Help! Just bought a Uke

ukenoob7

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Newbie to the Uke world here! Just ordered one online and the sound's fine as far as I can tell but I am a guitarist so perhaps my ear is not the greatest for the uke. Anyway my uke appears to have a minor bump in the soundhole (picture below) and when I wiped it after first use the cloth had a little brown on it (also pictured below); not sure if that's skin oil and normal or if it's a bad quality Uke. I was wondering if these were defects and if they were significant. Please help :)

Attachments

• 20170817_055307.jpg
    20170817_055307.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 20170817_055313.jpg
    20170817_055313.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 20170817_055501.jpg
    20170817_055501.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 59
Welcome to UU. I played guitar for almost 50 years before I took up the uke. A uke strum will degrade quicker than a guitar, some will sustain longer and project better than others, but if it sounds good, it sounds good. At first glance it I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Where did you buy it? How much was it? Don't recognize the manufacturer, does it have a 'Made In' label? Nice that they provide a cleaning cloth.

Stain was my thought too. Probably filling in and accentuating the stamping around the sound hole. Looks fine to me. If it plays well and sounds nice, just enjoy.

Welcome to UU. I played guitar for almost 50 years before I took up the uke. A uke strum will degrade quicker than a guitar, some will sustain longer and project better than others, but if it sounds good, it sounds good. At first glance it I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Where did you buy it? How much was it? Don't recognize the manufacturer, does it have a 'Made In' label? Nice that they provide a cleaning cloth.

Thank you! I got it off amazon, actually. But I returned it as I am looking to purchase a tenor instead of the soprano. From what I could tell though (after playing it 3 times) it could hold its' tune -- I wasn't sure about the intonation though. Came with Aquila strings, which as far as I understand are the top string manufacturers.

Top Bottom