Banjoleles--most banjo sounding

captain-janeway

Reaction score
I love to do fingerpicking and love bluegrass. If I had bigger hands I'd play banjo. Even a tenor uke is stretching it for me.

What have people played that sounds more banjo-like?

If you're going more for a traditional banjo tone than a banjo-uke tone, consider the Deering banjo-uke. The larger head gives it a more "banjo" sound.

:agree:..................

The Deering is definitely the most banjo-sounding, because it is a banjo with a slightly shorter neck, I had the Deering banjo-uke and a Deering 17-fret tenor banjo at the same time. The two weighed almost the same. I noticed no difference in the 11-inch heads between the two and interchanged n EZ-Resonator between them. I loved the sound, but hated the weight.

The Duke 10 has my overall vote right now. At tenor-uke scale, a 10-inch head and about half the weight of the Deering, it keeps the nylon-string banjo-uke concept and sounds sharp.

Also, the Lanikai LBS-S soprano banjo-uke has been a pleasant surprise. I bought one when they were sold for a ridiculously low price a while back and it turned out to be pretty good once it got set up right.

Last edited:
Thanks. Definitely want a more banjo sound. Heard a Lanikai just through a YouTube that sounded good, but they never sound the same in person. It seems to be hard to find them in stores to try out. You'd try the Deering over the Lanikai? It looks like they cost about the same.

Thanks. I'll check weight on a Deering. the tenor scale is a really reach for me. Not kidding--REALLY little hands. I have a Kala Cedar top Tenor and a Mahogany Mainland concert. the more I'm getting my hands to stretch, the more I like that tenor.
I didn't know they had tenor banjoleles. is the tone a lot different like going from a concert to a tenor uke? I like the tenor uke because it sounds deeper.

Just checked pricing. Have anything you'd recommend at maybe $250-$300 range?

No matter which b-u one gets, nylon strings don't have the same sound as steel strings, so there is a compromise from the beginning.

Drum size makes a big difference in sound. The Duke series (had all three) started with an 8-inch on the first two and a 10-inch on the latest. The difference between the 8 and 10 was dramatic. The Lanikai soprano has a 5-inch head. Deering has now added a 12-inch drum for its b-u - haven't played one, but the weight will be interesting. Whe the drum gets too big, it can be awkward (for me, anyway) to hold correctly.

Costs vary, especially on the used market.

Either way, would recommend learning about banjo type instruments before buying, as their "care snd feeding" are different than ukes. Deering does have great videos and such on their website on how to tune drum heads and other such stuff

Thanks. I'll keep hunting to see if I can find another shop with better inventory. Didn't think about drum size. that must be why the deering body looks like it's so gigantic vs. the neck. I'm a really small person, so sizing will be interesting.

I saw some about the "care and feeding" but will research more. Can you put steel strings on a banjo uke or will that put too much tension on neck? I noticed you have a banjo in your list as well as banjo ukes.

Never put steel strings on an instrument designed for nylon strings. The extra tension that steel requires can snap the tuner or the tailpiece (or brdge on a uke), causing that steel string to whip at an unbelievable speed. That steel string can slice skin pretty deep and do serious dsmage to the player and anyone standing close. The old "you can lose an eye" (or much worse) adage is a true one.

Conversely, putting nylon strings on a steel-desighed instrument usually results in disappointment with the sound. Nylon strings don't have the drive to vibrate through the extra bracing and wood diameters in a steel-designed instrument. There are exceptions, but not many.

The old "you can lose an eye" (or much worse) adage is a true one.

I met a guy in Nashville who had actually lost an eye from a guitar string that let go while he was re-stringing it. I don't look at my uke when I'm tightening new strings. I had a violin tailpiece let go once, it popped me in the chin real good and I saw stars. Left a mark that looked like I'd been in a fight.

Captain, I have the Duke 8", I'd avoid it, it's very plinky, but loud. I think the 10" is a much better sounding banjouke, and would cost less than a Deering. The Deering is too hard for me to hold.

Last edited:
Do not forget the used market. Many good quality banjo ukes dating back 80 or 90 years are to be had on ebay. In my very humble opinion an old well looked after banjo uke , for example a "Maybell" will knock the socks of an Asian import.

Do not forget the used market. Many good quality banjo ukes dating back 80 or 90 years are to be had on ebay. In my very humble opinion an old well looked after banjo uke , for example a "Maybell" will knock the socks of an Asian import.
What do folks think of Dixie Land Banjoleles?

What do folks think of Dixie Land Banjoleles?

Different makes/models/sizes appeal to different folk, and it's all good. The key is tuning the drum correctly, having a decent bridge (including one of the correct height); setting the action to one's comfort level and having nylon strings that are tough enough to drive the drum. Most instruments will respond fairly well if time is taken to adjust them right.

Bazmaz has reviewed the Deering and the Duke 10 so check those out. He was a fan of both from memory.

Had a Deering banjo uke concert. It looked kind of funny but sounded great. It was definitely heavy though/ a little awkward to hold. I've had a Waverly Street concert uke - handmade in the USA - they're good value:
http://www.wsukes.com/

I have an old Maybell by Slingerland and it is lovely. As I travel to far off lands this has been a mainstay as it fits my carry on and is a strong little instrument. Just from its construction it is much more robust than a regular ukulele. As I play banjo as well one of my friends once remarked loudly - "Banjo had a baby!" It is currently on loan to a young person with small fingers who has wanted to start playing. I should add that I modified it by adding Gotoh UPT tuners and it is strung with Aquila reds which gives it great projection.

My other banjo ukulele instrument is a 1924 Gibson tenor jr. It is a small tenor size instrument and I removed the steel strings and put on a set of Aquila reds from a 5 string. I have it tuned as a baritone ukulele with the fifth string used as a re-entrant fourth - so it ends up dGBE. I am looking at some of the baritone strings out there so it can be tuned gCEA but I have yet to research string lengths to find a set that will work. Again this instruments works well with small hands.

My point - as a follow up to the quote above is that old instruments are often great and have a character that I do not find in new ones. To enjoy one you may have to do develop some home grown luthier skills. I delight in taking old and often abandoned instruments and making them sing again.

Last edited:
I have an old Maybell by Slingerland and it is lovely. As I travel to far off lands this has been a mainstay as it fits my carry on and is a strong little instrument. Just from its construction it is much more robust than a regular ukulele. As I play banjo as well one of my friends once remarked loudly - "Banjo had a baby!" It is currently on loan to a young person with small fingers who has wanted to start playing. I should add that I modified it by adding Gotoh UPT tuners and it is strung with Aquila reds which gives it great projection.

My other banjo ukulele instrument is a 1924 Gibson tenor jr. It is a small tenor size instrument and I removed the steel strings and put on a set of Aquila reds from a 5 string. I have it tuned as a baritone ukulele with the fifth string used as a re-entrant fourth - so it ends up dGBE. I am looking at some of the baritone strings out there so it can be tuned gCEA but I have yet to research string lengths to find a set that will work. Again this instruments works well with small hands.

My point - as a follow up to the quote above is that old instruments are often great and have a character that I do not find in new ones. To enjoy one you may have to do develop some home grown luthier skills. I delight in taking old and often abandoned instruments and making them sing again.

Amen to that.

Top Bottom