My first impressions of the uke

S11LKO

Reaction score
http://soundcloud.com/s11lko/1st-impressions-uke-m4a
I joined UU a few weeks ago and, to be honest, I haven't had a chance to post much on here, or indeed play any music since then due to personal family problems. I've been playing guitar on and off since I was 14 (I'm 60 now) and my wife bought me a banjolele for my 60th birthday. To be honest, I wasn't sure what to make of it at first, and after an hour or so playing and looking up technique on various web-sites, I was less than complimentary about the instrument. I've since learned to love it as much as I love my guitars, and I hope to keep practicing until I'm worthy of it. Looking through some old audio files today, I came across the first ever thing I did with the uke, and a 'report' (lol) on it I sent to a couple of buddies I play the guitar with. It's poor, but I post it here for the info of any fellow newbies who may be struggling. Keep playing. I wasn't keen at first but now fully appreciate what a lovely little instrument the uke is. I hope to post more when I improve.
https://soundcloud.com/s11lko/1st-impressions-uke-m4a

That's great. Love the song and it's fun hearing you play it.

That was nice! I wish I could play, or sing, as well as you.

Gee thanks maki66. Really kind of you considering how new I am at this. Wasn't expecting that at all. X

That was also the first song I tried to learn on the uke after playing guitar since 1960. When my friend Ted heard that I'd gotten a uke, he gave me a Ukulele Ike songbook that his dad had owned and that was the song I chose to learn. It didn't have the verse which you sang. I'll have to learn it.
Nice job!

Thanks Jim & Ifoo6952. Your comments appreciated. I'm actually a big fan of Joe Brown. I saw him in his one man (well, actually he had a buddy with him) show a while ago, and enjoyed it so much I've booked again to see him in Milton Keynes (UK) in September. The man plays so many instruments he's amazing - and whether he's playing solo, or indeed when he's playing with his "Bruvvers", he ALWAYS finishes the evening by playing that song. X

Last edited:
You lucky dog. I wish I could see him in concert but I don't think he comes across the pond. Your response made me check out his website, and check out one of his recent CD's. In his version of "Lay Down Sally", he sounds a lot like Eric Clapton, another person I'd like to see but his tickets are hard to get.

Joe Brown is great. I first found out about him when I watched the Concert for George (George Harrison). Joe Brown played that very song on his ukulele. And that sparked my interest in the ukulele. His daughter Sam Brown has a big ukulele following in the UK. She has several uke groups. She started playing and teaching the uke after she lost that incredible voice of hers.

His daughter, Sam, had a big hit here in the UK a few years ago called 'STOP'. The song and her vocals on it were brilliant in my humble view. I love all people I come across who can play and perhaps sing, and I love watching/listening to you all on here. I attend many open mic nights and HAVE 'performed' at some of them - mostly with my guitar and my trying to sing - but my main interest is in just watching the performers. I don't care how good or bad they may be, I just love watching the buzz they get from being up on stage and having their five minutes in front of an audience. To me, music is all about the fun we get from it and, when we're lucky enough to come across someone like Joe Brown, I find it absolutely inspirational and it pushes me to practice and try to improve. Sadly, nature didn't give me a great voice or playing skills, but the fun I have trying to get better takes me away from the pressures and worries of the real world around us and affords me great pleasure. X

Has anyone else on here performed and posted this same song?

Top Bottom