Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 1.5 inch neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    That is an interesting observation.I wonder how many people are playing a uke with a 1.5" neck because they think that they are getting more space for their fingers, but really aren't ?
    Good question. I dont have an answer Reminds me of the phrase 'perception is reality'...
    Just the FAQs _____Less > more._____Serenity now, insanity later._____Live Long and Prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    That is an interesting observation.I wonder how many people are playing a uke with a 1.5" neck because they think that they are getting more space for their fingers, but really aren't ?
    This question can be answered by a set of calipers, which are very affordable.
    Maybe we should start a data base?
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Booli View Post
    Good question. I dont have an answer Reminds me of the phrase 'perception is reality'...
    MY reality is the best!!!
    Playing my Magic Fluke and grinning like a fool!

I did a quick measure with a measuring tape. Not as precise as calibers, but ballpark. The string spacing on my 1.5 inch nut tenor and my 1 3/8 concert are the same at the 1 fret and 5th fret. Must be the overall size difference from concert to tenor that made me "feel" like the spacing was wider???? Perception vs reality.....interesting!
    Last edited by RafterGirl; 08-28-2017 at 06:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I did a quick measure with a measuring tape. Not as precise as calibers, but ballpark. The string spacing on my 1.5 inch nut tenor and my 1 3/8 concert are the same at the 1 fret and 5th fret. Must be the overall size difference from concert to tenor that made me "feel" like the spacing was wider???? Perception vs reality.....interesting!
    yes - maybe there's some kind of magic spell or hypnotic effect from the bling of a certain uke being so 'shiny' that the visuals can convince us that everything else is 'improved'... like a specific kind of confirmation bias...
    Just the FAQs _____Less > more._____Serenity now, insanity later._____Live Long and Prosper.

Quote Originally Posted by ubulele View Post

After looking at the various metrics involved, I know this is surely the case, for myself as well as others. The impact on "reach" gets particularly over-exaggerated: even with small hands, it's at most a 6% increase, more usually 3-4%; while those same folks overlook the advantages with clustered and awkward fingerings and cleaner play (up to 11% more room). Children manage quite well on standard necks, where the size difference between their hands and an adult "small" hand is much greater than 6%. It's valid to have a preference based on reach, but I think it's mostly throwing the baby out with the bathwater—the reach advantage you get staying narrower is appreciably less than the playing advantages you get going with a wider string spacing—and anyway it turns out there's more of a continuum of spacings than a discrete jump (from 27mm to 31.5mm), so the savvy buyer can choose a suitable compromise. My Mainland concert has a 29mm spacing, equivalent to or greater than the spacing on half of my wider-nut ukes, yet I've heard no one complain about reach problems on a Mainland. And I mentioned above about Ponos and their fan-out, which also typically goes unremarked. Expectations often override objective input in shaping our experiences.
    This all makes a lot of sense to me.

If the intonation is good enough, I leave it alone, but if not I adjust nut/saddle as needed, and most of the time the string spacing is not an issue for me unless I am playing a D chord, which I always use a barred-C, up two frets as 2225.

While this puts the octave on the 1st string, I find it works for me because with closer chord voicings and many notes shared (like Am to F to Dm) the chord transition can get lost (in the cadence of the notes in transition or shared among those kinds of chords in first position), so a D 2225 or an E 4447 is fine for me, because it lets the root note ring out as an octave and is usually heard distinctively above the other notes...

Sometimes I have trouble with applying enough pressure for the barred part, but that is more due to hand problems than which instrument I am on and the issue occurs regardless of which uke I play.

None of my current ukes have radiused fretboards, which is something I might try in the future.

Since I've gotten into fifths tunings, I tried out several tenor banjos (4-string) and several mandolins, and with a 30mm nut width, and often a 23-25mm string span width, I found even 2-finger chords difficult...

...and that is why I converted the nut and saddle and bridge on a $99 22" scale Oscar Schmidt guitar with a 1.5" nut width from a 6-string to a 4-string, and have it strung in fifths tuning as a tenor guitar.

The string span width at the nut for 4 strings now is approximately like an average baritone uke and I am really loving the wide string span at the bridge of about 54mm which makes finger picking much easier and allows me to get some flesh under the strings instead of having my natural nails get shaved down from the friction with steel strings.

It's a different playing technique for the right hand, but allows me a wider variety of ways to articulate the attack on the strings, and I can still use my nails for strumming (I've grown a distaste for using a pick since taking up ukulele, and have nor used a pick in over 4 yrs now for any instrument)....

Thread Information