Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leeward Lounge Ukes, back to the drawing board

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Fred, glad to see you building again.

Larger width tenors like a Moodyville use a baritone case. Or like JazzBoxUkes you could build your own case.

One more thing, brass frets will tarnish & discolor and don't look that nice to me when discolored. Maybe go with EVO-Gold frets if you want a good looking 'yellow' metal fret.
    Thanks, Doc J! Yeah I wasn't planning on doing brass frets at all. I did look at the EVO-Gold frets and may go with that. If not, the classic nickel ones will do. I will look into the dimensions of the Moodyville ukes. Thanks for the heads up!

EDIT: Actually, Doc J, it turns out that my design would easily fit inside of a baritone HSC! This poses the question, should I keep my original design, or do I size it down for a tenor HSC? Would you be willing to buy a high-end tenor uke that needed a baritone sized case? (I'm not asking you to buy it. It's just a hypothetical! Ha!)
    Last edited by finkdaddy; 08-20-2017 at 11:48 AM.

I don't see why the case would be an issue. As long as there is a case that works for those that want a HSC, what's the problem?
    Current Stable:
    -Ohana TKS-15E Tenor - Eb cuatro
    -Iriguchi Keystone Tenor "Weeble" - Bb, SC SMU
    -Blue Star 19" baritone Konablaster - DGBE, steel string
    -KPK pineapple SLN - GCEA
    -Cocobolo 16" SC#1 - gCEA, SC SLMU
    -Ono #42 19" baritone, Ab, LW
    -Imua iET - Bb, M600
    -Covered Bridge CLN pineapple - Eb cuatro, SC XLL
    -Rogue bari
    Once upon a time:
    -RISA Concert Stick
    -Bruko sop. custom #6
    -Lanikai lam hog bari
    -Kala SLNG
    -Bruko bari
    -Gold Tone BUT

Jim's Blog

Making an ukulele fit a case? Seems like cart before the horse to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    Yeah, I've already decided to go with my original plan, regardless of the case issue. I was just thinking that I would really like to sell a few of these, so I wanted to make something that pleased everyone. However, upon further consideration, I decided that my original, large body idea would stand me apart from the typical builds.

Thanks for all of the input!

Fink daddy,
    I have a Moodyville. Doc is correct it fits a baritone hard shell case. Mine came with a canvas hard foam case, which got smacked during a shipping. I also find that the foam HSC don't hold the humidity inthe case as well as a plywood HSC. I purchased a Musicians Friend baritone case it it works fine but....it big. I suggested to Shelly at Moodyville that she might get a Chinese maker to build a case to fit. Or you could approach Andrew at HMS to make you a custom case. Either way, if you build the bigger body tenor and are happy with the sound..... they will come if you build it. Good luck with your re design. I like different thing so will watch to see what you do. If I could get a baritone case that was not as long in length then perhaps I could take my Moodyville with me on plane trips. It's a great player. I've never had problems traveling with a standard tenor HSC but could see resistance to a bigger baritone case. Airlines are getting picky these day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekani View Post
    I completely agree. Luis of LfdM designed and builds baritones with a larger body than normal and it does not fit a standard baritone case. The solution was to contact Americase with his dimensions and have them build a custom case for it. He orders them in 4 - 6 at a time for best pricing. Yes they are still expensive but he just charges his cost, includes them with the instrument and the cost is built into the total price quoted. It is a great way to insure the instrument is protected by a properly fitting case.
    Ukuleles.............yes please !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
    I completely agree. Luis of LfdM designed and builds baritones with a larger body than normal and it does not fit a standard baritone case. The solution was to contact Americase with his dimensions and have them build a custom case for it. He orders them in 4 - 6 at a time for best pricing. Yes they are still expensive but he just charges his cost, includes them with the instrument and the cost is built into the total price quoted. It is a great way to insure the instrument is protected by a properly fitting case.
    This is a great idea and is something I will definitely look at! And then I could get my logo printed on the case and everything. Exciting!

I spent some of my morning sourcing and pricing materials and tools and putting together a list of what I need and/or want. It's amazing to me that anyone manages to sell any hand built ukes at all when you consider how much it costs to build one!

Since coming home from my day job, I've managed to work on my prints as well. There is so much that still needs to be done, and I'm sure that as I finally get into my actual build process, that most of what I'm doing will change. But it sure is fun to do!

IMG_0491.jpg

Keep UU posted. I like the looks and would like to see one when made. The bigger lower bout really gives a fuller sound judging from mt experience with my Moodyville. Custom case idea is a good one also. Jake uses a case that isn't traditional shape and he seems to travel everywhere with it. Looking forward to more.

I like the design, very curious about the brass binding. How will you glue it? And that end block looks a bit massive. I think you could use some half inch baltic plywood so it doesn't stick into the soundboard as far.
    Building blog - http://www.argapa.blogspot.com
    Music and atrocities - http://www.goodcopbadcop.se

Thread Information