Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Leeward Lounge Ukes, back to the drawing board

Concerning Brass frets, I've used then on a couple of projects. I liked them as they had very low crowns. Haven't noticed any discoloring of the fret board or greening of the frets. The SF Bay Area is benign and they haven't had allot of handling. If I had my druthers, I would have used bar frets like the old Martins. They are easy to set or reset the highth with out using a file. I just can't find the narrow silver nickle kind and guitar bar frets are too wide for my liking.

A couple of nights ago I finished up my 15' radius dish sanding jig. I used a piece of 3/4" plywood - the good stuff that has both sides hardened and coated in epoxy. Then I attached varying thicknesses of plywood that I thinned down using one of those safety-planer deals on my drill press. Then I glued and screwed everything together under a 1/8" thick piece of MDF and attached some 80 grit sand paper. I'm pretty pleased with my results!

IMG-0519.jpg

Just moments ago I thicknessed all of my tonewood down to a skosh over 2.5mm, and tomorrow I think I will glue my bookmatched tops and bottoms together. Once those have all dried I will scrape all of those down to something close to their final thicknesses, leaving just a tad for final sanding.

Ok, so I've finally stopped procrastinating and started actually cutting the expensive wood! As you see, I've glued my tops and bottoms together, bent my sides over my new side-bending form, and glued in my kerfing. Just now I glued in my sound hole patch and it's drying in one of my go-bar decks. The soundboard and back are just slightly oversized, maybe by a 1/8" or so. They will get trimmed down once I route out the binding channel.

It's been ages since I've had this much fun! I love the whole puzzle-solving aspect of building. I guess it's why I chose to be an engineer by trade.

IMG-0528.jpg
    IMG-0529.jpg
    IMG-0530.jpg
    IMG-0532.jpg
    IMG-0535.jpg
    Last edited by finkdaddy; 09-26-2017 at 10:19 AM.

After a lot of fooling around, I finally got my top attached and the top binding put in. Overall, I'm very happy with it. Now that I have a better understanding of how the brass acts, the rest of the uke should go much more smoothly. It is still pretty rough yet. Once it is all filled and polished smooth, everything should really pop.

IMG_0541.jpgIMG_0540.jpgIMG_0542.jpgIMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

Is there a way to rotate attachments?

Very clean build. The brass binding looks great. Did you pre-bend the brass or work it into place and glue?

BTW I'd probably go with EVO Gold frets go with the brass binding.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_J View Post
    Very clean build. The brass binding looks great. Did you pre-bend the brass or work it into place and glue?

BTW I'd probably go with EVO Gold frets go with the brass binding.
    Thanks, Doc_J! Originally, my intent was to work it and glue it as I went, but the brass was way harder than I was imagining. So I tried to use the same form I used to bend the sides, but the brass had quite a lot of spring back. In the end, I simply bent everything by hand to get it as close as possible to the final shape, and then worked it in and held it in place until the glue dried.

And I already have the EVO Gold fretwire sitting on my bench!
    Last edited by finkdaddy; 10-01-2017 at 02:15 PM.

Thread Information