Season 288 - Awesome Mix Volume Uke

RAB11

Reaction score

Welcome Seasonistas to my season, in which we will be paying tribute to one of my favourite film series!

guardians_of_the_galaxy_logo_2_by_clarkarts24-da10n9c.jpg

My wife and I have a relationship which in part based on two things.

Comic book films and cheesy music.

In 2014 these things combined in the film Guardians of the Galaxy. We went to see it because we were already invested in the Marvel cinematic universe, but we weren't really sure how good a film that featured a talking Raccoon and a sentient tree could be. Turns out it can be very good, and the amazing soundtrack went a long way towards it. A couple months later I was in HMV and the CD soundtrack was on special, so I bought it. It instantly became our road-trip music of choice, and when mini-RAB was born Hooked on a Feeling quickly became his favourite song.

Earlier this year the sequel came out which had just as good a marriage between its plot, scenes, and soundtrack. So I bought the CD the day I saw the film.

So what I want from you fine people is simple. Play a song from Awesome Mix Vol. 1 or Vol. 2 (this is the name given to the soundtrack, after the mix tapes the main character listens to in the film).

The songs are as follows:

Awesome Mix Vol. 1

Hooked on a Feeling - Blue Swede
Go All the Way - Raspberries
Spirit in the Sky - Norman Greenbaum
Moonage Daydream - David Bowie
Fooled Around and Fell in Love - Elvin Bishop
I'm Not in Love - 10cc
I Want You Back - The Jackson 5
Come and Get Your Love - Redbone
Cherry Bomb - The Runaways (BEV you are doing this, no arguments)
Escape (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
O-o-h Child - Five Stairsteps
Ain't No Mountain High Enough - Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell

Awesome Mix Vol. 2

Mr. Blue Sky - Electric Light Orchestra
Fox on the Run - Sweet
Lake Shore Drive - Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah (possibly the first drug song ever to make it into a Disney film)
The Chain - Fleetwood Mac
Bring It On Home to Me - Sam Cooke
Southern Nights - Glen Campbell
My Sweet Lord - George Harrison
Brandy (You're a Fine Girl) - Looking Glass
Come a Little Bit Closer - Jay and the Americans
Wham Bam Shang-A-Lang - Silver (Rex I'd love you to try this)
Surrender - Cheap Trick
Father and Son - Cat Stevens (so many feels)
Flash Light - Parliament (instawin to whoever can pull this one off)
Guardians Inferno - The Sneepers featuring David Hasselhoff (I implore you to watch the video for this)

Play me any of these songs, I will watch them and draw up a shortlist for my wife and I to pick three winners from. These winners will receive a crocheted Baby Groot, handmade from Mrs RAB herself. These can hang from your car mirror, they also fit very snugly into a Snark tuner.

0rfRrBf.jpg

I think there's a decent varied list in there but in case you can't find anything to play from them you can do two things for me:

A) Write me the cheesiest song you can with a Sci-fi/Comic book theme.
B) Play me songs about Road Trips or songs that often accompany you on a road trip.

You have to play an Awesome Mix song to be in the running for a Groot though.

And remember.

We. Are. Groot

Bonus Playlist

Last edited:
My dad played stickball with Norman Greenbaum. I think I know what I should cover.

What a coincidence, I just watched the Guardians Inferno music video last night for the first time. You can't beat the Hoff!
I am sorry to admit that while I have seen the first one a couple of times, I have only watched the second movie once. Have to watch it again soon!
What is the song limit?

Last edited:
What a coincidence, I just watched the Guardians Inferno music video last night for the first time. You can't beat the Hoff!
I am sorry to admit that while I have seen the first one a couple of times, I have only watched the second movie once. Have to watch it again soon!
What is the song limit?

There is no song limit!

A very specific season Ryan. Watching the comparison vids will be fun!

A very specific season Ryan. Watching the comparison vids will be fun!

Yeah looking forward to seeing the different interpretations but I'm aware it's a bit niche as well. That's what the bonus categories are for!

Great choice, Ryan! Some fine songs there.

Ok...the Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell is it cheesy (!) but this is gonna be fun!!!! Baby groot is so cool!
Anyway- still get shivers watching these guys play
Surrender is a drug song as well in part

Ok...the Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell is it cheesy (!) but this is gonna be fun!!!! Baby groot is so cool!
Anyway- still get shivers watching these guys play [vieo=youtube_share;cnQn1d3VslY]https://youtu.be/cnQn1d3VslY[/video]
Surrender is a drug song as well in part

Hey now, cheesy doesn't necessarily mean bad. You are right though, some of those songs don't quite fit that bracket.

Meanwhile..... holy s** those guys are great!

There could not be a better way to start things off Rob. Thanks for that.

I have also made a bonus playlist for the geeky originals and Road trip songs. OP amended.

Last edited:
Top Bottom