strum scratches

valde002

Reaction score
I have been playing for about 1 year and I have noticed that there are strum scratches on the body of the uke, near the neck. Especially if I am playing higher up at the neck I strum closer to the body. Am sure this is common, but highly annoying, especially with my nicer $1K+ koa ukes.

Am I doing something wrong, like strumming in the wrong place, or too hard, to loosely? I kind of don't want to play the nicer ones much because I'm afraid they will just keep getting worse.

Any way to buff the scratches out, or fix it?

If you have nails on your strumming/picking hand, and do not play like a timid mouse, I think scratches are eventually going to be seen, unless you strum perfectly parallel to the plane of the strings.

On a couple of my ukes where I noticed this starting to happen, I came up with a cheap solution.

I have purchase a handful of cheap iPad screen protectors for like $2 each when on sale (look for the ones for the older iPads) and cut to size and installed as a pickguard/scratch-guard.

It ends up looking/working similar to those sold for flamenco guitar, which are like a ridiculous $20 each for the same thing.

They stick on easy, and if removed the adhesive leaves no residue on my ukes (I replaced one after a yr, just to see) but I dunno if long-term it's going interact with the finish, but the one I pulled off left no evidence that it was installed, and worked well to prevent scratches.

You can find the iPad screen protectors on sale frequently on 'Other World Computing' http://macsales.com, and also on Amazon and eBay.

DISCLAIMER: While it works for me and has not damaged MY ukes so far, proceed with caution and research what your uke's finish is, and how inert it is. I am not responsible if the adhesive damages your uke, and I am sharing this info for 'educational purposes only'. LOL.

They don't bother me in the least. They come from playing it.

Shows that you play them. ukes are meant to be played, not be kept as museum pieces. Mine are battered.

This one has been played a bit. It is owned by a friend of mine who has a stall at the farmer's market in Old Sam Juan, PR.

IMAG0397.jpg

My Kala is real beat up, I don't care, but it's not a Kamaka or Martin. My Cocobolo, which has a satin finish, barely shows the scratches unless I turn it just right in the light. I have one uke that is glossy, and I don't want anymore that are. Gloss shows everything.
I guess it boils down to how much it's worth to you. If I paid $1000 for a uke, I'd probably beat the heck out of it too.
I've always noticed how fiddlers have rosin all over the darn thing, probably some food and beer too, but concert violinists won't let anything show on their instruments.
Maybe it's because of how much they paid for them.

Top Bottom