Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 inch neck.

I'll be at the local uke jam this coming Saturday, and I'll see if anyone has a Kala Elite concert that I can strum for a few minutes. There were about 30-40 people at the jam last month, so maybe I'll get lucky. Maybe someone will even have a Loprinzi?????

A new concert uke would be a Christmas present to myself, so no huge rush. However, I think I've contracted UAS in just 4 short months of playing, so who knows. I was saving up for a tenor when one got dropped in my lap, so I still have that money burning a hole in my pocket

Quote Originally Posted by igorthebarbarian View Post
    I thought I would like it, but it's noticeable even going from a Fluke Concert up to a Fluke Tenor. The Tenor is slightly wider and it messes with my brain/ finger tendencies. I prefer the narrower one on the Concert, but I do have smaller hands
    I have both concert and tenor Fleas, and concert and tenor Flukes, and have not noticed any difference in the neck or nut width.

String spacing 'seems' the same to me, but I have not measured it yet, but will and report back.

MFC says that the concerts are a 1.4" nut and tenors are 1.45" nut. I guess some folks are more sensitive to a 0.05" difference in width.

see the specs here: http://www.magicfluke.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=1830
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

I have a couple of each. When asked if I can feel the difference, I have to say no. But, I find the 1.5 easier. So There is definitely a difference, though I cannot feel it. Up to you to figure it out.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    MFC says that the concerts are a 1.4" nut and tenors are 1.45" nut. I guess some folks are more sensitive to a 0.05" difference in width.
    As I noted above, nut width doesn't necessarily correlate well to string spacing—and the spacing isn't consistent even over models from the same maker. There is as much variation in string spacing on standard nut ukes as between standard- and wider-nut models; sometimes the spacing on wider models is the same as or even less than on standard ones, as my measurements above demonstrated. This makes the opinions many people voice about wider-nut ukes quite dubious.

I believe that folks are reacting mostly according to their expectations of how it should feel. It is also more likely that the difference they attribute to the wider nut is actually due to an unrelated wider fan-out at the saddle, which alters the string spacing more significantly when moving up the neck. The saddle spread depends far more on the brand than on whether the instrument has a standard or wider nut. Folks may also be reacting to unrelated factors, like neck thickness or even action; they attribute any difference to the wider nut because it's the only advertised, obvious difference. Sadly, the factors which matter more are rarely spec'd. Experiences also vary according to playing approach: for instance, neck cradlers are more likely to feel a difference in nut width, whatever the string spacing, but they're hardly ones to take advice from on feel or good ergonomics. So, take what most people say about wider nuts with a huge dose of salt.

The good news is that if you have a wider-nut model, you can always have the nut replaced with one cut for either a wider or narrower string spacing, to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post
    As I noted above, nut width doesn't necessarily correlate well to string spacing—and the spacing isn't consistent even over models from the same maker. There is as much variation in string spacing on standard nut ukes as between standard- and wider-nut models; sometimes the spacing on wider models is the same as or even less than on standard ones, as my measurements above demonstrated. This makes the opinions many people voice about wider-nut ukes quite dubious.

I believe that folks are reacting mostly according to their expectations of how it should feel. It is also more likely that the difference they attribute to the wider nut is actually due to an unrelated wider fan-out at the saddle, which alters the string spacing more significantly when moving up the neck. The saddle spread depends far more on the brand than on whether the instrument has a standard or wider nut. Folks may also be reacting to unrelated factors, like neck thickness or even action; they attribute any difference to the wider nut because it's the only advertised, obvious difference. Sadly, the factors which matter more are rarely spec'd. Experiences also vary according to playing approach: for instance, neck cradlers are more likely to feel a difference in nut width, whatever the string spacing, but they're hardly ones to take advice from on feel or good ergonomics. So, take what most people say about wider nuts with a huge dose of salt.

The good news is that if you have a wider-nut model, you can always have the nut replaced with one cut for either a wider or narrower string spacing, to suit.
    No worries ubu, you bring up some very good points.

I've seen on some of my sopranos, all with a 34-35mm nut that the string spacing varies. The Martin 0XK, being wider than my Makala Ukadelic Tie-Dye, and the Makala was wider than the cheapie Mahalo or Melokia sopranos as well.

I had measured them all once with digital calipers, but did not write down the string span measurement, but recall that the Martin and the Uakdelic felt more comfortable than the other two, so I can confirm first-hand that what you describe about the string-span and string-to-string spacing at the nut varies...

Also, I have a Lanikai LU21B baritone that the string spacing at the bridge is only about 11mm between strings, and on my Makala KA-B baritone, the spacing is 15mm.

My Fluke and Flea ukes are all 14mm at the bridge in this regard. Using fingernails, I find wider spacing at the bridge is more comfortable to play fingerstyle and campanella.
    Just the FAQs
    "Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go."
    -T. S. Eliot

I'm new to playing and like the sound of a tenor more than a concert. Would putting on a new nut moving the strings closer together really affect whether or not you can reach barre chords, etc? Aren't you still reaching across the same width across fretboard and the same space between frets? I have really small hands (under 6" from wrist to tip of middle finger).

Well, no luck on any Loprinzi or Kala Elite concert ukes at the Salt Lake uke jam today. About 50 people at the jam, and no one had either of them. There is a person with a Loprinzi, but he wasn't there today, and he has a baritone.

I think my Teton concert has a pretty slim neck, so that gives me an idea on the Loprinzi or the Kala Elite slim neck model. I think that sticking a capo on the second or third fret of my Islander tenor might mimic the Kala Elite with the 1.5 inch neck in a very general way. Slim chance that I'll find a Kala Elite or Loprinzi concert to test drive, unless I stumble across a local owner by accident. I'll save up my money and give some more thought to what will work for me.

I wouldn't do this. The strings are spaced at the bridge, as they are at the nut, for a wider neck. So, the strings would not be parallel to the edges of the neck. This may cause no difficulties, although it may. You might wish to set up an instrument this way and it may work okay. But it will never be optimal. I will choose one or the other for each instrument.
    If everybody wanted peace instead of another TV, then there would be peace.
    -John Lennon-

Wouldn't the change of angle be infinitesimal?
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Just measured some of my ukes as this thread got me curious. My Koaloha tenor measured 1.5. My cheap Kmise tenor 1 3/8. The string spacing is exactly the same at the nut, 3/8. The Koaloha just has more at the sides, which I like, it helps prevent roll off. A vintage Sherwood [Gretch] soprano also has a 1.5 neck [almost] with the same string spacing.
    there is no substitute for LOVE

Thread Information