Season 288 - Awesome Mix Volume Uke

I hope this counts as a road trip song. Back in the 80s, when I was driving from my dad's house to the school where I was going to college at the time, and then from there to my job at night, and then back to my dad's house to get a little sleep, I listened to this album a lot. I had recorded it onto a cassette from the record, so the whole album was on one side of the tape. The other side of that tape was REM's "Life's Rich Pageant," which I also listened to quite a lot back then. This was one of my favorite songs from the Iggy Pop album "Blah-Blah-Blah."

I didn't really know the Glen Campbell version of this, but it is on a CD I bought back in the 90s called Rhythm, Country and Blues, and Allen Toussaint and Chet Atkins did it...

I always end up taking part in my own seasons, and any excuse to play David Bowie.

Here's a bedhead special. Ends kind of abruptly because I wanted to trim off the awful solo I put on the end.

Just now noodled up paoriginoodle I call Roadsong for sotu 288 ...

I no longer have the little icons above the posts that allow you to add a video etc when replying in Safari. Now have to use Firefox to add vids.
It could be that I have an old version of Safari that is no longer supported on this old Mac. But it has just started to be that way....

I originally wanted to do this as a duet, but my dad is completely tone deaf (seriously, you have no idea) and I don't have any kids yet. Anyway, if Cat Stevens can sing both parts, then so can I.

This has been abbreviated, due to the lack of an orchestra and choir.

The way "I'm Not in Love" was originally recorded by 10cc was so insane and different from normal recording methods that there are entire "Making of" videos about it.

Thanks for sharing that! I'm a big 10cc fan, and I'd never heard about any of this. Very cool stuff.

Season 288. Submission 1. "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" (written by Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, 1968. Notably performed by Mama Cass)

Thank you for hosting, Ryan. Well, this is a song that I used to sing at the top of my lungs with the windows down back in the day, though I imagine you can't imagine that from the way it turned out here. But still .... I hope you'll see its great potential as a Road Song when in the right hands.

This one is for Seamus.

After watching Rob's terrific bells but no whistles cover I remembered I had covered this one too.
Don't believe i have a better version in me than the one I did back then so ....

Any road song compilation CD must include this Canned Heat song imho.

Hi Ryan! I am afraid I live in a "Groot Free Zone", so I hope that this song will qualify under "the songs that often accompany you on a road trip" category. I have actually had the tape (yes, TAPE!) of Linda Ronstadt's "Greatest Hits" in various cars for about thirty years now. It is well past its sell-by date and shrieks and squeaks and occasionally stops altogether (sort of like this cover!): I keep meaning to replace it with a CD but haven't quite got round to it. Sorry about the gust of wind at the beginning ... I would have re-recorded, but I didn't have time.

Last edited:
I have a mad plan for this. Might take me most of the week to put it together.

I have a mad plan for this. Might take me most of the week to put it together.

I don't care what it is or if it's late. Do it.

Also, I've now caught up for today's videos, really sorry I haven't been attentive today, been a lot busier than i thought it would be. I'm back at work tomorrow but I'll be constantly checking and adding videos to the playlists as they come in, even if I have to delay actually watching them.

The bonus playlist is growing nicely now, thanks for everyone who's been giving songs to that, especially the nostalgic explanations as to why you've chosen that song! It's what it's all about for me.

This is from another album (Declaration) that I had recorded to a cassette (this time, from a friend's CD) and listened to a lot while doing all that driving back and forth in the 80s. I like the way the keyboard "bagpipe" turned out, but I just couldn't figure out any way to make those backing vocals sound right.

If I was making my own Awesome Mix, this song would be on it.

Last edited:
Better than the original

I didn't think I had a chance of doing an accurate cover of this, so I tried doing something different.

This is my favorite Fleetwood Mac. I used to write stories about Mars while listening to it.

Your rendition conveys the message of the song better than the original and is very pleasing to the ear.

Top Bottom