F/S: Pete Howlett koa ditson concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

WCBarnes

Reaction score
I ordered this ukulele straight from Mr. Howlett and received it in spring 2016. It is an all koa Ditson style ukulele. The sound and sustain on this one are excellent! The only reason I am selling is that it doesn’t get played much. I really cannot tell you why because I love playing it when I pick it up. I just don’t pick it up that frequently. The uke has a satin finish and the only sign of playwear are the shiny spots on the face where I rest my fingers. I tried to capture it in the photos, but they don’t show up very well.

You will see a hole in the bottom of the instrument in the photos. It arrived to my house without the end pin. Mr. Howlett apologized and sent a pin at a later date (One picture shows the end pin next to the bridge). I never installed it because I was thinking I would install a pick up instead and figured it would be easier left as is until the pickup was installed. If you buy this uke and want the pin installed, I can take it to my local luthier and have him put it in before I ship, or I can leave it as is and ship the end pin with the uke. Your choice.

While Mr. Howlett is still taking orders and building, he is no longer taking any orders for concert ukuleles, only tenors. So if you are wanting a concert Howlett they are going to become more difficult to find.

I would like to get Withdrawn I'm going to hold onto this for a bitshipped CONUS. It comes with the hard case shown in the photos.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jgY5LXOtW7Dy0mVw1

https://soundcloud.com/user608883919/howlett-ditson-concert

P.S. I took these photos a couple weeks ago but didn't have a chance to list the ukulele until today. I have restrung this ukulele with Oasis warms and it is now high G, which suits it better.

Last edited:
It must be Christmas August with all these fantastic ukuleles posted in the UU marketplace. Is there a sound sample?

I got a chance to meet Pete Howlett when I attended the Ukulele Fest of Great Britain in June. He had a few of his Ukes there and it was my first chance to play one. They were really nice, but I didn't want to make that kind of investment while on the trip.

I also got to listen to Pete and Phil Doleman put together a little impromptu play along at Pete's booth. That was exciting.

Best on the sale, Colin.

Last edited:
Not a buyer, but I will say a Pete Howlett ukulele for 1k is insane. One of my goals in life is to own one, I think he and his instruments are unique and amazing!

Piecomics, It is truly an amazing uke! The sound and sustain are wonderful!

Bump! While there are a lot of nice ukes in the Marketplace right now, not many concerts! Where are all my concert playing brothers & sisters?

I never like to see my instruments resold but it is a fact of life and happens infrequently. I hope you are not disappointed with the instrument... And yes, I have no plans to make any concerts in the near future.

I have a little Howlett soprano that is amazing.
Ukester Brown spotted it at the Silver Creek Ukulele fest and offered to buy it on the spot.
Wish I could afford this concert...

I never like to see my instruments resold but it is a fact of life and happens infrequently. I hope you are not disappointed with the instrument... And yes, I have no plans to make any concerts in the near future.

Not disappointed at all! This is an excellent instrument. The build quality is top notch and the sound and sustain are amazing. It was not an easy choice to list this one, but unfortunately, I need to reduce the number of instruments I own. I am a follower of your Facebook group and love the live videos and all you are doing. It is very cool to see.

Ukester Brown spotted it at the Silver Creek Ukulele fest and offered to buy it on the spot.

There are not many Howlett sopranos floating around either Tracie. If it is anything like my concert I completely understand why Ukster Brown wanted to buy it!

I thought I saw Mr Howlett mention that all his instruments are gloss. Was this a custom request on the finish?
(My older sop is also satin, but I think he must worked for a Hawaiian company 20 years ago...)

Last edited:
No special request on the finish. I did request the Gotoh UPT tuners (vs traditional geared tuners), but that was all.

Amy

Your finish on that boat paddle is matte cellulose. I haven't used oil in years.

I found this in a recent thread about the finish on his boat paddle ukuleles. I am assuming mine has the same matte cellulose finish.

I feel proud and incredibly privileged to own and adore a Pete Howlett soprano, not in any small part because I know that dear Pete will unlikely make any more of the 'proper' size of ukulele!

Whilst I have only ever owned four ukes, I truly cannot imagine ever coming across a more extraordinary instrument. The whole thing is just so incredibly beautifully made yet, down to my own preference and complete support from Pete, entirely devoid of bling. It's so well weighted that as you play it, it moves so effortlessly. The voice projection from something so tiny (cherry body, alder neck, bog oak fingerboard) is amazing, and still so clean. Whilst in no way passing judgment on what other owners might do, I know I could, and will, never sell it.

If I ever 'need' another ukulele, it will undoubtedly be a soprano, and even though I have no intention of getting a new one, I already fret about what I would get, such is the almost unreachable bar set by my Howlett.

'Big' names will often dominate the thoughts of those looking for a 'top-end' ukulele. If anyone out there wants to own a superb instrument that was built for one thing - to be played, then don't miss out on the, sadly, ever more rare species that is the Howlett ukulele. Truly a master.

Ben

Please someone buy this! Arrrgh!
Crazy good price for a crazy awesome instrument.

Last edited:
PM sent with more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom