Protect yourself!

Nickie

Reaction score
I am going to present a series of short postings to help you protect yourself against Identity Theft, the fastest growing crime in America. Please don't confuse it with credit card fraud, or think your bank can protect you from it. And your attorney can't fix it either.
Here's some helpful tips:

Please review the tips below and be aware of your surroundings when using any ATM.
Be prepared: Have your deposit slips, checks, endorsements, and other documents ready.
Be cautious: Inspect the ATM for skimming devices that can be attached to ATMs and capture your card information. Protect your PIN by shielding your PIN entry with your hand or body.
Be observant: Scan the surrounding area prior to approaching an ATM. If you feel uneasy for any reason, leave the area.
Be patient: If you see another person using the ATM, allow them to finish their transaction before approaching.

How to spot a phishing email:
Requests: If information is requested in an email, identify alternative ways to provide the information. If you have any doubt, don’t respond to the email.
Email details: Inspect the sender’s email address and hover over any URL links included in the message. Although the email address and URL may appear to be legitimate at first glance, this information can be spoofed or direct you to an unauthorized site.
Urgency: Scare tactics are often used to prompt victims to respond to requests for personal or financial information. Email notices that threaten to close your account or impose fines or penalties should be treated as suspect.
Typos and grammatical errors: Spelling errors and oddly structured sentences can be a quick indication that the email is not from a legitimate source.

Malware is malicious software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems. Your computer can potentially be infected when you open an attachment, click on a pop-up ad, or download a game, song, screensaver, or other application. Many types of malware can operate without you ever knowing you’re infected, and some can lead to identity theft and credit card fraud.
Signs your computer may be infected with malware include general computer problems (slow processing or frequent crashes), excessive pop-up messages and spam, or other unexplained changes to toolbars, search settings, or homepage settings.

Here are some tips to help you avoid malware:
Consider any attachments to email messages potentially unsafe. They can cause you to download spyware or a virus without your knowledge or any indication that it’s occurring. In general, never open unexpected attachments from anyone.
If possible, use one computer for banking and security-sensitive applications and a different computer for less sensitive activities such as email and social networking.

Keep your software updated and install manufacturer-provided patches. This is especially important for operating systems, Web browsers, and security software, but also applies to other programs.
Only download programs and files from legitimate sources. It’s not uncommon for malware to be embedded within an otherwise legitimate program or file when advertised for free through file sharing or other sources not endorsed by the original manufacturer.
Safeguard your online banking credentials, including user name and password, by keeping them private and secure.
Avoid using obvious passwords, like pet names, unless you make them unique by adding special characters or numbers to make them more obscure.
Create distinct sign-in credentials that are different than those used for social networking or other online accounts.
Take note of emails, phone calls, or texts requesting your account or sign in information and report them immediately.
After completing a transaction online, make sure you sign out when you’re finished, then close your browser completely.
When using public or shared computers (like in a library), be aware of your surroundings including people who could look at your computer screen.

Don’t select the “remember me” feature for your user name or password.
Don’t assume that available Wi-Fi connections are safe and secure. Cyber criminals create public Wi-Fis in public spaces so that they can view data, including usernames and passwords, and steal your information. In most places of business, an employee can tell you which is their secure connection.
Limit the sensitive information viewed during a public Wi-Fi session, as the data may be visible or intercepted by a third party intent on stealing your identity or sign-in information.
If in doubt, use your cellular network if available.

For more information, check out some Wi-Fi tips from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

Install and regularly update anti-virus and anti-spyware software. Perform frequent scans of your computer. We use Kaspersky, which is what our hospice uses to protect sensitive medical information. I don't care which one you use, just get a good one, and have them check your computer at least once a year.
Look for EV SSL encryption (green bar and https visual indicators) in web address bars.
Use the most recent version of your computer operating system and Internet browser as previous versions can have security weaknesses that put you at risk.
Be careful when you download free software from the Internet. A lot of free software may contain viruses or other malicious software that could steal your information.

Be careful not to over-share information on social networking sites—personal information could be used to access your accounts.
Set up alerts for account activity. Some alerts are generated automatically when you set up online account access, but you also have the ability to set up customized alerts. Alerts can be sent via email or text.

Choose paperless (online only) statements to reduce your risk of mail fraud and identity theft, and reduce the likelihood of your account information getting into the wrong hands.

If you aren't certain your mail is secure, get a P.O. Box, or a locking mailbox.
Store your credit and debit cards in a secure place where you’ll immediately know if they’re missing.
Sign the back of your credit and debit cards as soon as you receive them. Don't sign your own name. I sign mine "Minnie Mouse".
When you’re expecting a new or replacement credit or debit card, look for it in the mail.
Report a lost or stolen credit or debit card immediately.

Never carry your PIN in your wallet or write it on the back of your credit or debit card, and don't choose an obvious number (such as your birth date or telephone number) for your PIN.
Never let anyone put your account number on a check or any other document not associated with a purchase on your account. (In some states, this is against the law.)
Never give your account number or other personal information to someone calling you on the phone, especially if the caller says it will be used to claim a prize or award.
Review your financial statements and verify that transactions were authorized by you and report any unrecognized charges to your banking institution.
Keep documents with personal information—like credit card bills, statements, and offers for preapproved credit—in a safe place or shred them if you don’t need them.

Check your credit report regularly. You can order one free report per year from each credit bureau (that's three free credit reports per year) or from annualcreditreport.com. If information looks incorrect, request a correction.
Social Security numbers of minors are sometimes used to commit identity theft. Parents may want to request credit reports for their children on an annual basis.

The new "chip" banking cards can be scanned by a thief walking by, even in your purse. I give my new members a scan proof envelope for their cards.
My apologies for making this so long, but this is just some of what we need to remain aware of. Thanks for reading. If you have any questions, PM me, there is more.
I'm an Associate of ID Shield, the ONLY ID Protection service that can fully restore your identity, the others are copy-cats. PM me to ask about ID Shield today!
Be safe!

Last edited:
I'm an Associate of ID Shield, the ONLY ID Protection service that can fully restore your identity, the others are copy-cats.
Good advice, but how do we know an agent of SHIELD (snicker) didn't steal Nickie's account for this post?:p

Hi Nickie,
What a coincidence (unpleasant coincidence). Hopefully Nickie didn't get hacked and this is just spam. But I just got off the phone with my bank because I was recently a victim of idenity fraud. It really sucks having to grow through this and getting your money stolen and trying to fix other damages that were incurred. This is something that everyone needs to be vigilant about protecting yourself. This is been a huge pain in the ass and I had some financial losses.

The upside is that I began playing the uke again after years because I was so stressed out about this whole thing. It has really helped calm me and have more clarity in my life.

Last edited:
No Jim, it's really me.
deznuchs, thanks for your story. I'm very sorry this happened to you. I'm glad the uke makes it a little better.

ID Shield is the ONLY identity theft protection service that can and will totally fix identity theft. I think it's so important that I got it for my Mom, who is 88, and I pay her membership every month because I do NOT want this to happen to her.
Among all the tips I send people, getting ID Shield is the first and best one. I sleep really good at night now!

One other point about online banking, close down your computer after a transaction for at least 10 seconds, to allow the RAM to clear, as information can remain accessible in RAM.

It is also best to use a 'live' distro when doing anything financial online.
It can't be altered by malicious programs.

As per requested, paragraph spacings were placed. Sorry for the inconvenience!
And thanks for your input, we can ALL help each other!

This has already happened to me.
I gave my credit card to a waiter for lunch, and he brought back somebody else's. Not mine. So I "ran after him", and told him. He apologized and switched them.
Always look at your credit card when your server brings it back.

Also, if a clerk at a motel or hotel says he has to photocopy your driver's license, refuse. They don't need it, and they leave the copies lying around.

The new "chip" banking cards can be scanned by a thief walking by, even in your purse. I give my new members a scan proof envelope for their cards.

This is only true if your card is a "tap to pay" type that uses an RFID chip. The ones that have the little gold chip that looks kind of like a cell phone SIM card requires contact with the card reader and can't be read by a thief walking by. Some of the vulnerable tap-to-pay type cards have names such as Visa PayWave, MasterCard PayPass, American Express ExpressPay and Discover Zip.

Giant wall of text of tech jargon about computer scams removed by me because reading it the day after I posted, I felt it was hijackng the thread too much.

I will try and post somewhere else if there is interest.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips Nickie. As an Associate of ID Shield does that mean you have a financial interest in their business? I.e. if some of us sign up you'll make money or get a discount, etc?

Thanks for the tips Nickie. As an Associate of ID Shield does that mean you have a financial interest in their business? I.e. if some of us sign up you'll make money or get a discount, etc?

Yes, Pirate Jim, you're welcome! I do make money (a little) when someone sees the value and signs up. I am an Associate of Legal Shield (formerly Pre-paid Legal) as well. That's a different service, provided by the same company. As a member, I qualify for some pretty impressive discounts, and as an Associate, even more, and can make money by sharing it with folks.
I became an Associate because I can no longer (physically) work as an LPN, and am to old to go get a job flipping burgers. And I found out it's kinda fun, helping people, sorta like I did as a nurse.
Booli, I have no idea what you are talking about, I'm no techie, I'm lucky I can use an ukulele tuner.
I have no idea how the internet works, you're right about that. I depend on Kaspersky and follow the rules, and will always have IDShield.
I think not having it is like driving a car without automobile insurance, just sayin'.
And thanks everyone for all of your input and interest!

...Booli, I have no idea what you are talking about, I'm no techie, I'm lucky I can use an ukulele tuner. I have no idea how the internet works, you're right about that. I depend on Kaspersky and follow the rules, and will always have IDShield.
I think not having it is like driving a car without automobile insurance, just sayin'.
And thanks everyone for all of your input and interest!

Sorry Nickie. I have edited the post. I did not intend to hijack your thread.

It's ok now, I think. Please forgive me. :)

Nickie, I'm afraid I've had to move this one. I did clearly say that promo/business-related posts belong in Links & Videos.

Additional security tips (my opinion only):

1) Don't use MS Windows. It's just one big, bloated target. When I used Windows, despite diligent use of firewalls and anti-virus/malware measures I had security problems. Since moving to Linux many years ago I've not been hacked or infected once.

2) Don't use contactless/tap cards. I took mine back to the bank and made them swap it for an old-style chip/PIN card. I know people who've had contactless cards stolen and used. They've only lost modest amounts (about £30 each time for some reason) but why make it easy at all?

3) Set a good password on your computer AND your phone. Use a good password manager (protected by its own strong password) to help you manage passwords. Before I started using LastPass (no financial interest!) I was tempted to use the same p/w across multiple sites for convenience. My passwords were rarely very strong and I changed them infrequently - all due to laziness. With a p/w manager it is easy to maintain lots of strong, regularly changed passwords.

4) Keep up to date with current phishing and social hacking tendencies. They are usually easy enough to spot but every now and then a really sneaky one comes along. Many of the security service/anti-virus providers offer newsletters that keep you posted. Sign up.

5) Personally I almost always refuse to do online transactions unless I can use PayPal. I'm not a fan of PP as a corporation but putting card details into lots of sites is just too risky. The company I work for is VERY security conscious but a few years back a small config issue left us vulnerable to exploit and we got hacked. Some customer card details were stolen and we got a big fine. If a company as vigilant as my employer can be vulnerable then so can a load of others.

As I say, purely my opinion. Probably worth nothing, but this approach has kept me safe so far.

I'll add my tip: Don't answer any phone calls where you don't recognize the number on your caller ID. Most likely a scammer or telemarketer. If their message is important and legit, they would leave a voice message.

Nickie: I too am a member of Legal Shield (but not an Associate as yourself). Great service! I've had to use it when my identity was stolen last year, and haven't had any repeat occurrences since.

Rick, thanks for your tips! Booli, no need to freak out, I'm just behind the times, I guess! And posting things to help us keep safe isn't really hijacking the thread.

lfoo6952, thanks for your tip on scams, that's how I do it, too. And Congrats on being a Legal Shield member!

Rick -

That was a great post and will be very useful to everyone that reads it.

I agree completely with your advice given above. All of your suggestions are things that I have recommended myself when helping others to protect themselves. I am also running Linux. :)

...Booli, no need to freak out...

No worries Nickie. There was no freak out at all. I was concerned about it being a distraction as written.

I will reformulate what I had written and make it easier to read for those that are not up to the eyeballs in tech every day like me.

With your permission, I can re-post something later on...please let me know. :)

Booli,
Please feel free. This is a public forum about Identity Protection and Restoration.

Top Bottom