Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leeward Lounge Ukes, back to the drawing board

Default Leeward Lounge Ukes, back to the drawing board

So, after a long hiatus, I'm jumping with both feet back into uke building once again. Up to this point, my ukes have been loosely based on the Hana Lima Ia plans. But this time around I want to do something more unique and special, at least compared to what I've done so far. So I am literally going back to the drawing board to create my own set of plans. I want to create a proprietary Leeward Lounge design and spend the time to make all of the necessary jigs and templates to make it repeatable.

The body on this uke will be much wider than my previous ones, but will be substantially thinner; similar to the Kala thin bodied travel uke, but not quite that thin. I'm going to make the whole body out of solid myrtle wood with an ebony bridge and fretboard. Around the body, neck, and headstock will be a binding made of brass! I'm even going to make the saddle and nut out of solid brass as well. It's also going to try a zero-fret with a radiused fretboard.

It's supposed to look stylized, and the details I will be adding should give it an art deco look.

I will continue to post progress pics on this. I'm very excited to be building again, and I'm thrilled to be back on this forum!

IMG-0478.jpg

Sounds interesting. Brass binding huh? I don't think I've ever heard of that. Not sure about the brass nut and saddle idea though - would make tweaks quite a bit harder. The rest sounds good. Looking forward to how the design progresses.
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E Tenor - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Keystone Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE, steel string
    -KPK pineapple SLN - GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1 - gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET - Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Thanks, Jim!

Yeah, I'm prepared to take a lot of guff for the idea. I'm just going to try it out and see how it looks and sounds. If it doesn't work out the way I'd like, it would certainly be easy enough to change it to something more conventional.

I thought of the idea one day because I'm an engineer at a company that makes tools, and I found a little piece of brass in the maintenance room one day that I thought was the perfect size for a binding. It turned out to be way too small, but we have a metal distributor just a short ways away that has the perfect flat-stock for it. I just figured I'd give it a try!
    Last edited by finkdaddy; 08-19-2017 at 01:38 PM.

Will you design, which looks pretty cool with bigger lower bout, fit in a tenor HSC. On thing that is important to me is that any tenor I buy has to fit a tenor HSC.

Brass saddles can be found on Tiples.

Horrendous intonation past the 4th, which is is why I compensated the ones I made for Ramon Camarillo and Samson Sang.
    Last edited by Kekani; 08-19-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Sounds unique! Looking forward to the process!
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

"Hold everything with open hands." PereBourik

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Brass saddles can be found on Tiples.

Horrendous intonation past the 4th, which is is why I compensated the ones I made for Ramon Camarillo and Samson Sang.
    Kehani, are you saying that those instruments have horrendous intonation because if the way they are built, or because of the brass saddles?

Quote Originally Posted by M3Ukulele View Post
    Will you design, which looks pretty cool with bigger lower bout, fit in a tenor HSC. On thing that is important to me is that any tenor I buy has to fit a tenor HSC.
    M3Ukelele, you just totally ruined my day. I worked for days on that design and it never even occurred to me to check my HSC dimensions! Ugh. This design would be way to wide to fit in my Oscar Schmitt case. It probably wouldn't even fit in a baritone case. Oh well. As they say, back to the drawing board!

Edit: Ok, I just did all kinds of measuring. If I bring down the width by just a half inch on both sides, it should fit into a tenor case. My only concern is the roundness of the lower bout. It basically moves the whole shape forward in the case and I'm worried that it will interfere with the shape of the case. If I reduce the radius of the lower bout, instead of just moving it in by a half inch, it may eliminate both problems. I'll let you know once I redraw everything. Thank you so much for thinking of this before I got down to actually cutting wood!
    Last edited by finkdaddy; 08-20-2017 at 01:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by finkdaddy View Post
    Kehani, are you saying that those instruments have horrendous intonation because if the way they are built, or because of the brass saddles?
    The Tiples I've seen have thin saddles, including the brass. Not so good for compensating.
    I used my "normal" ukulele saddle on the Tiples, 1/8", and it works better for me.

I mention it because if a brass saddle were used, I think it'll have a better chance on an ukulele, than a Tiple. As mentioned, adjustments would need effort, but if you machined a nut, that would be interesting.
    Last edited by Kekani; 08-20-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by finkdaddy View Post
    M3Ukelele, you just totally ruined my day. I worked for days on that design and it never even occurred to me to check my HSC dimensions! Ugh. This design would be way to wide to fit in my Oscar Schmitt case. It probably wouldn't even fit in a baritone case. Oh well. As they say, back to the drawing board!

Edit: Ok, I just did all kinds of measuring. If I bring down the width by just a half inch on both sides, it should fit into a tenor case. My only concern is the roundness of the lower bout. It basically moves the whole shape forward in the case and I'm worried that it will interfere with the shape of the case. If I reduce the radius of the lower bout, instead of just moving it in by a half inch, it may eliminate both problems. I'll let you know once I redraw everything. Thank you so much for thinking of this before I got down to actually cutting wood!
    Fred, glad to see you building again.

Larger width tenors like a Moodyville use a baritone case. Or like JazzBoxUkes you could build your own case.

One more thing, brass frets will tarnish & discolor and don't look that nice to me when discolored. Maybe go with EVO-Gold frets if you want a good looking 'yellow' metal fret.
    Last edited by Doc_J; 08-20-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Thread Information