waxing my uke?

valde002

Reaction score
I have some nice Koa ukes that I would love to just wax and cherish. Should I wax them? What kind if so? I love the smooth glossy feel of the finish and want to feel like I am taking care of them.

There are several commercial instrument waxes available. D'Addario makes a good one. I personally use Meguire's 100% carnauba wax, available at most auto parts store. You'll want to stay away from anything with silicone in it for the reasons that future repairs that may be needed to the finish will be next to impossiblele.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Is the wax that you use a solid or liquid. I want to minimize the rubbing on the finish. I use a chamois cloth after using it, is that good?

Last edited:
All my banjo ukes are finished with shellac (many coats) and then hand rubbed with beeswax. I never use lacquer.

okay, so do the caranuba waxes without silicone say they are without silicone, how does one know? I read some posts that say that they all have silicone to some degree... Does the beeswax have silicone?

okay, so do the caranuba waxes without silicone say they are without silicone, how does one know? I read some posts that say that they all have silicone to some degree... Does the beeswax have silicone?

The beeswax that I use in NZ is solvent and silicone free, just natural beeswax with some Manuka oil and honey added.

Top Bottom