F/S: Hoffman ML Custom Koa/Cedar Tenor Ukulele

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezcalero

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As recently noted, I am letting go of some nice instruments in an effort to get down to a collection that I can realistically play with regularity. I bought this Custom Hoffman new (a rarity for me as I generally have had good success buying used) from HMS. The setup is perfect, and I am very picky about playability and intonation up the neck. Here is a link to HMS for this exact instrument:
https://www.theukulelesite.com/hoffmann-ml-style-custom-cedar-top-koa-tenor-hmlt2027.html

I also have a used Boat Paddle that I originally bought here on the UU Forum for $Sold. Due to shipping in Winter, it arrived with so much checking, I decided to send it to Jerry Hoffman and he did a complete overhaul on it. He replaced the top, used his newer bracing system, converted the neck to bolt on, and refinished the entire instrument. It is now similar structurally to one of his new Hoffman ML's with low level trim/bling, and original Boat Paddle headstock. Here is Jerry's last email comment to me before sending it back:

Jerry Hoffmann <jerry@hoffmannlutherie.com>
Mar 16

Hi Kevin,

Your ukulele is done and I’d say it’s better than new. Total amount for new top, refinish and rosette is $Sold and I’ll send a PayPal invoice for that amount. (I also converted the neck to bolt-on which is better than the original glue-on). If this all looks good to you I can ship on Monday.

It was a pleasure to upgrade an older uke that I made—thanks for the opportunity!

Jerry

So my goal is to sell one of these, whichever one sells first, I will keep the other and close the thread.

I honestly doubt anyone could tell the difference sound/tone wise in a blind test. The main difference comes down to high bling level vs. low bling level. The features I personally love the most about Jerry's ML design are the body shape which allows comfortable access to the higher frets, and the proprietary nut he designed. This unique nut allows you to use practically any combination of strings without having to worry about the nut slots. I have had these instruments strung in standard high and low G, DGBE, dGBE and 5th's - CGDA. It is the most flexible design for experimenting with these different tunings that I have seen. Also, the larger body surface really allows these instruments to resonate well in the lower frequencies making CGDA and GDBE sound better than smaller tenor body would.

I am asking $2000.00 (net) for the Hoffman Custom and $Sold shipped for the Boat Paddle.

Please PM me with any questions or requests for more photos/info.

Thanks for looking,
kevin

IMG_1148.jpg

Last edited:
Nice opportunity to own a Hoffman at a great deal. If I could justify another uke at the moment I would jump on one of these.

Kevin, Nice looking and sounding ukulele. Nice playing too. Good luck with the sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom