Banjoleles--most banjo sounding

If you are wanting a real "banjo" sound then you need an instrument with a tone ring. A nice Dallas C or D , a Ludwig Gibson UB3 or similar will cost big money. They are still available, check out Andy Eastwood's site for example. You will not get the twang and percussive sound from a modern uke banjo as they are lightweight.
Some of the tubbiness and boom can be cut back by stuffing the head but nothing compares to "the real thing" especially if you are a Formby fan.

I have an old Maybell by Slingerland and it is lovely. As I travel to far off lands this has been a mainstay as it fits my carry on and is a strong little instrument. Just from its construction it is much more robust than a regular ukulele. As I play banjo as well one of my friends once remarked loudly - "Banjo had a baby!" It is currently on loan to a young person with small fingers who has wanted to start playing. I should add that I modified it by adding Gotoh UPT tuners and it is strung with Aquila reds which gives it great projection.

My other banjo ukulele instrument is a 1924 Gibson tenor jr. It is a small tenor size instrument and I removed the steel strings and put on a set of Aquila reds from a 5 string. I have it tuned as a baritone ukulele with the fifth string used as a re-entrant fourth - so it ends up dGBE. I am looking at some of the baritone strings out there so it can be tuned gCEA but I have yet to research string lengths to find a set that will work. Again this instruments works well with small hands.

My point - as a follow up to the quote above is that old instruments are often great and have a character that I do not find in new ones. To enjoy one you may have to do develop some home grown luthier skills. I delight in taking old and often abandoned instruments and making them sing again.

Thanks for mentioning small hands. Mine are really tiny (under 6" from wrist to tip of middle finger), so I'm having a really hard time even playing a basic uke. Trying to play a Bm is torture for me. I can't just barre 3 strings because to the second joint my finger is pulling off the fretboard on the barre. I'm ending up trying to lay my entire finger across to cover all the way across to barre then stretching for the final fret with my pinky. I want to play tenor, but I'm having problems with concert. I like the sound of the Duke 10 from online, but they only come in tenor.
I'll hunt around and try to find one of the ones you mentioned. I'm a really beginner player, but if my hands were big enough I would have just bought a banjo. I love bluegrass picking.

Top Bottom