Greetings from Austin Texas

Mike W

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the board and new to Uke's.
I have a few now and loving each one's slightly different sound.
Mostly lower end stuff from Ohana, Kala, Lanikai and two from Oscar Schmidt one being the ou2 electric Tenor and the other is the OU5 Concert which is absolutely beautiful with its glossy finish and inlay.

I just purchased a Kumalae that is in fairly bad shape (waiting for it to arrive) but by the pictures it is in dire need of some serious love and glue. I am looking forward to getting it going again and sure I'll have some questions in the coming weeks lol.

I am new to playing the Ukulele, and probably have more Ukes than songs I know, lol. It has been very therapeutic though, and that is priceless.

Doing a quick reply to see how hard it is to post a picture :)

Here is three of my Ukulele's

I just recieved a Lanikai the seller shipped in a paper bag taped like a Christmas present. Top was cracked and I wasn't surprised at all.... He did refund me all but shipping cost and let me keep the cracked Uke, which still sounds awesome lol. I will be fixing it as soon as I get the right supplies in for the job :)

Attachments

• Ukulele by 3.jpg
    Ukulele by 3.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Welcome aboard. :)

You'll fit in well, 5 ukes already. :rofl: That's known as UAS around here.

(To post pictures, you need to use the icon above where you type in your reply, (third from the right).

Thanks Keith M.
Are they links or can you get thumbnails in the text box post?

Wow there is allot on this site, browsing around now.... So much stuff :)

OSOU5.jpg

I think they are links, either to a photo on your computer, which gets a copy uploaded, or else to your picture hosted on another website.

Don't miss checking out the Seasons threads, they're 'home' to a lot of us. ;)

Welcome! You've already caught the bug (it's extremely easy to do). Hola from sunny Arizona. My dad lives in Kyle, which is fairly close to Austin.

I think they are links, either to a photo on your computer, which gets a copy uploaded, or else to your picture hosted on another website.

Don't miss checking out the Seasons threads, they're 'home' to a lot of us. ;)

Cool, I will check that out.

Welcome! You've already caught the bug (it's extremely easy to do). Hola from sunny Arizona. My dad lives in Kyle, which is fairly close to Austin.

Yeah the bug got me good on this. I know three full songs now and play them over and over haha, my Daughter is going crazy lol

Yep I have been through Kyle, really close indeed. I am north of Austin In an area called Cedar Park. its ok here but hot all the time.... I guess you would know hot living in Arizona though. I need a week of snow lol

Ok so I did the picture post from the computer upload on here and now I want to try to see if tumblr works as easy lol
so here is another test.

Two Hard cases I got off ebay for $23.00 each. one is a tenor and the other is a Soprano. I ordered a Concert size also but it has not arrived yet, I am real pleased with these and the price is killer.

tumblr_oup943WHsC1ujvcifo1_540.jpg

Hi Mike. Austin must be the only sane and safe place to live in Texas. Nice looking OU. A friend of mine just sold her 10 year old solid koa OU for $800!

Hi Nickie.
Solid Koa would be so nice. I just bought a old KUMALAE (real old) that is solid Koa but it is cracked and needs some work. I think I can fix the cracks and inlay issues without going insane (hopefully) lol
When it comes in and I get some supplies I'll probably post a thread about how its coming along, that way people can chime in suggestions and stuff.
I know I need to get some Koa saw dust and scrap pieces which seems to be fairly readily available and I may build a jig to keep pressure on it overnight but thats just me over thinking things before it even arrives haha

Here is a picture of it from the sale.

s-l1600 smaller.jpg

Some of the Rope edging is missing at the bottom left but the sound hole looks intact. the cracks I am not worried about yet as they look repairable but that is if it shows up here looking just like the pictures

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

Welcome to UU.
You live in a great friendly music town. I lived in Austin back when it was cooler and there wasn't really that much traffic. Cedar Park was way out west!

Hi Mike,

Welcome to UU.
You live in a great friendly music town. I lived in Austin back when it was cooler and there wasn't really that much traffic. Cedar Park was way out west!

Yeah its nothing but suburbs now, and traffic as far as the eyes can see. The best way into Austin now is the train shuttle which is an adventure all on its own lol.
Nice place with nice people but I have only lived here a little over 5 years... Crazy thing is I moved from Charlottesville Virginia, its getting crazy in that town with all the violence in the news the past few days.

Wow, Mike, that little guy really took a beating. Keep us posted on your progress fixing it up!

Will do Nickie.
I got it in Thursday and found the crack on the back was the worst one and since there is so many cracks I am going to make some sorta jig to hold it while it sets up.
Overall though it is pretty solid, better than I expected.
I'll start a thread after I get the supply's in and start making a jig of some sort :)

ukulele sound hole.jpg

Also looking for the right stuff to make the rope edge with to fix the 2 inches that is missing. I saw in a Grizzly catalog the sell it in 3' lengths and the picture looks identical but that would be far too easy lol, I will order some just in case though.

Last edited:
I bought a Cordoba Concert off craigslist amd pretty happy with it. I posted a video on instagram but other than the url I dont know how to put it on here lol

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX7ILfZgt3k/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX7ILfZgt3k/

Here is a picture, I saw thes in the local music shop and they play pretty nicely so when I saw it on craigslist for half the price I figured I couldn't go wrong lol

ukulele cordoba.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome Mike from another UAS infected Mike, for which I make no apologies. In the first year I played four years ago, I was up to 16 ukes, all tenor cutaway, then culled them down to 4, which has gone up to 7 now. I also started playing bass uke then and I'm up to 15 of those. My signature tells the story. Being that you have the inclination to work on yours, you fit right in here.

Welcome Mike from another UAS infected Mike, for which I make no apologies. In the first year I played four years ago, I was up to 16 ukes, all tenor cutaway, then culled them down to 4, which has gone up to 7 now. I also started playing bass uke then and I'm up to 15 of those. My signature tells the story. Being that you have the inclination to work on yours, you fit right in here.

Your Signature list is epic!
I would make a list but it would be mainly a list of every starter Uke available lol, I will get there one day :)

I had been looking at Bruce Wei Ukes on ebay allot before joining here. his Ukuleles look beautiful and for solid the price is usually crazy low, one of those is on my list of wants.

I do look forward to trying to work on this older Ukulele, I am not versed very well on wood working but for ten years I built custom motorcycle frames and found the big difference between wood and metal is its harder to add wood if you mess up, haha.

I do find wood allot more challenging though, so fingers crossed :)

Here is one of the bikes we did with a custom 4" backbone to hold the fuel.

Pictures signshop 276.jpg

Top Bottom