is there such a thing?

bellgamin

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
i seek an acoustic/electric guiter that is 7 or 8 strings:

7string-- double strings on 6th string so that I can have 2 E strings, octave apart

OR

8string-- doubled on 4th & 6th, again an octave apart

Are either or both such instruments available? If so, where?

I suppose I could buy a 12 string & convert it to the above described set-ups ...... is there any reason why that might not work out so well?

I will welcome any& all comments & suggestions.

aloha from Hawaii........

Hello Bellgamin,

7 and 8 strings electric guitars are favored in some heavy-metal sub-genres and you can easily find a great choice of instruments if you enjoy flashy colors and extra-large necks. It will leave you with two problems : the price, which is always on the high side, and the nut which must be changed to fit your special stringing.
The other solution, which may or may not be cheaper, but most straightforward and without the nut issue, is to go for an electric mandola (8 strings in 4 course) that you can string the way you want without modification. The Eastwood Airline might fill the bill, but there must be other brands and models.

hope this helps,
Regards

Bellgamin:

Yes, there is. Both Taylor and Martin has (or had) a 7- string acoustic, with either a doubled 3rd or 4th string, I can't remember. I have played both, and they sounedd fantastic. The name of the Martin was the Roger McGuinn model. It was not a big seller, so they might have discontinued it. I don't know the model name for the Taylor.

@ Bellgamin-

Actually, there is this device called 'AddString' that lets you add 1 or up to 6 additional strings to a standard acoustic guitar, so with this device/kit-of-parts you could add an octave string as in the OP.

http://www.addstring.com/

I've not tried it or seen one in person, but it seems that this will achieve exactly what you want to add specific octave strings...hope this helps! :)

Actually, there is this device called 'AddString' that lets you add 1 or up to 6 additional strings to a standard acoustic guitar ...
I checked it out. They have a video that shows how it's installed. Very ingenious!!! But not my cup of tea (my talents, such as they are, lie in such as tax advice & computer systems analysis -- when it comes to manual dexterity, I have to pull my car over to the side of the road in order to honk the horn.)

... 7 and 8 strings electric guitars are favored in some heavy-metal sub-genres and you can easily find a great choice of instruments if you enjoy flashy colors and extra-large necks.
Yessss! I found several of these at ebay, et alia. I shall probably go this route.

Yes, there is. Both Taylor and Martin has (or had) a 7- string acoustic, with either a doubled 3rd or 4th string, I can't remember. I have played both, and they sounded fantastic. The name of the Martin was the Roger McGuinn model. It was not a big seller, so they might have discontinued it. I don't know the model name for the Taylor.
I did a search (I use duck duck go search engine -- I detest google). I found several of the used Martin McGuinns, but they were all waaay out of my price range. My progeny (kids, grands, & great-grands) have a birthday/Christmas list for me. I shall try & get the Martin on that list -- I would looove to own/play one. Thanks for putting me onto it.

Top Bottom