten my hands on either, so I'm just looking at pictures. For those who are giving their advise, keep in mind that I play on street corners and in parks regularly so volume is important.

I think you can find sound samples of the Kamoa online, said to be quite loud, not so sure about the Ohana willow, it seems to be quite new over here.

I'm looking at sopranos. Just looking, and I can look for a long time. So just for discussion's sake, how about some opinions on spruce and maple, willow, and comparing it to mahogany? I have a mahogany Mainland and a Mahogany Makala concerts. I would imagine that the wood on the Makala, being a laminate wouldn't really affect the sound that much. But right now I'm looking at a Kamoa E3-S which is maple, with a spruce top, and I've looked at a Willow Ohana. I haven't actually gotten my hands on either, so I'm just looking at pictures. For those who are giving their advise, keep in mind that I play on street corners and in parks regularly so volume is important.

Here is a nice piece on wood tonality. http://www.theukulelereview.com/2012/03/15/which-tonewoods-are-best-for-ukulele/

Spruce tops are pretty loud, if properly built.

But on figure 8 sopranos I find them generally to be rather "brash" - lots of treble, plenty of jangly overtones. This might be good for street corner playing, as it's the high frequencies which cut through, but I tend not to enjoy playing them so much when I'm just playing for me.

However, I find that on the cigar box and camp (circular body) ukes I've built the sound is much more balanced - still plenty of volume but less of the brashness.

What about the pineapple shape. I have recently bought two - a Mele (koa and mahogany) and a Kamaka (koa). I am contrasting these with my mahogany 30s Martin and find them much more mellow and rich. I like soprano size as they are so easy to put into my carry on bag when traveling. I have a wonderful concert and a great tenor BUT I keep these to use at home or with playing friends.
Woods make a difference. I went from an all mahogany Mainland concert to a Bruko cedar and rosewood. I play a red cedar Mainland with rosewood back and sides. The rosewood gives great projection and the cedar is sweet in both instruments.
The upshot for me - have a variety of instruments and change them around. For my own pleasure it is the pineapples that I mostly pick up when I want to just make a joyful noise.

I've played a couple of Ohana willow ukes, was not impressed. A fellow club member bought one, she likes it though.
Of the sopranos I've tried, I think I'd have to go with mahogany. Martin Guitars can't be wrong on that one. Although rosewood and cedar would be awfully tempting.

I have a maple ukulele, all solid wood. It´s a Brüko soprano size. I bought it second hand and put Aquila concert strings on it. As it is a soprano I keep it tuned a half tone lower. It has a rather sharp tone, The manufacturer claims it to be "pure" that could be a good description, some might describe it as cold, others as neutral. Brükos are known to be somewhat "plinky".
It has original tuners on it, I like the way they work. I can´t compare it to neither willow nor spruce, as I havn´t tried any such ukulele and my only reference would be to what I heard in Youtube. Longer sustain then mahogny and a less warm, punchy sound.

I'd vote Spruce if going for loudness

Top Bottom