Any tips? all thumbs with chord transitions while fingerpicking

cyber3d

Reaction score
I practice slowly, moderately, not fast at all. I've been trying to become proficient for a while now and just get all tangled up trying to make those transitions. It's like my right hand has a brain all it's own.

I run through a fingerpicking pattern 1-3-2-4 over and over again until it flows without a thought to it. Then I'll stop and begin with the same pattern on Cmaj and as soon as I transition to, say, a Gmaj. my right hand fingers go all kittywampus. Arrrgh.

Any tips to get better at it?

I think we just need practice slowly.. i'm going thru the same problem now. And I've found this practice schedule might help http://ukulelego.com/tips/20-minute-beginners-practice-schedule/ (credit to ukulelego.com for great advices). He has tips for fingerpicking also. And I'm practicing with reallllllly slowwww counting..it might take more time but certainly my hands will memorize better :p

Been trying for years myself, (particular problem keeping time), and think I am getting no where, until I play a piece I haven't looked at for years and I find that I can do it now, so there must be an improvement.
Don't beat yourself up about it. Enjoy your playing and soon you will discover that you can do things that you couldn't do a few months ago.

A friend of mine told me, he just stuck with 3 chords for
a while, until he could play with 'clean' changes. There
are of course, many three chord songs (and many more
that can be busked in three chords!)
Having mastered the three chords (C,F & G7) he began
to practice by adding one more chord at a time.
He has been playing about two years now,and is (IMO)
quite a nifty little player! Enjoy it,and stick at it, you will
get where you want to be!

A friend of mine told me, he just stuck with 3 chords for
a while, until he could play with 'clean' changes. There
are of course, many three chord songs (and many more
that can be busked in three chords!)
Having mastered the three chords (C,F & G7) he began
to practice by adding one more chord at a time.
He has been playing about two years now,and is (IMO)
quite a nifty little player! Enjoy it,and stick at it, you will
get where you want to be!

Yeah, for now, i'm sticking with 4 "classical" chords C, G,Am,F for majority of times, then adding one new chord at a time... i think don't pressure yourself too much as ukulele's supposed to bring joy, not pressure ^_^ as long as you keep practicing, you'll improve

Been trying for years myself, (particular problem keeping time), and think I am getting no where, until I play a piece I haven't looked at for years and I find that I can do it now, so there must be an improvement.
Don't beat yourself up about it. Enjoy your playing and soon you will discover that you can do things that you couldn't do a few months ago.

This.......and what Bill1 said, it takes time and practice and patience. When I heard a very accomplished professional musician say he practiced a piece everyday for one year to get it up to performance standard I then realized this "ain't as easy as it looks"

Top Bottom